• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

Woot, Jays-Tribe only a few hours away
3AQmK.gif

I need to figure out a way to get out of work early so I don't miss most of the Jays game. Opening day should be a holiday.

RBH

I'm late, but fuck the Marlins for trotting out Ali like that last night.

That was some of the saddest shit I've seen.

eznark

Banned
I'm late, but fuck the Marlins for trotting out Ali like that last night.

That was some of the saddest shit I've seen.

Uh, you can't really blame anyone but Ali himself. Seems like he never turns down an appearance. I think it's pretty rad. Even when ill, he wants that spotlight. Die like you lived, man.

Sanjuro

I don't see the problem either. I mean, that's all he really does at this point. I'm just surprised people there knew who he was.

RBH

Uh, you can't really blame anyone but Ali himself. Seems like he never turns down an appearance. I think it's pretty rad. Even when ill, he wants that spotlight. Die like you lived, man.

I don't think he's even in a conscious enough state to turn down an appearance at this point. The whole thing was just awkward and depressing to watch and felt like something straight out of Curb.

Sanjuro

I don't think he's even in a conscious enough state to turn down an appearance at this point. The whole thing was just awkward and depressing to watch and felt like something straight out of Curb.

I can only imagine a modern day Ali knocking out Larry.

FKi27.gif

eznark

Banned
Miami gets a legitimate park and sports world doesn't know how to react. I feel like I predicted this one drunk night.

Yeah, that well known passionate dislike for the Miami sports scene among sports fans. Lol, no one gives a fuck about Miami sports, least of all Miami citizens.

Sanjuro

Yeah, that well known passionate dislike for the Miami sports scene among sports fans. Lol, no one gives a fuck about Miami sports, least of all Miami citizens.

Pretty much. When the California scene is better than your fanbase, you know there is issues.

Sanjuro

RED SOX LINEUP

Ellsbury, CF
Pedroia, 2B
Gonzalez, 1B
Ortiz, DH
Youkilis, 3B
Sweeney, RF
Ross, LF
Saltalamacchia, C
Aviles, SS

Lester, SP

TIGERS LINEUP

Jackson, CF
Boesch, RF
Cabrera, 3B
Fielder, 1B
Young, LF
Raburn, DH
Peralta, SS
Avila, C
Santiago, C

Verlander, SP

EDIT: Tigers have two catchers!? How do they position themselves? Glove to glove?

RBH

Braves
Bourn CF
Prado 3B
McCann C
Uggla 2B
Freeman 1B
Diaz LF
Heyward RF
Pastornicky SS
Hanson P

Los Mess
Torres CF
Murphy 2B
Wright 3B
Davis 1B
Bay LF
Duda RF
Thole C
Tejada SS
Santana P

h3ro

Sandy is on with Joe and Evan right now on the Fan. His view on David Wright's situation:

We're gonna take a wait and see approach. (paraphrasing)

I really hope the Mets don't repeat how they handled the Reyes situation last year, just for the health and safety of frank and the rest of mest-age.

h3ro

Bud Selig has ruined opening day.
It kills me that this guy has such poor insight on how terribly the sport is being managed from a fan's/spectator's point of view.

Today should be akin to a National holiday, but instead, we're getting this jumbled, confused mess of a schedule that makes zero sense to even the most seasoned fan. Compare that with the NFL, where we all know that the season is gonna start with Giants-Cowboys months upon months in advance.

Ugh.

BFIB

So the Indians game is the free game of the day on mlb.tv, so if I go to the website, I'll be able to watch the game live?

RBH

So the Indians game is the free game of the day on mlb.tv, so if I go to the website, I'll be able to watch the game live?

Yeah, I think you just need to register an account with an email address to sign in, and then you can watch the free game of the day.

Dragon

Banned
If anyone needs a proxy to get around MLB's stupid legacy blackout rules let me know. I'm running one on a linode instance in Japan to get around it.

eznark

Banned
It kills me that this guy has such poor insight on how terribly the sport is being managed from a fan's/spectator's point of view.

Today should be akin to a National holiday, but instead, we're getting this jumbled, confused mess of a schedule that makes zero sense to even the most seasoned fan. Compare that with the NFL, where we all know that the season is gonna start with Giants-Cowboys months upon months in advance.

Ugh.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. The only thing the NFL's approach does is give you a shitty concert before hand. Opening Days aren't a "national holiday" they are 32 separate local holidays separated at different time on different days.

Now, I do think the Japan stuff is fucking moronic. I'd be fine if they had done that tonight or last night or at least in the same fucking week as the actual start of the season.

BFIB

St. Louis Post Cards writer Rick Hummel had a sit down w/ Selig yesterday before the Cards/Marlins opener, here's the article posted:

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig observed Wednesday night a Cardinals team playing without first baseman Albert Pujols for the first time since 2001 and without manager Tony La Russa for the first time since 1996.

"It just shows you that nothing in baseball is forever," said Selig before the Cardinals opened the season with the Miami Marlins. "But I do have a really high opinion of (Cardinals manager) Mike Matheny. He caught for me for six or seven years in Milwaukee. A wonderful man.
"Tony was there a long, long time. He's moved on. And Albert has as well. It's happened to almost every player who's played the game, especially in the last decade."
Selig and La Russa were on hand Wednesday. But while La Russa is working for Selig, he
was not connected with him on this night.

La Russa represented Major League Baseball and MLB.com in a chat he participated in along with former pitching star Jack Morris and former slugger Frank Thomas. Selig, who visited a veterans' hospital among other activities Wednesday, acknowledged La Russa's involvement with the commissioner's office on 'special projects," but repeated his position from a month or so that La Russa could leave if he got an offer from a team to be in the front office.

"I'm aware that he'd probably rather be with a ball club," Selig said.
"I have great affection for him and have great respect for his abilities. I've given him some projects and he's a pleasure to work with. He's doing very good work here."

Although Joe Torre, another former Cardinals manager, has rejoined the commissioner's office as executive vice president of baseball operations, La Russa reports not to Torre but directly to Selig, the commissioner said.
"Joe's the on-field guy. Tony's doing projects apart from him," Selig said.
La Russa has no title. "Not yet," Selig said. "But he's got only one boss, me, so that's easy."

Both remain on Selig's 14-person, blue-ribbon panel to study and improve on-field matters. Selig said, "I told both of them that once you get on the committee, you never get off."
When he spent a half hour answering media questions before the opener, Selig talked about new Marlins Park, Joey Votto's contract with Cincinnati, the proposed international draft, potential realignment and the designated hitter.
On Marlins Park: "Fabulous, isn't it? All you can say is 'Wow!'"

On Cincinnati first baseman Votto's 10-year, $225 million deal: "Joey Votto is the face of that franchise. And I understand why (Reds owner) Bob Castellini and the Reds did it. It's good if you can preserve your star and the fans know that they have that kind of commitment. Cincinnati has to figure out the economics of all that, but it's healthy for the sport.
"So I'm grateful. There are some signings I'm not wild about, but that isn't one of them."
Asked if Pujols signing with the Los Angeles Angels, rather than the Cardinals, qualified in the other group, Selig said, "I don't comment on that."
Further realignment, after Houston goes to the American League Western Division next year, "isn't anything that's on the front burner right now," he said. "I do like realignment. But I don't see it right now.

"Now, we're going to have interleague play every day (next year) which took a little convincing of me to do."
Selig is the only front-office executive left — he was the Brewers' president — when the DH was added by the American League in 1972.
"That was the only thing I ever voted with (then Oakland A's owner) Charlie Finley on," Selig said. "The American League likes it. The National League doesn't. So it's been that way for 40 years now and that's hard to believe.

"But it will take a catalytic event to change things. A catalytic event may be more realignment, but I don't see it on the horizon."

The international draft will take place this year in a form to be determined. That would seem to include Korea and Japan, Selig said, but not Cuba.
"(Cuba) is beyond my province as commissioner," Selig said. "You have to go to Washington, D.C., and ask people about that."
Selig said he was delighted with last week's season openers in Tokyo and had one other venue in mind.
"My dream, frankly," he said, "is I want to open up in Europe, too."

eznark

Banned
"But it will take a catalytic event to change things. A catalytic event may be more realignment, but I don't see it on the horizon."

Woo hoo! Stand strong Bud! No matter what you do, as long as you beat back the tide of universal DH I will stand by your side!

I also have no problem with an MLB Europe. Who gives a shit as long as they aren't integrated.

BFIB

Opportunity for more money with the DH= cataclysmic event

Selig's final middle finger to the fans will be the DH in the NL. I've always said it, and I'll always believe it.

eznark

Banned
Opportunity for more money with the DH= cataclysmic event

Selig's final middle finger to the fans will be the DH in the NL. I've always said it, and I'll always believe it.

He's never been in favor of it, so you really have nothing to base that on. The players union is the only ones who are making a serious push for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom