• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilhawk

So Josh Hamilton flung two more bats into seats in the game against the Royals. I don't care how good of a player you are, hold on to the damn bat. He should honestly be suspended or fined the next time he does it.

So Josh Hamilton flung two more bats into seats in the game against the Royals. I don't care how good of a player you are, hold on to the damn bat. He should honestly be suspended or fined the next time he does it.

Someone should introduce him to pine tar. On the other hand, nevermind. He might try to snort it.

cdyhybrid

Was in a suite for the M's win over the Twins last Sunday, and gonna be in a (bigger) suite for the game vs. Texas on Tuesday next week. At least I'm getting something out of this shitty job.

verbum

lol

Nice to see MLB fired Shyam Das. I'm sure the next arbitrator will have an impartiality that the MLB will find employable.

Would the Players Union be able to block such a move if they wanted? If they had an agreement in place, it seems to me that MLB has broken such an agreement.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why do all Giants relievers look the same?

romo1.gif

romo-strikeout2.gif

romo3.gif

zCDcM.png

Someone has to take over for the Beard.

tc farks

Would the Players Union be able to block such a move if they wanted? If they had an agreement in place, it seems to me that MLB has broken such an agreement.

No. The arbitrators are agreed upon by both sides, but can be fired by either one at any time.

This is what happens when you set such a dumb precedent. You lose your job.

verbum

No. The arbitrators are agreed upon by both sides, but can be fired by either one at any time.

This is what happens when you set such a dumb precedent. You lose your job.

By "dumb precedent", are you referring to the fact the arbitrator overturned the suspensions? If due process is not followed, I can't blame the player or the arbitrator.
A similar thing happens when a state suspends a professional license for use of illegal substances. Unless a strict procedure is followed how can a suspension be upheld?
I blame the contractor responsible for processing the samples and MLB for allowing the process to be so haphazard. I feel any player is innocent until proven guilty by quality evidence, not evidence left available to tampering or evidence collected by an amateur. All MLB has to do is send the player to a quality certified lab and have the urine or blood processed by professionals. Or have the lab people come to the player.

tc farks

By "dumb precedent", are you referring to the fact the arbitrator overturned the suspensions? If due process is not followed, I can't blame the player or the arbitrator.
A similar thing happens when a state suspends a professional license for use of illegal substances. Unless a strict procedure is followed how can a suspension be upheld?
I blame the contractor responsible for processing the samples and MLB for allowing the process to be so haphazard. I feel any player is innocent until proven guilty by quality evidence, not evidence left available to tampering or evidence collected by an amateur. All MLB has to do is send the player to a quality certified lab and have the urine or blood processed by professionals. Or have the lab people come to the player.

It's a dumb precedent because synthetic testosterone doesn't just appear out of nowhere because it sits in a basement. What was acceptable to one arbitrator wasn't acceptable to another arbitrator and he got off on a technicality. I made MANY posts on this subject when all of this happened and am not going through that again. I expected him to lose his job after what happened and am surprised it took this long.

Parch

There is no precedent set. It's not like every suspension is going to be overturned now. Do the testing procedure correctly and the system works.

tc farks

There is no precedent set. It's not like every suspension is going to be overturned now. Do the testing procedure correctly and the system works.

There was obviously a precedent set in every single sense of the word.

Yes, MLB needs to better enforce their procedure or outright change certain aspects of it.

Sanjuro

"Roger would ask me, `What are you doing? Are you available tonight?' I knew exactly what he was talking about," McNamee said.

"Roger pulled down his pants, exposing his right buttocks cheek to me," McNamee said. A few seconds later, Clemens said he was ready. McNamee said he then "plunged the fluid in, into his buttocks."

"That," McNamee said, "was the first time I injected Roger Clemens."

"Roger would ask me, `What are you doing? Are you available tonight?' I knew exactly what he was talking about," McNamee said.

"Roger pulled down his pants, exposing his right buttocks cheek to me," McNamee said. A few seconds later, Clemens said he was ready. McNamee said he then "plunged the fluid in, into his buttocks."

"That," McNamee said, "was the first time I injected Roger Clemens."
Thank You Congress for wasting taxpayer money on hearing about different ways Roger Clemens took butt shots from his personal trainer!

Tedesco!

Just remember that baseball players always made shit money until the early 90s. A bunch (including Hank Aaron) had offseason jobs.

I know that. I should say that I know Pete. I've worked with professional ball players for years until I moved. It's sad because he needs to work. Pete made his money, he just mismanaged his money and threw it away (aside of gambling)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Twins.

I can't remember a team this bad since those first few Nationals teams.
You know things are going great when they can't generate offense off of Jeanmar Gomez or the corpse of Derek freaking Lowe. The starting rotation is horrible. Matt Capps is human garbage. It's impressive how far & fast they fell. Thank god most of the rotation is gone next year.

PS: Thanks so much, Bill Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom