• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

Hey KOG, two more things that really keep me up to speed on teams other than my home team:

1. The ESPN Baseball Today podcast. It's half an hour daily, and they're pretty charismatic and cover a pretty wide variety: the big stories of the day, but then talk about amusing or obscure stuff later in the show.

2. MLB AtBat for iOs or Android. It's SO good and worth the $15. And there's a daily digest that's two minutes long or so and just knocks out all the previous day's results, rapid fire. OR you can read every single beat writer article from each team's home paper (it's always interesting to read both stories for the same game). And you can listen to the radio broadcast of every game, and choose which team's broadcast crew you want to hear. And see every game summarized in a handful of ways. And a bunch of other features.

Oh and in my totally biased opinion, you should be a fan of the Royals! They've sucked for thirty years, but are just on the cusp of getting good again within the next season or two!

Cool thanks man, I have At bat lite but if its worth the 15 ill get the premium.

Awesome, I always wanted to listen to another podcast after I stopped listening to video game podcasts ( I don't care about new vidya games just old ones). Sounds like something awesome to listen to everyday. Is it on Itunes? Or ESPN's site?

Where is this digest feature on the app? That would be really handy but I've never noticed it.

And KOG, while you might want to favor picking a West Coast team so that you're not watching games at weird times, you should probably just follow the season neutrally for a while until a team naturally appeals to you.

Or just pick the Mets.
I think it'll be a while before I pick a favorite, but for sure I really don't want my favs to be the dodgers or Angels.

You know Detroit is pretty impressive, their scores always seem to be pretty damn high. Poor Sox

G-Fex

KOG, welcome to the greatest sport known to man. The link below will allow you to enjoy 5 free days of MLB.TV premium. This allows you to watch every game except local market games. Anyone else can use it too! Dunkin Donuts promotion.https://www.facebook.com/DunkinDonuts/app_193638444073459

Ahh hey that's so cool thanks man. Yeah Baseball's the best man, I love it. Having a lot of fun watching this Rockies/Astros game.

Hey what happened yesterday with that White Sox game? I saw some guy got thrown out for nearly beaning the batter?

gosox333

Ahh hey that's so cool thanks man. Yeah Baseball's the best man, I love it. Having a lot of fun watching this Rockies/Astros game.

Hey what happened yesterday with that White Sox game? I saw some guy got thrown out for nearly beaning the batter?

The Rays hit a couple of Sox batters. The first one was definitely an accident, but the second one hit Pierzyinski. Everybody hates Pierzyniski, so I'm sure they were thinking it was on purpose. Next inning or so the Quintana (Sox pitcher) threw a ball behind the back of one of the Rays' guys. Ump threw Quintana out on the spot, no warning, and then he threw Ventura out for arguing.

I'm biased, but they should've warned both teams before throwing anybody out. Good time for Ventura's first ejection as a manager, I guess.

G-Fex

The Rays hit a couple of Sox batters. The first one was definitely an accident, but the second one hit Pierzyinski. Everybody hates Pierzyniski, so I'm sure they were thinking it was on purpose. Next inning or so the Quintana (Sox pitcher) threw a ball behind the back of one of the Rays' guys. Ump threw Quintana out on the spot, no warning, and then he threw Ventura out for arguing.

I'm biased, but they should've warned both teams before throwing anybody out. Good time for Ventura's first ejection as a manager, I guess.

Yup that was something when I caught that on their highlights. I've never seen a ump so pissed off . Guess it's my first time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
remember, umps are the enemy.

QioPV.jpg

eznark

Banned
Brewers are now 6-1 against the Dodgers.

Get fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked, LA!!!

Four game road sweep?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GreinkeDugout.gif.opt.gif

The Yankees at Mets game I'm going to at the end of the month was just moved to 8 PM and is going to be ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball game. Can't wait!

Giants and Cubs to wear 1912 throwbacks on Sunday:

zDpGR.jpg

Need to get the Nats to wear a Montreal jersey one of these days.

The Yankees at Mets game I'm going to at the end of the month was just moved to 8 PM and is going to be ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball game. Can't wait!
Enjoy man! Ill be trying to score tickets to any of the three games.

And Mets fans, cheer Carlos Beltran tonight. IF only because of this: Zach Wheeler.

Code:
W   L  ERA G   IP  H ER HR BB SO  WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
5   2 1.88 9 52.2 30 11  1 21 60 0.968 5.1  0.2  3.6 10.3  2.86

RBH

Red Sox are telling teams they definitely intend to trade Youkilis.
https://twitter.com/DKnobler/status/208575568931864577

Youkilis has a .250/.318/.406 batting line with four home runs in 107 plate appearances this year. The 33-year-old spent three weeks on the disabled list with lower back soreness before returning to action late last month. Youkilis, a three-time All-Star, can play first or third base. He earns $12MM this year and his contract includes a $13MM club option for 2013 ($1MM buyout).
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/red-sox-intend-to-trade-kevin-youkilis.html

RBH

For a week and a half, Bobby Valentine has made the new Red Sox lineup rotation work, with Adrian Gonzalez spending some time in right field and Kevin Youkilis and Will Middlebrooks both spending some time on the bench.

But the rotation system can only be a temporary fix, and the Red Sox realize that.

Eventually, the Red Sox need to trade Youkilis. And Red Sox officials have told officials of other teams that's exactly what they intend to do.

Youkilis is 33 (an old 33, it appears), and he has a big contract (he makes $12 million this year, with a $13 million option or $1 million buyout for 2013). But he has hit .313 with a .903 OPS in nine games since returning from the disabled list, and with very few good bats expected to be available in trade this summer, the Sox should have no problem finding a partner.

The Dodgers and White Sox are two teams that have already seen Youkilis play, and colleague Jon Heyman reports that the Dodgers are stepping up their scouting of him. He would also seem to be a fit for the Phillies, Reds, Diamondbacks and possibly the Giants. Even the Rangers have checked on him, according to sources.

The Red Sox could look to unload most of Youkilis' money (in that case, the Dodgers may make the most sense), or they could offer to pay much of the salary and get a better return.

Trading Youkilis has become a more viable option because of Middlebrooks' strong showing in his first month in the big leagues. In 24 games, the 23-year-old third baseman has hit .316 with six home runs, 21 RBI and a .922 OPS.

One scout who watched the Red Sox recently compared Middlebrooks' power potential to that of Angels slugger Mark Trumbo.

"He's the real deal," another scout said. "A real exciting player."

The emergence of Middlebrooks has helped revive the Red Sox, even with Jacoby Ellsbury still on the disabled list and Dustin Pedroia currently out with a thumb injury.

Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia has also improved greatly, both offensively and defensively, and Valentine has overcome a shaky start and gained more support in the clubhouse.

"It's like he and Gonzalez are joined at the hip now," said one scout who watched the Red Sox. "It's obvious that (David Ortiz) is on (Valentine's) side now, too."

The Red Sox have also told teams that they would like to trade for a pitcher, with some speculating that Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington will attempt to deal with his former boss, Theo Epstein. Epstein's Cubs will likely trade Matt Garza and/or Ryan Dempster this summer.

The Red Sox have been in last place or tied for last every day of the season so far, but they ended May just three games out in the American League East.

"If they get their guys healthy, I'd pick them to win that division," one of the scouts said.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny-knobler/19226561/red-sox-intend-to-trade-youkilis

tc farks

Epstein will trade anybody. But I doubt the offer will be good enough and they likely sign Garza to an extension. Dempster is a great trade candidate at 1st glance, but he has 10-5 rights and loves Chicago. Also, his value is diminished with the new CBA. If the team that trades for him doesn't resign him, they get no draft compensation. If that team does sign him, they forfeit their 1st round pick.

Open to trading is a non-answer, they probably both receive extensions from the Cubs.

RBH

The Cubs are letting teams know that nearly everyone but starter Jeff Samardzija is available, two high-ranking team officials told USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because of competitive reasons.

Matt Garza and Ryan Dempster are veterans starters who can fill out the top of a rotation for a contender. Shortstop Starlin Castro already is a star at 22 but can be obtained for two impact prospects. First baseman Bryan LaHair, a surprise bright spot with 10 home runs, can be cleared to make room for top prospect Anthony Rizzo.

And the Cubs gladly will chip in cash for a team to take left fielder Alfonso Soriano and the more than $45 million left on his contract.

The White Sox originally had visions of unloading veterans at the deadline but now plan to add players, according to a high-ranking team official who requested anonymity from USA TODAY Sports because of competitive reasons. They would have given away starter Jake Peavy and his $17 million salary a few months ago. Now he's untouchable, with the White Sox envisioning him as their workhorse for the pennant stretch.

"We're starting to get some early calls now," Epstein says. "There might be fewer sellers than usual and a lot more buyers. This has a chance to help us. We need core players."

The Cubs say their renovation begins in earnest next week when the amateur draft is held. They have four of the first 67 picks and hope to develop a nucleus that will be ready to contend by 2015.

"The draft is the most important day of the year," Epstein says. "You're trying to build up talent, and this is the best way to do it. You get total freedom to who you bring into your organization.

"We have a lot of work to do."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/base...cubs-white-sox-opposite-directions/55293118/1

eznark

Banned
Trading Castro right now seems insane. Epstein must think the Cubs are half a decade from contending if he is willing to entertain that.

RBH

CHICAGO -- Despite a published report Thursday that might have suggested otherwise, Chicago Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said star shortstop Starlin Castro isn't expected to be going anywhere in the near future.

A USA Today report sourced two unnamed high-ranking Cubs officials with the idea that "everyone but Jeff Samardzija" can be acquired via trade. The trade deadline is July 31.

Better add Castro to the list of players the Cubs won't be shopping on the open market.

"Starlin Castro is the type of player we're looking to build around," Epstein said Thursday. "There has been no trade consideration with him, whatsoever."

Despite a low walk total, Castro has been a force on offense for the Cubs and has shown improvement defensively. He is batting .317 and has 32 RBIs, tied for the lead among shortstops in all of baseball with the Red Sox's Mike Aviles.

Does it mean Castro won't be traded? Not exactly. Technically, even Samardzija can be had.

Epstein already said this week that anybody can be acquired if a team wants to approach the Cubs and offer a mind-boggling return package.

"I never understood why there would ever be an untouchable," Epstein said Monday. "All you're doing is limiting your opportunity. That said, there are core pieces that it's almost impossible to foresee moving. You would have to be completely blown away to even contemplate it.

"I think everybody knows what we're trying to do. We're trying to build a nucleus of talented young players who can form a core of being an annual contender. If you have a piece like that, the only way you contemplate ever moving him would be to get multiple back of that same caliber and those deals are hard to make. I think we're looking to identify the core, continue to add to it and build around it."

At the very least, Castro appears to be a part of that core.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/stor...o-cubs-not-considering-trading-starlin-castro

tc farks

Espstein has already came out and debunked that report. http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7994641/theo-epstein-chicago-cubs-not-considering-trading-starlin-castro

Saying why would he make Shark untouchable when he doesn't believe anyone is untouchable for the right deal. Which of course is true in theory. Who's gonna pay the price it would take for Castro though? Shark and Starlin aren't going anywhere.

It should be noted that the new front office hasn't shown any leaks yet. Anything that comes out concerning their plans should be taken with a heap of salt.

tc farks

Trading Castro right now seems insane. Epstein must think the Cubs are half a decade from contending if he is willing to entertain that.

Because it basically is insane. What he's doing at 22 puts him among a list of Hall of Famers. If he keeps up his current pace he's a 7 WAR player this year (probably ends up around ~5).

eznark

Banned
Because it basically is insane. What he's doing at 22 puts him among a list of Hall of Famers. If he keeps up his current pace he's a 7 WAR player this year (probably ends up around ~5).

How has LaHair's Hall of Fame pace kept up?

Because neither one of them make sense.

A contract year pitcher who is at the top of his game and a Super 2 looking at 8 figures? That makes perfect sense if you can get value.

TC is right about the compensation picks though. This might be kind of a dead trading cycle.

RBH

The Brewers were more than willing to trade two top prospects for left-hander CC Sabathia in July 2008, and not simply because they were getting one of the best pitchers in the game.

No, the Brewers also knew that they could possibly replace the youngsters — first baseman Matt LaPorta and outfielder Michael Brantley — with the two high draft picks they would collect if Sabathia left as a free agent.

That strategy is now kaput.

The Brewers could be in the opposite position this summer, willing to move their own ace, right-hander Zack Greinke. But the rules of engagement are different under the new labor agreement, altering the dynamics of the trade market.

The overall effect?

Several general managers predict diminished trade activity.

I’m not convinced.

For now, just know this: The Brewers and Diamondbacks — two teams that might have considered themselves likely “sellers” in previous years — are not yet willing to concede, and may not concede at all.

The Diamondbacks, who visit the Padres this weekend (Saturday, MLB on Fox, 7 p.m. ET), are beginning a stretch of 10 games against three of the worst clubs in the majors — San Diego, Colorado and Oakland. They also are chasing a Dodgers club that just lost center fielder Matt Kemp for at least four weeks with an additional injury to his left hamstring.

The Brewers, coming off a four-game sweep of the Dodgers in Los Angeles, also appear to be in an advantageous position. They begin a nine-game homestand Friday night, and their next five series are against teams at .500 or below - Pittsburgh, the Chicago Cubs, San Diego, Kansas City and Minnesota.

The addition of a second wild card is making aspiring contenders more reluctant to give up on the season; five postseason berths now are available in each league, as opposed to four.

What’s more, a potential free-agent ace such as Greinke might not command as strong a package as Sabathia did in ’08. Only players who have been with their team an entire season are eligible for draft-pick compensation; a team that trades for a potential free agent and loses him will not get a return on the back end.

The new CBA also contains another twist — a club that keeps a potential free agent only can receive compensation by making him a qualifying one-year offer within five days after the end of the World Series. The size of that offer, determined by averaging the top 125 salaries from the previous year, is expected to be between $12 million and $13 million.

How many potential free agents would be certain to receive such an offer from their respective clubs? One general manager lists only three — Greinke, Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton and Phillies lefty Cole Hamels.

A few others — I’m thinking Braves center fielder Michael Bourn, Marlins right-hander Anibal Sanchez and Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera, for starters — also might get offers. But the vast majority would not, bringing their teams zero return.

Thus, the incentive for trading such players – and in particular, relievers worth far less than $12 million – never has been higher. Several GMs, though, believe that the allure of a postseason berth will lead to fewer deals than in years past.

Wild cards, though, actually are devalued under the new system. The two “winners” in each league will meet in a one-game elimination, with the winner advancing to the best-of-five Division Series. The previous reward — a guaranteed spot in the DS — was far more enticing.

Some teams will be disinclined to mortgage the future for the chance to play in only one playoff game. Many, though, will still be in contention for a division title at the July 31 non-waiver deadline, with two months left in the season.

On one hand, teams will be hesitant to sell if they stand a chance of getting hot and stealing a wild-card berth — or better, a division title. On the other hand, teams within reach of the division lead will be more fervent buyers as they try to avoid the wild-card round.

With so many different forces at work, no one can predict how it will all play out. Only six of the 30 clubs appear out of contention — Minnesota, Oakland, Seattle, the Chicago Cubs, San Diego and Colorado. Several other teams — most notably, Houston — also could end up as sellers. But the current thought processes of the Brewers and Diamondbacks are revealing.

The Brewers, while only 5 1/2 games out in the NL Central, have every reason to say, “This isn’t our year.” First baseman Mat Gamel, shortstop Alex Gonzalez and left-handed starter Chris Narveson are out for the season. Catcher Jonathan Lucroy just went down for four to six weeks. And a number of the team’s healthy players — second baseman Rickie Weeks, center fielder Nyjer Morgan, left-handed starter Randy Wolf — are under-performing.

Still, owner Mark Attanasio told MLB.com on Wednesday, “We always have a buyer’s mindset.” And GM Doug Melvin, in a phone interview earlier in the day, spoke of getting back into the race, citing the quality of the Brewers’ pitching, the favorable upcoming schedule and the team’s 25-5 run in the second half of last season, which occurred mostly when Weeks was injured.

Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers sounded no less optimistic over the phone, even though his team is nine games out in the NL West. Some D-Backs players are wondering when they will be the subject of trade rumors, but the team is getting healthier, and like the Brewers, can’t play much worse.

Plus, Towers said, the NL lacks a clear powerhouse.

“I see a lot of clubs, especially in the NL, waiting to the very end,” Towers said, referring to the decision on whether to buy or sell. “I just don’t think there are two or three clear-cut favorites that are going to run away with it.”

The Rangers appear to be such a team in the AL, but maybe not — their lead over the Angels is down to 5 1/2 games. The AL, overall, is not quite as balanced as the NL — the Orioles and Indians, two early-season darlings, are struggling with injuries and starting to fade. Still, it’s possible that each AL division will remain competitive to the end.

Every year, GMs predict a quiet trade deadline. Most every year they’re wrong, and it will be an upset if this year is any different, new rules and all.

The stakes are high. The margin between winning and losing is small. And the GMs, bless their conniving hearts, just can’t sit still.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...could-alter-dynamics-of-trade-deadline-053112

tc farks

LaHair still has value. His regression came and his numbers are still very good. .308/.396/.582

And he showed some life the other day. Still worth following.

eznark

Banned
Dempster is one of the best pitchers in baseball right now. How do you figure he wouldn't make an impact? That's asinine.

LaHair still has value. His regression came and his numbers are still very good. .308/.396/.582

And he showed some life the other day. Still worth following.

Speaking of current paces, LaHair is on pace to have an OPS of .333 in June. He'll manage a -0.126 in July!

Selig is a fucking asshole, this is some Stern level shit. I hate the White Sox announcers as much as anybody but I hope when the Expos return we have an announcer like that. None of this by the book boring as shit Joe Buck McCarver Peter Gammons. I want Larry Bowa and Mitch Williams talking sabremetrics.

Talon

Selig is a fucking asshole, this is some Stern level shit. I hate the White Sox announcers as much as anybody but I hope when the Expos return we have an announcer like that. None of this by the book boring as shit Joe Buck McCarver Peter Gammons. I want Larry Bowa and Mitch Williams talking sabremetrics.
Fuck the Hawk. He's a self-aggrandizing moron.

eznark

Banned

brah what are you talking about brah, brah?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom