• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNei1y

I really want to keep up with games.

When do I know games are on? Should I just tune into MLB Network all the time?

Games usually start at ~7:00pm EST, 4:00pm PST. Some teams have day games scheduled if its before a travel day or a weekend.

IE:

If a team has to travel to a nearby city then they would play at 1:00pm EST (10:00am PST) on the last day of their series and then play their first game of the next series at night the next day.

Then again, a lot of teams have random day games. Day games usually occur on the weekends whether its 1pm or 4pm EST but during the week there are some day games on a Thursday or something similar. Also, some TV channels have designated games at night. ESPN has 'Sunday Night Baseball' that occurs around 7-10 at night. There are also games on TBS on Saturdays (usually the Braves) and random "Wed/Thurs night baseball" on MLB Network or ESPN.

G-Fex

Ah so games could pretty much be every day.

I never tried to get into a major sport before (I tried with Hockey, I still might).

Good on Yankees beating Angels btw.

McNei1y

Ah so games could pretty much be every day.

I never tried to get into a major sport before (I tried with Hockey, I still might).

Good on Yankees beating Angels btw.

Yeah games are pretty much everyday. Series are usually 3 games a piece. That means you can count on games on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Mondays and Thursdays are usually the "travel/off" days. But teams can play about 9+ games in a given span. The Nationals had their longest span which ended last week where they played 16 games in a row.

G-Fex

Mobile (Apps, Text Alerts etc...)
Chrome Extension
MLB.com - Media Center - Schedule

etc..etc..etc...there are a shit ton of ways.

Yeah games are pretty much everyday. Series are usually 3 games a piece. That means you can count on games on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Mondays and Thursdays are usually the "travel/off" days. But teams can play about 9+ games in a given span. The Nationals had their longest span which ended last week where they played 16 games in a row.

Very cool thank you guys.

Damn, Nationals have to be exhausted by now.

McNei1y

Very cool thank you guys.

Damn, Nationals have to be exhausted by now.

Yea man no problem. Always happy to help people that are welcoming the MLB. And yeah, 16 games is a lot but at least its out of the way so they won't have it near the end of the season. They managed to go 8-8 during it! The amazing thing is that this team is currently missing 3 of their great hitters (Michael Morse, Jayson Werth (the guy in my avatar), and Wilson Ramos) as well as their stud closer (Drew Storen) yet they are somehow performing the way they are. A big thanks is to their pitching rotation.

Randomly: If anyone in MLB GAF has Diablo III and wants to play sometime, add me...

McNei1y#1400

G-Fex

Yea man no problem. Always happy to help people that are welcoming the MLB. And yeah, 16 games is a lot but at least its out of the way so they won't have it near the end of the season. They managed to go 8-8 during it! The amazing thing is that this team is currently missing 3 of their great hitters (Michael Morse, Jayson Werth (the guy in my avatar), and Wilson Ramos) as well as their stud closer (Drew Storen) yet they are somehow performing the way they are. A big thanks is to their pitching rotation.

Randomly: If anyone in MLB GAF has Diablo III and wants to play sometime, add me...

McNei1y#1400

Sounds like the Nationals got their stuff together. My Diablo III thing is KOG#1906 or something like that.

I didn't think it was possible to get a new poster in the Community graveya- I mean subforum.

Baseball is a great sport, I love it. It captures my interest once i know what's going on, even though it's silly how I fell into it, none the less I love it.

rekameohs

Banned
Baseball is a great sport, I love it. It captures my interest once i know what's going on, even though it's silly how I fell into it, none the less I love it.

Always good to have another in the crew.

Just to get the basics down:

- Every call ever is Year of the Umps
- Ryan Braun is clearly innocent
- Barves
- Post arodfallingthroughfloor.gif a minimum of twenty (20) times when yankees lose
- Any one of us could probably pitch in the Red Sox bullpen and be just as effective
- Ryan Braun is clearly guilty
- The Marlins home run feature is the greatest thing to happen to the sport of baseball

I think that's about it

G-Fex

Always good to have another in the crew.

Just to get the basics down:

- Every call ever is Year of the Umps
- Ryan Braun is clearly innocent
- Barves
- Post arodfallingthroughfloor.gif a minimum of twenty (20) times when yankees lose
- Any one of us could probably pitch in the Red Sox bullpen and be just as effective
- Ryan Braun is clearly guilty
- The Marlins home run feature is the greatest thing to happen to the sport of baseball

I think that's about it

Sounds good, always good to learn a extra few things.

Ahh yes, the arodfallingthroughthefloor.gif.

Probably another reason for me to stick with my 8-bit baseball games. Unless Genesis has some good ones.

so my Mets blew another lead last night?

can we just please dump this current team and bring up all our prospects?

Please trade for Boobby V and bring back Ollie. This team needs a spark.

Russell Martin denied "privilege" of throwing new balls back to pitcher after arguing balls and strikes with ump

Martin said the ball ban was put into effect after he and Diaz exchanged some words over strike calls early in the game.

"He said that it was a privilege that I had to earn, for me to throw the ball back,'' said the catcher, a seven-year veteran and three-time All Star. "That's never happened to me before. I even told him, because there's guys on base, I like to keep my arm loose. Nope. 'I'm not letting you throw the ball back.' That's pretty strange, to me. That's a good story, huh?''

Year of the petty assholes

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
SI cover curse strikes again.
ppZmT.jpg

So how long till Kemp has the sex change?

Hey KOG, two more things that really keep me up to speed on teams other than my home team:

1. The ESPN Baseball Today podcast. It's half an hour daily, and they're pretty charismatic and cover a pretty wide variety: the big stories of the day, but then talk about amusing or obscure stuff later in the show.

2. MLB AtBat for iOs or Android. It's SO good and worth the $15. And there's a daily digest that's two minutes long or so and just knocks out all the previous day's results, rapid fire. OR you can read every single beat writer article from each team's home paper (it's always interesting to read both stories for the same game). And you can listen to the radio broadcast of every game, and choose which team's broadcast crew you want to hear. And see every game summarized in a handful of ways. And a bunch of other features.

Oh and in my totally biased opinion, you should be a fan of the Royals! They've sucked for thirty years, but are just on the cusp of getting good again within the next season or two!

2. MLB AtBat for iOs or Android. It's SO good and worth the $15. And there's a daily digest that's two minutes long or so and just knocks out all the previous day's results, rapid fire.

Where is this digest feature on the app? That would be really handy but I've never noticed it.

And KOG, while you might want to favor picking a West Coast team so that you're not watching games at weird times, you should probably just follow the season neutrally for a while until a team naturally appeals to you.

Or just pick the Mets.

According to SNY, Elvin Ramirez and Josh Thole will join the Mets tomorrow.

Ramirez has gone a combined 3-1 with a 0.65 ERA between Double-A Binghamton and Triple-A Buffalo this season. He is unscored upon in 14 2/3 innings for Buffalo, having allowed just one walk and five hits while striking out 19 in 11 games.

The Mets have not announced any corresponding roster moves at this time.

In addition, Manny Acosta has been outrighted to Triple-A Buffalo.
Elvin Ramirez is a surprise, but he's been lights-out this year.
Or just pick the Mets.
If he wants to be a bigger joke character than trollisaynon for picking a team not in his living area/market, sure.

have you figured out why other MLB-GAFfers want you to be a Mets fan, korg?

They don't want you to pick the team they root for.

Shame on you, MLB-GAF.

So petty.

So insular.

Where is this digest feature on the app? That would be really handy but I've never noticed it.

It's in the video highlights, and it's called MLB FastCast. Right now it's sponsored by ACE so that's in the title, too. It goes up mid morning, usually. If it's buried in the videos (you can only see the top 10 or something), you can always just search for FastCast. I think it's viewable on mlb.com, too, but hey screw that when you can watch it on the crapper instead.

Another reason I like said video is that the guy narrating it talks like some old-school sportscaster from the 40's.

turnbuckle

Hey KOG, two more things that really keep me up to speed on teams other than my home team:

1. The ESPN Baseball Today podcast. It's half an hour daily, and they're pretty charismatic and cover a pretty wide variety: the big stories of the day, but then talk about amusing or obscure stuff later in the show.

2. MLB AtBat for iOs or Android. It's SO good and worth the $15. And there's a daily digest that's two minutes long or so and just knocks out all the previous day's results, rapid fire. OR you can read every single beat writer article from each team's home paper (it's always interesting to read both stories for the same game). And you can listen to the radio broadcast of every game, and choose which team's broadcast crew you want to hear. And see every game summarized in a handful of ways. And a bunch of other features.

Oh and in my totally biased opinion, you should be a fan of the Royals! They've sucked for thirty years, but are just on the cusp of getting good again within the next season or two!

I don't think their other stuff is available on iTunes, but MLB Network's Intentional Talk is a pretty amusing video podcast that's pretty accessible to newer fans. Might not be serious enough for some folks, but it helps brighten up about 45 minutes of my work days.

If you ever want to hear a podcast that puts more focus on each team's prospects, Baseball Prospectus's Up and In podcast is great. Heck, even if you don't like baseball it's fun listening to those guys shoot the shit.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If you ever want to hear a podcast that puts more focus on each team's prospects, Baseball Prospectus's Up and In podcast is great. Heck, even if you don't like baseball it's fun listening to those guys shoot the shit.

Only baseball podcast worth listening to.

Worst parts of the show are when they talk about baseball.

Jangocube

Banned
Nick Markakis broke the hamate bone in his right hand and will undergo surgery Friday morning.
Markakis originally suffered the injury on a slide into second base 7-10 days ago, but the complete break occurred when he was swinging the bat Tuesday night. He'll be sidelined for around three to four weeks, which likely rules him out for most of June. Xavier Avery is a potential replacement in right field, but Lew Ford, Jai Miller and Jamie Hoffman will also likely be considered.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck..............................

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
there is a new sports application from Microsoft in the Windows 8 Release Preview. Here are a few images. (ignore my second monitor..i'm lazy). Its pretty good for a stock app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom