• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prade

Something interesting to point out is.... Of the 148 Runs given up by the Mets, 130 of them were earned.... So it's more the defense being shitty so far.

verbum

I'm going to drop this in here to put the jinx on:

"OMG, the Miracle Mets are back!"

I hated to do it since you all handled the Phillies so nicely, but...

I'm going to drop this in here to put the jinx on:

"OMG, the Miracle Mets are back!"

I hated to do it since you all handled the Phillies so nicely, but...
phyuck%20yiu.bmp

Opiate

After more poor play from Pujols and more great play from Beltran/Furcal, the Cardinals trade off now looks like this:

Beltran: 1.8 WAR
Furcal: 2.0 WAR
Combined: 3.8 WAR

Pujols: -.8 WAR

Differential: +4.6 WAR for the Cardinals

I will again state that I hardly expect this gap to grow as fast or as consistently as it has, but I also now feel reasonably confident that 1) The Cardinals will get more WAR out of Beltran/Furcal this year than the Angels will get out of Pujols, and 2) The Cardinals only have these two players for two years anyway, while the Angels are stuck with Pujols for 10. This was supposed to be his highest value "bargain" year for the Angels, as compared to the deadweight years he'd be liable for in the last few years of his contract.

Sanjuro

After more poor play from Pujols and more great play from Beltran/Furcal, the Cardinals trade off now looks like this:

Beltran: 1.8 WAR
Furcal: 2.0 WAR
Combined: 3.8 WAR

Pujols: -.8 WAR

Differential: +4.6 WAR for the Cardinals

I will again state that I hardly expect this gap to grow as fast or as consistently as it has, but I also now feel reasonably confident that 1) The Cardinals will get more WAR out of Beltran/Furcal this year than the Angels will get out of Pujols, and 2) The Cardinals only have these two players for two years anyway, while the Angels are stuck with Pujols for 10. This was supposed to be his highest value "bargain" year for the Angels, as compared to the deadweight years he'd be liable for in the last few years of his contract.

Opiate
Depressingly Pujols
(Today, 02:47 PM)

verbum

but how much does being in a new league hinder Pujols? and the ballparks as well.

Does it seem moving to a new team/home stadium hinders some of these established heavy hitters more than the purchasing team and the player realize?

Dunn
Uggla-average under .200 the first half of the season last year.
Pujols

But then Fielder is doing well in Detroit.

I don't know.

Opiate

Pujols will be fine, just an early season slump. By the end of the year he is going to have very good numbers.

I agree, as stated. I think he may realistically garner 4-5 WAR over the remainder of the season, which is obviously a very large amount of WAR for a player to gather in only 5/6 of a season: it would mean 4.5-6 WAR if you projected him out over a whole year (the problem being that a significant portion of that year is already gone).

But that would put Pujols at +3.2-4.2 WAR net, for the year. And that is:

1) The worst year he's ever had, and also another year in a consistent series of declines in performance for the last 5 years in a row
2) Almost certainly below the Beltran/Furcal duo the Cardinals could afford when Pujols walked away. They are already at a combined 3.8 WAR, so even if they play at replacement level for the rest of the year (which is actually possible, as both are injury prone), Pujols may not match their output. He's already dug himself such a hole that even if Furcal/Beltran regress to the mean and Pujols plays like he did last year or even the year before that, he won't be able to catch up.

tc farks

Pujols will be fine, just an early season slump. By the end of the year he is going to have very good numbers.

What's your definition of very good? For fun...

Updated ZIPS projection for Pujols:

.267 .342 .469 .343 wOBA

That's more good than very good.

Also, Bryan Lahair:

.296 .369 .550 .390 wOBA

That's pure sex.

Prade

MLB Poised to Pick Off 1st And 3rd Trick Move

"I think they should get rid of it," Yankees reliever Boone Logan said. "Us lefties can't do that. If we do, they call a balk."

"Besides, how often does it work? Maybe once in never," he said.

Last August, with Los Angeles leading 6-4 at Yankee Stadium, New York put men at the corners with two outs in the ninth inning. Rookie Jordan Walden bluffed toward third a couple of times, then did it again and trapped Curtis Granderson off first for the final out.

This year, the Angels struck again in the Bronx when starter Ervin Santana faked to third and nailed Brett Gardner at first.

I thought lefties already had a trick up their sleeves. It's called being a lefty.

Sanjuro

MLB should just enforce a rule where you can't make any other player look or feel like an fool.

Second. Both teams get Pizza Hut after the game and the Mets get a trophy every season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That is so ridiculous.

If they get rid of that "trick" move they should enforce the Andy Pettitte move as a balk. Because it is totally a balk.

That pick move has been tarnishing the legacy of people that play the game the right way for years. Andy Pettite will get shelled this Sunday and go back to filming soap commercials with Brain McNamee and Joe Torre.

Sanjuro

Tom Brunansky night, will never forget how awesome that catch was. Still amazing watching the highlights and seeing all the fans just run on the field celebrating.

Pittsburgh - Bottom of 2nd
Stephen Strasburg pitching for Washington
P Alvarez struck out swinging.
N Walker struck out swinging.
G Jones struck out swinging.

Well then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom