• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucius

I am really impressed with Yu Darvish finally a Japanese pitcher that should live up to the hype. It has only been a few games but the guy has awesome stuff as long as he stays healthy he should dominate.

I was not paying attention in off season, but was there much of a bidding war for Darvish?

Hats off to Texas for landing him, I mean he might be the World Series difference.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Posted yet?

10 Most Expensive Beers in Baseball:

10. Tie: Baltimore Orioles/Los Angeles Dodgers
Price of a small draft beer: $6.25

The O's held to last year's price for an 18-ounce beer, while the recently sold Dodgers are charging 25 cents more for a 16-ounce cup than they did in 2011. With both starting the season on a high note, maybe fans won't notice until the first slump.

9. Tie: Chicago White Sox/Texas Rangers/Washington Nationals/
Price of a small draft beer: $6.50

The White Sox and Washington held the line from 2011, but really, Rangers? Hiking the price of a 16-ounce cup by $1.50? We know you've been to two World Series in the past two years, but shouldn't you win one before trying that?

8. St. Louis Cardinals
Price of a small draft beer: $6.75

The price hasn't changed since last year, but c'mon. You're practically bicycling Anheuser-Busch InBev(BUD) products in from the brewery and the stadium has the Busch family's name on it. This must hurt even worse for Cards fans knowing that they're paying more for 12 ounces of beer than their fellow beer-ballpark fans pay for a pint at Milwaukee's Miller Park ($5.75) or Colorado's Coors(TAP) Field ($6).

7. Atlanta Braves
Price of a small draft beer: $7

Your team collapses at the end of last season and fails to make the playoffs and you still raise the price of a 16-ounce beer by 25 cents. No wonder Coca-Cola(KO) is so popular in the ATL.

6. Chicago Cubs
Price of a small draft beer: $7

No playoffs, a new general manager and the price of a pint of beer jumps 50 cents. We won't talk about curses, Cubs fans, but at least Theo Epstein didn't bring Boston's beer prices with him.

5. Toronto Blue Jays
Price of a small draft beer: $7.19

It's a rough estimate given the exchange rate, but still 15 cents more than last year's price per 14 ounces -- when they're selling it. The Jays have been forced to make Rogers Centre alcohol free for three games this season, including opening day, after the local alcohol commission punished the venue for allowing drunkenness and sales to minors.

4. Boston Red Sox
Price of a small draft beer: $7.25

No change in price for what was the most expensive 12 ounces of Major League beer in 2011. Maybe new coach Bobby Valentine is deflecting some of the flak from the beer vendors.

3. Philadelphia Phillies
Price of a small draft beer: $7.75

The price of beer goes up a buck in Citizens Bank Park, but at least the "small" is still 21 ounces. At 37 cents an ounce, that's still a better deal by volume than fans are getting anywhere on this list except Baltimore.

2. Miami Marlins
Price of a small draft beer: $8

OK, so the team has a new stadium to pay for, a new manager with a penchant for praising Cuban dictators, new high-priced free agent signings and its own special on Showtime. That may warrant the 55.4% hike in ticket prices, but not an extra buck for 16 ounces of beer.

1. Detroit Tigers
Price of a small draft beer: $8.75

Know that $214 million contract the Tigers gave slugger Prince Fielder? Well, fans are paying for it with a $2.75 hike in the price of a small beer. Granted, that small beer's size just increased from 16 ounces to a Fielderesque 20 ounces, but that's still an increase of more than three cents an ounce. Detroit's "Halftime In America" just hit a wallet-sized speed bump between innings.

zulux21

My gamecast said that Konerko of all people was caught trying to steal second base.

wut

I didn't see anyone answer this so I will.
there was a passed ball, and konerko went to second on it, but the catcher got to the ball and threw him out since konerko is so slow lol

also tying run on third with 1 out... come on white sox drive it in.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Best trade EVER.

Can't wait for Pineda to never make it up to the majors, while Montero hits 25+ HR a year in Seattle for 10 years.

Montero is going to do nothing. Pineda will never throw another pitch in his career.

Yankees win deal when Jose Campos is a phenom in a few years.

Talon

I didn't see anyone answer this so I will.
there was a passed ball, and konerko went to second on it, but the catcher got to the ball and threw him out since konerko is so slow lol

also tying run on third with 1 out... come on white sox drive it in.
That's some Jim Thome-level speed.

zulux21

That's some Jim Thome-level speed.

actually when Jim Thome played with the White Sox I felt he was a little faster than konerko... either way when they were both on base you needed two hits or a home run to score the guy on second.... it was depressing.

bizofbaseball.com said:
10 Good and Not So Good Things About MLB: Part 1 - The Not Good
“Give me the bad news first” – Anonymous
Thankfully, I am not Bud Selig. That goes for both you as a fan, and I as one that wouldn’t want that responsibility. Still, I get questions (seemingly daily) about what is deemed to be good and bad about how baseball is administered. The answers are my opinion, but given how often I’m asked, maybe it’s time to roll them out here for all to discuss.
The say it’s always good to get the bad news first, so today I’m rolling out some areas I’d like to see MLB work on. In a bit of reflection, I’m finding this harder to do today than a decade ago. Still…

1) Fix the Blackout Policy – Those at the league reading this are surely saying, “Not this again.” I’ve been pounding my head on the desk for so long on this topic I feel like I’m flogging a dead horse. Still, the cost—both literal and figurative—on consumers is enough to warrant talking about it. The league needs to address the issue of their local and national blackout policy. It’s arcane and restrictive in terms of making their product (baseball games via television, internet, and mobile devices) available to all that want to watch it. It makes no sense that nearly all of the Pacific Northwest is hit with a blackout policy due to granting a massive swath to the Mariners. Someone in Boise, Idaho isn’t going to get up and drive to Seattle because, by golly, the game is blacked out. Here’s the solution: keep the territories for the need of the clubs. For blackouts, apply something similar to what the NFL does (a radius around the ballpark) to drive fans away from their set-tops and into the ballpark. Better yet, give access to anyone that wants it for a fee. If it’s within a blackout area, add an extra charge to allow “in market” viewing.

2) Create a “G4 Fund” for Ballpark Development – It’s worked for the NFL, and now that MLB is seeing the central revenue pie growing, create a “G4” type fund. For those that aren’t up on this, the NFL has created a pool of funds that those that are looking to develop new stadiums. The reason MLB needs this is simple: they’ve drank from the public taxpayers’ well too heavily. One can argue whether there should be any public dollars going to MLB—a private enterprise. At the very least, cover some of this within your own house, baseball.

3) Figure Out How to Deal with Local TV Rights Revenues Overturning the Economic Disparity Cart – I’m not sure how baseball deals with this, but it’s something that is expanding and with it, creating a wider chasm between the haves and the have-nots in baseball: local media rights deals. This used to be something where everyone pointed to the Red Sox and Yankees and bemoaned how just those two AL East teams were at far greater economic advantage. Now, with the Rangers, Angels, and soon-to-be, Dodgers landing television deals that dwarf what has been garnered prior, some clubs have far more resources to use than others. Some may say, this is the way it should be; some markets simply have an advantage over others. Some will say that a league is only as strong as its weakest link. If MLB wishes to see parity in the standings, this explosion of television contract money has to be addressed in some capacity. Or, maybe it won’t. After all, it’s not like there haven’t been local television deals going on with the league for decades. The difference is amount of money in the deals. Clubs with small television territories and/or small Designated Market Areas (DMA) are not going to garner deals of the magnitude we are currently witnessing.

4) Work to Market the Game Better – Baseball is getting better at this, but it needs some help. Part of MLB’s marketing problem is the design of the game itself. The game is slower and it’s timeframes are undefined (read: it ain’t over, till it’s over). But, expanding upon programming such as Showtime’s “The Franchise” would help grow the game beyond its core audience. The difficulty with “The Franchise” is that it’s on a subscription tier of television that not everyone has access to. If you can get FOX, ESPN, or TBS to do like programming, it would help show the personalities of the players to a broader audience.

5) Get the “A’s to San Jose” Matter Sorted Out – Some will ask why the Rays aren’t in this list, but the A’s situation has been languishing for a longer period of time, and is in need of a decision. Let Lew Wolff and John Fisher have their vote at the owners meetings next month. One way or the other, they’ll at least know where they are truly at so they can sell or relocate. This is one issue that’s been hanging out there for far too long.

Maury Brown always a good read. I def. agree with moving the As and the blackout policy. Funds for stadium sounds like good idead too.

FUCK. That hurts. That hurts way worse than the usual eat-a-bad-free-agent-signing the Yankees usually absorb.

Anyway, Mariano Rivera is signing baseballs at Macys tomorrow at 4 PM. The catch--you have to be one of the first 300 people there buying that fucking Yankees perfume.

I don't really ever get starstruck because I'm a jaded New Yorker. But Mo is someone I would really really really like to say I met once and got an autograph from. But fucking perfume.

Talon

FUCK. That hurts. That hurts way worse than the usual eat-a-bad-free-agent-signing the Yankees usually absorb.

Anyway, Mariano Rivera is signing baseballs at Macys tomorrow at 4 PM. The catch--you have to be one of the first 300 people there buying that fucking Yankees perfume.

I don't really ever get starstruck because I'm a jaded New Yorker. But Mo is someone I would really really really like to say I met once and got an autograph from. But fucking perfume.
That's a lose-lose proposition if I've ever read one.

Bartolo is fine, I hoped he would just be a stop gap from calling up the other guys too soon. I love watching Milone pitch this year (loved him for the Nats too) and hopefully Dallas braden's screwball/perfect game type stuff remains intact upon his return.

Carlbeego

I like how quick you go from how bad it hurts to Mo signing autographs at Macys lol

ToxicAdam

Couldn't you have him sign the perfume and sell it on Ebay? Seems like you could get your money back on that deal.

Sanjuro

Bartolo is fine, I hoped he would just be a stop gap from calling up the other guys too soon. I love watching Milone pitch this year (loved him for the Nats too) and hopefully Dallas braden's screwball/perfect game type stuff remains intact upon his return.

Oh, I was talking about the Yankee fans.

Brinbe

Pre-trade MRI was clear. Yankees are saying it happened in his last ST start.
Damn... that's just terrible. Not much anyone can do to predict that.

I know it's a lot more rough with shoulder injuries, but I hope he someday can get back to where once was.

Malo

Banned
Cashman

“We believe this took place on the last pitch of his rehab outing”
We still win the deal, we have Campos.

:(
Edit:
Daniel Barbarisi
‏@DanBarbarisi

Pineda Rotator cuff is unaffected, so yankees are positive about his ability to regain old velocity.
I guess that's a positive.

I like how quick you go from how bad it hurts to Mo signing autographs at Macys lol

Haha, well I got an FB blurb about Riveras appearance and came here to post about my half-kidding dilemma (i'm not buying Yankee smell to get an autograph) only to read about Pineda.

Also, Mariano heals all wounds.

ToxicAdam

You can probably count on one hand the players who went into Dr. Andrews office and came out with a clean bill of health. Usually it's to set up your appointment and then lay out your rehab schedule.

Parch

Encarnacion is useless defensively at third. Same as last year. You hide his glove and keep him DH, or maybe just have him play first once in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom