• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, he will soon enough.

Probably this.

Our starting pitching is actually doing ok for right now believe it or not. Will it last? Who knows. Still have Tillman and Britton to bring up when they get healthy as well.

Bundy will definitely be up by mid year next year, barring injury of course. He's an absolute beast.

Did you brahs pick up Wada in the offseason?

tc farks

1. LaHair is fucking garbage. Sorry.

2. I agree with the rest. I'm pissed that the Cubs hired some intelligent front office people as the old regime was like a year away from destroying the Cubs for another decade! Hoyer especially will be the most important man in the rebuild. That said, my God. How is the Cubs pitching cupboard so bare?

LaHair probably is garbage. I won't acquiesce yet. Until then I'm enjoying the ride, and I'm always happy for a 29 year old rook.

Pitching needs a lot of help, without a doubt. The one strength of the old crap regime was actually developing pitching...Prior/Wood/Zambrano yeesh. Again, there are intriguing arms in the lower levels. In terms of up top the prospects are practically non-existent. McNutt and Whitenack have both emerged in the past couple of years only to be derailed by injuries.

Jeff Samardzija looks fantastic so far though. And to say that would be a big help to the rotation would be an understatement. Hopefully Garza signs a long term extension. Beyond that there are multiple mid/back-rotation arms in cost-controlled years...Chris Volstad/Randy Wells/Travis Wood. It's basically throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks. In June I have very little doubt McLeod and Wilken will be plucking up amateur arms like crazy.

McNei1y

13-4

guncelebgifg0awh.gif

This team needs offense desperately.

There's no way alot of those pitchers are that good. Washington needs to decide what bat to target and pawn off an overachieving pitcher before Tinnie Tempah (MLB style) happens.

tc farks

What are the early thoughts on Dale down in that shithole state?

Positive. Too early for any real conclusions. Even meatballs like Kaplan haven't had anything negative to say yet. Looks to be a very solid hire. Oh and the players loved his camp, for what that is worth.

eznark

Banned
Positive. Too early for any real conclusions. Even meatballs like Kaplan haven't had anything negative to say yet. Looks to be a very solid hire. Oh and the players loved his camp, for what that is worth.

Not surprising, players have always loved Svuem. No boneheaded bunts or anything?

McNei1y

There's no way alot of those pitchers are that good. Washington needs to decide what bat to target and pawn off an overachieving pitcher before Tinnie Tempah (MLB style) happens.

I'd fire off a deal with Detwiler for a CF/leadoff guy or corner bat ASAP. Either way, these pitchers are getting a freaking work out. Zimmermann never gets any run support yet he always pitches a hell of a game. It doesn't seem fair :lol

Prade

I'd fire off a deal with Detwiler for a CF/leadoff guy or corner bat ASAP. Either way, these pitchers are getting a freaking work out. Zimmermann never gets any run support yet he always pitches a hell of a game. It doesn't seem fair :lol

Johan has yet been given a run this season.

Really? Sharp has shown a strong dislike of Edwin Jackson but I think he works well on the Nats, he's another power righty arm. I'm not sure people view Detweiler with the same panache they do Jackson, but if "Deadwood" keeps this up for another month and a half you might get a leadoff guy.

Adam Rubin points out that the outfielder's 2014 option vests if one of two conditions are met: 500 plate appearances this year and next or 600 plate appearances in 2013. Bay currently has 57 plate appearances and the injury could impact the first condition.
60-Day DL that mofo.

McNei1y

Really? Sharp has shown a strong dislike of Edwin Jackson but I think he works well on the Nats, he's another power righty arm. I'm not sure people view Detweiler with the same panache they do Jackson, but if "Deadwood" keeps this up for another month and a half you might get a leadoff guy.

Well I wouldn't mind getting rid of Edwin Jackson but I feel like this team wouldn't touch Edwin because of how much he's paid. I mean, I could be wrong but the history of this team has made me assume that they wouldn't move him. It took them forever to get rid of crappy AAAA pitchers like Mock, because he was paid a decent amount. I think Detwiler is a great pitcher and I know other teams do too. Supposedly the Astros would have traded us Bourne for Detwiler and some others... I would've done it easily (depending on the others) but Rizzo didn't want to move Detwiler.

Bob Klapisch chimes in on the ridiculousness during last night's game w/ Jose Reyes
Let’s not quibble over what percentage of the Citi Field crowd booed Jose Reyes in his first at-bat Tuesday night. We’ll be kind and say only half declared war on the shortstop, even though it probably was more. But no matter – after the third inning, Reyes was treated to an ugly, full-blown trashing, which should’ve embarrassed any decent, fair-minded Mets fan.

Reyes did nothing wrong signing with the Marlins, the only team to offer him a contract last winter. The idea that Reyes is a traitor — or “garbage” as he was taunted during batting practice — isn’t just bad revisionist history, it’s an insult to the legacy of the most complete player to ever wear a Mets uniform.

You want to believe Reyes never was coming back? Here’s the better question: How can anyone know for sure, because Sandy Alderson wasn’t given permission to make an offer? The GM talked “parameters” with agent Peter Greenberg, but that was an empty exercise to cover for his bosses, the Wilpons, who didn’t have enough cash to write Reyes another check.

Truth is, the Mets were relieved – thrilled – the Marlins came along with their six-year, $106 million deal. Sure, it exceeded Reyes’ actual worth, but it succeeded in neatly taking the Wilpons off the hook. It allowed ownership to sell its postmortem spin to a fan base that needed to blame someone: If that’s the money Reyes was looking for, he never intended to play in Flushing again, anyway.

So the Wilpons have it both ways now. They pocketed Reyes’ salary and allowed him to look like the deserter. But what else was Reyes supposed to do with the Marlins’ offer, except to say yes? The real crime is that the Wilpons never reinvested any of that money on a reliable bench, which is too thin to absorb the sudden injuries to Jason Bay and Mike Pelfrey.

Well I wouldn't mind getting rid of Edwin Jackson but I feel like this team wouldn't touch Edwin because of how much he's paid. I mean, I could be wrong but the history of this team has made me assume that they wouldn't move him. It took them forever to get rid of crappy AAAA pitchers like Mock, because he was paid a decent amount. I think Detwiler is a great pitcher and I know other teams do too. Supposedly the Astros would have traded us Bourne for Detwiler and some others... I would've done it easily (depending on the others) but Rizzo didn't want to move Detwiler.
What's the timeline on Mike Morse? Didn't he have a setback a week ago?

Washington really is in a position to take the drivers' seat in the East with their start, so I'm watching their situation with interest. Strasburg/Gio/Zimmerman is a young legit stud Top 3, Espinoza and Desmond are hitting (wtf Desmond?), and if teams forget about The Lidge Rules they'll have a solid closer. They're dealing with alot of recent injures though so the moves they'll make will be key. What will they subtract from the minors/roster to get what player? And when? I find those decisions fascinating for teams.

jakncoke

Banned
Alvarez is sooooo fucking bad. When will this nightmare end?

edit: 50 pitches through 4, what sorcery is this. He should be at like 86 loolol

Jangocube

Banned
Did you brahs pick up Wada in the offseason?

Yeah, he's done for though.

An MRA has revealed ligament damage in Tsuyoshi Wada's left elbow.
Orioles manager Buck Showalter wouldn't elaborate more than that, but it's obviously not good news. The Japanese import has dealt with elbow issues since the beginning of spring training, and it sounds like Tommy John surgery could possibly be in his future. We'll update his condition when more is known.

jakncoke

Banned
James McDonald has a no hitter though 6 innings.

Who the hell is James McDonald?

a dude that was OF turned P who struggles to reach the 6th because of he cant keep his pitch counts down

edit: welp at least I dont have to worry about missing the end of a no hitter due to work. But lets get this win

tc farks

still hate you alvarez you fuck

I remember watching this guy in AAA, I was sitting behind home plate for an Indianapolis Indians game. The only thing that I can remember from that game was being very unimpressed by Alvarez. I was there with my dad and it was hard for him to believe he was a 2nd overall pick.

Guy has all the power in the world, too.

tc farks

Yeah Ramirez usually doesn't hit till like June.

I miss the Aram slams. I hate that you get to do those now.

What do the Cubs have, like one home run in 10 days? Dat power!

To be fair, the fence is far away.

Clevenger is hitting .550, not a bad 20 something PA's for a backup C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom