• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoo, Brendan Ryan. Doesn't make up for hitting .170 (from the two hole!) but that's some good D right thurr.

EDIT: He's hitting .157. We've got our own Dunn.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Hey alright! Cardinals finally got their first real sweep of the season! Also Rays win, so tonight was a good night for baseball, so it has been decided.

ZeroRay

Marlins consistently have entertaining games and is managed by a Latino, the similarities are endless.

Plus the Marlins won more world championships than The Miz.

Malo

Banned
Miz has been a WWE champ and was in the main event of Wrestlemania.

Marlins will never be that good.
Marlins won a championship and have been jobbing to the to the rest of the league ever since.

I CAME TO JOB!!!
i37rlCwuGR0Ov.gif

Terry Collins was on Mike Fatcesa and was asked why is this team so resilient and come back from the abyss every time they look like they're ready to fall in. Although Collins said the veterans like Santana, Wright and Dickey have really been great leaders he also said the team has so many young players that they really don't know they're supposed to be bad.

I admit, I laughed at that one.
The Mets are scarily better than everyone thought they would be.

Will they re-sign Wright?
It's amazing what replacing Jason Bay with Kirk Nieuwenhuis will do to a lineup. Although the Mike Pelfrey injury has hurt, they still can't find a replacement. And the think Ike Davis has been slumping bigtime, and Ruben Tejada/Jose Thole (both hitting over .300) are on the DL. I think they resign Wright, especially since the Wilpons won't lose their pants. I'm just enjoying the team's fight right now.

EDIT:
murphy1-580x273.png

and people wonder why I call him Bitchtorino

Prade

I think at the very least, the Mets are proving that they aren't a complete lock for only 70 wins. Doesn't matter how much talent you have, if the game isn't played well you just won't win. The Run differential stat doesn't really do this team justice. I think they're something like 11-3 in games decided by 2 runs or less? Something to that extent gets over looked because they've played a few laughter's so far this season. Staying healthy is going to be their biggest test as the last few seasons saw good starts like this go to waste thanks to the usual rash of stupid injuries.

balddemon

Banned
Any royals fans here? Who wants to wallow in misery with me.

Except we beat the sox tonight. Yeehaw

Now there are some fans I can sympathize with.

clemenx

Banned
Eh, the Mets had a bad stretch before winning these 5 in a row, and everyone was already saying we had come back to earth.
I still think we finish far from playoffs but I guess it's good to see they won't lose 100 games or anything.

Sharp

I think at the very least, the Mets are proving that they aren't a complete lock for only 70 wins. Doesn't matter how much talent you have, if the game isn't played well you just won't win. The Run differential stat doesn't really do this team justice. I think they're something like 11-3 in games decided by 2 runs or less? Something to that extent gets over looked because they've played a few laughter's so far this season. Staying healthy is going to be their biggest test as the last few seasons saw good starts like this go to waste thanks to the usual rash of stupid injuries.
Yeah... 11-3 in games decided by 2 runs or less isn't exactly something that should inspire a lot of confidence.

I had the Mets finishing third before the season begun. So far, looks possible. A problem mite be the 5thworst starter. No way Batista can stay in that role for long.

Yeah... 11-3 in games decided by 2 runs or less isn't exactly something that should inspire a lot of confidence.

Eh? Winning your close games is a huge stat. It's basically the dividing line between good and bad teams in every sport. You can be downright average, but if you win your battles, bang, you're a playoff team. "11-3 in games decided by 2 runs or less" is a battle stat, and a positive one. Not sure why you'd want to shun confidence that might emerge from it.

Jenrry Mejia pitched 5 innings yesterday and everyone is saying he looked good. After 3 more starts in the minors, the Mets will decide on his role. Either start or relive in the big leagues. Hope he starts. get Batista out of here!

Sharp

Eh? Winning your close games is a huge stat. It's basically the dividing line between good and bad teams in every sport. You can be downright average, but if you win your battles, bang, you're a playoff team. "11-3 in games decided by 2 runs or less" is a battle stat, and a positive one. Not sure why you'd want to shun confidence that might emerge from it.
Because most teams go around .500 in close games, good or bad. In baseball and basketball, at least. The good teams actually differentiate themselves in blowouts. Remember, a close win is a bloop hit away from a close loss. The Nats got off to a huge lead in 2005 largely on the strength of their record in close games with a negative run differential, but by the end of the year reality took over.

eznark

Banned

They are still allowing more runs than they are scoring, which has to be at least a bit troubling. It's nice to see them bounce back though after the sweep by Houston. I still just don't think they have the pitching to get it done.

The Mets were losing in the 7th all three games I believe. It is good for them that they didnt give up, but I think that has more to do with the Phils bullpen being a mess right now, and a few guys making huge mental mistakes. I really dont think that is sustainable for the Mets for a whole season. The Phils have to look long and hard about totally changing their bullpen. Schwimer, and Kendricks cant pitch at the major league level, and Sanchse looks like he is going to fail miserably, Jose is pitching on fumes, they need to either bring some new guys up of make some moves. They will not go anywhere with the guys they have now.

verbum

The Cubs starting pitching was outstanding the past 3 days.
"The Cubs starters allowed only two earned runs in 21 innings: a 0.86 ERA".

The Brewers better watch out this weekend.

Prade

Because most teams go around .500 in close games, good or bad. In baseball and basketball, at least. The good teams actually differentiate themselves in blowouts. Remember, a close win is a bloop hit away from a close loss. The Nats got off to a huge lead in 2005 largely on the strength of their record in close games with a negative run differential, but by the end of the year reality took over.

This Met team is not a dominate team, but last I checked winning a game 3-1 as opposed to 10-1 counts all the same in the standings. And with the pitching in this division, I would think winning the close ones and never lying down for people is going to be a real testament for the teams success. Not saying they're going to win a ton of games, just don't book them for 90 losses just yet.

The thing is, even though people like to complain about how long a 162 game season is, the Pythag stuff does not always normalize over the course of one season. I think it was the D-backs a few years back that won the division with a negative run differential. Granted, I doubt the Mests can pull that off over 162 in a competitive division but it's very possible they outperform their Pythag. Scioscia's Angels tend to consistently do better than their run differential suggests. So there could be a "skill" component in outperforming one's Pythag.

squall211

They are still allowing more runs than they are scoring, which has to be at least a bit troubling. It's nice to see them bounce back though after the sweep by Houston. I still just don't think they have the pitching to get it done.

The only reason for the run differential is because 4 of their 13 losses were laughers. They lost 14-6 to Atlanta, 18-9 to Colorado, and got blown out in a doubleheader by San Francisco.

turnbuckle

Ok, this season has been disappointing thus far but at least Drew Smyly has been a nice surprise. 6 earned runs through 6 starts, and that includes games against Texas, Tampa, and New York. Small sample sizes and all, but I'll cling to whatever positive I can goddammit

jman2050

The only reason for the run differential is because 4 of their 13 losses were laughers. They lost 14-6 to Atlanta, 18-9 to Colorado, and got blown out in a doubleheader by San Francisco.

The entire point is that good teams don't get blown out more than they blow out others.

That's not to say the Mets are a bad team (run differential has its own problems as an analytical tool and it's still only May) but pointing out that a team has several blowout losses skewing their run differential is not a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom