• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Mets%20Marlins%20Baseball%20.JPEG-00935.jpg

clemenx

Banned
I thought so too, but now maybe I'm not so sure he won't just have a terrible season. I guess since he has an unprecedentedly good and consistent first 10 years, he has an unprecedented fall off a cliff.

If he really is falling of the cliff I don't think it's unprecedented at his age (even if we're talking about the listed age, lol). Plenty of stars have gone to nothing in their 30's. Those who age well are really minority.

This start is obviously something extreme but I won't be surprised if he never sniffs +1.000 OPS again.

Man you forgot about Vernon Wells...Oh crap same team. Mo Vaughn? Soriano? Just adding some
Well yea but Pujpls contract is bigger. Ppl said he needed to be MVP like first few yrs with championships won to get sum value out of contract. Instead, he's struggling from the start, making contract look even worse.

bjork

I don't watch too regularly, but whenever I catch highlights I always wonder this, apologies if it's been asked already: when did it become a thing for teams to all run out and jump up and down in a group as though they just clinched a playoff berth or something? A team can be way below .500 and still celebrate like that random meaningless win is some big thing. Is it some new rule they put into effect after a certain season or something? Back when I did watch a lot, you almost never saw such pointless joy.

Also, go Tribe.

bjork

Because walk off wins are exciting?

Fair enough, but it used to be that a guy could win a game with a hit or whatever, and it's casual handshakes and high fives. Just wondering if it was a natural shift or mandated to try and make it seem more compelling to the audience.

Fenix

I was away this weekend for a wedding, so I missed a couple of the turds the Jays laid against the Twins, but at least something notable happened: Jose Bautista passed Shawn Green on the Blue Jays all-time home run list to take sole possession of the 10th spot with 121 HRs. He's definitely got a shot at moving all the way up to the 6th this year and overtaking Lloyd Moseby.

Code:
Player               Games        HR
Carlos Delgado       1423         336
Vernon Wells         1393         223
Joe Carter           1039         203
George Bell          1181         202
Jesse Barfield       1032         179
Lloyd Moseby         1392         149
Ernie Whitt          1218         131
Fred McGriff          578         125
Jose Cruz Jr.         698         122
Jose Bautista         479         121

How do you feel about that Jose?

Bautista-Lawire-dance.gif

ToxicAdam

Fair enough, but it used to be that a guy could win a game with a hit or whatever, and it's casual handshakes and high fives. Just wondering if it was a natural shift or mandated to try and make it seem more compelling to the audience.

I recall the exuberance happening for walk-off homers (back in the 80's), but not for walk-off base hits. It was always a custom for the winning team to take the field and congratulate each other.

Maybe it wasn't so ecstatic back then, because people were in fear of taking one between the numbers the following game if they celebrated too much. Or maybe it's just because not every baseball game was televised and entire hour-long daily shows dedicated to highlights didn't exist.

sangreal

lmao, MLB just fired Shyam Das, the arbitrator who overturned Braun's suspension and now the Rockies catcher's suspension.

That will definitely lead to a future of unbiased decisions. I mean, Braun and the catcher were probably guilty but its on MLB and their labs to get their shit together. I don't think anyone has disputed that the arbiter's findings were wrong (in fact, they are trying to fix the problems with the drug agreement they keep violating)

The sides will now try to select a successor. If they cannot agree, baseball's collective bargaining agreement calls for them to ask the American Arbitration Association for a list of "prominent, professional arbitrators." The sides would then alternate striking names from the list until one remains.

This sounds like a board game

Sanjuro

I recall the exuberance happening for walk-off homers (back in the 80's), but not for walk-off base hits. It was always a custom for the winning team to take the field and congratulate each other.

Maybe it wasn't so ecstatic back then, because people were in fear of taking one between the numbers the following game if they celebrated too much. Or maybe it's just because not every baseball game was televised and entire hour-long daily shows dedicated to highlights didn't exist.

Fireworks.
Playoff birth and divisional round champagne.
ESPN.
Hot dogging.
etc. etc.

So I guess the arbitrator getting fired has nothing to do with this guy's suspension getting overturned? Since:

Alfonzo's penalty was dropped without a hearing before an arbitrator, the person said Sunday. The catcher missed the final 15 games of last season and Colorado has already played 33 games this year.

Sanjuro

McNamee said he didn't feel good about the moment, but he got the sense that Clemens "wasn't good at doing the `booty shot."

"I did it," McNamee said, "because I wanted to help and I wanted to keep my player safe. ... I wasn't under the assumption that was the first time he did that."

verbum

Maybe I missed it prior, kind of a nice story. The Red Sox gave Derek Lowe a replacement World Series ring. This is after Tampa Bay/Miami fans robbed his home back in April.

http://www.nesn.com/2012/05/derek-l...eplace-pitchers-stolen-world-series-ring.html

That was nice. Good on the Red Sox for doing that.

Just saw the preview for the Reds-Braves games. Johnny Cueto (2nd game) is doing good work for the Reds, 1.12 ERA and 0.97 WHIP. I sure hope we don't see Chapman too much.

verbum

Reds lineup: Cozart 6, Stubbs 8, Votto 3, Phillips 4, Bruce 9, Heisey 7, Frazier 5, Mesoraco 2, Bailey RHP

Braves lineup: Bourn CF Prado LF Freeman 1B Uggla 2B McCann C Chipper 3B Heyward RF Pastornicky SS Delgado P

Should be a great game tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom