• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zep

Banned
556598_271987926223333_124874354268025_647761_1155306201_n.jpg

It's going to suck missing most of opening day due to class.

Education is overrated.

BFIB

I hope I'm proved wrong. But with Houston moving to the AL, Selig pushing for interleague to play every day, you can't have two different leagues with different rules. It worked without interleague, but it can't work now if we are going to have an interleague game every day next year.

eznark

Banned
I hope I'm proved wrong. But with Houston moving to the AL, Selig pushing for interleague to play every day, you can't have two different leagues with different rules. It worked without interleague, but it can't work now if we are going to have an interleague game every day next year.

Well, with the way pitchers contracts are going it would make more sense for the players union to push for elimination of the DH. Hopefully that is the future Bud is working towards!

McNei1y

Nationals
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
RF Jayson Werth
LF Mark DeRosa
CF Roger Bernadina
C Wilson Ramos
P Stephen Strasburg

Cubs
RF David DeJesus
2B Darwin Barney
SS Starlin Castro
LF Alfonso Soriano
3B Ian Stewart
1B Jeff Baker
CF Marlon Byrd
C Geovany Soto
P Ryan Dempster

ITS BASEBALL SEASON

14_mediumjajmz.gif

BFIB

Well, with the way pitchers contracts are going it would make more sense for the players union to push for elimination of the DH. Hopefully that is the future Bud is working towards!

That would be awesome. I'm just not sure the players union would be willing to give up those 14 jobs (soon to be 15).

Keeping things in the NL Central, the Reds have a 4 year offer on the table for Phillips. Reds serious now!

DH in the NL is coming. Nothing you can do about that. The DH is a huge advantage for AL teams. I say everybody uses it or nobody does. Preferably, nobody would. But, we know what's coming.

eznark

Banned
That would be awesome. I'm just not sure the players union would be willing to give up those 14 jobs (soon to be 15).

Keeping things in the NL Central, the Reds have a 4 year offer on the table for Phillips. Reds serious now!

Like I said, pitchers contracts are rising at a faster rate than hitters. They wouldn't be giving up jobs, it's not like all of a sudden the AL teams have one fewer roster spot. It will just go to a pitcher, which is beneficial in overall compensation distribution.

I like this utopian vision of yours. Get rid of the DH. Let the old guys go play in Japan if they want to DH.

BFIB

Wasn't the DH added only due to the NL dominance of the 60's and early 70's?

Pretty sure that's no longer the case, so the DH should be dropped.

tc farks

Nationals
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
RF Jayson Werth
LF Mark DeRosa
CF Roger Bernadina
C Wilson Ramos
P Stephen Strasburg

Cubs
RF David DeJesus
2B Darwin Barney
SS Starlin Castro
LF Alfonso Soriano
3B Ian Stewart
1B Jeff Baker
CF Marlon Byrd
C Geovany Soto
P Ryan Dempster

ITS BASEBALL SEASON

I'll be pretty damn surprised if Strasburg doesn't end up with at least 10 K's.

GO CUBS!!

h3ro

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. The only thing the NFL's approach does is give you a shitty concert before hand. Opening Days aren't a "national holiday" they are 32 separate local holidays separated at different time on different days.

Now, I do think the Japan stuff is fucking moronic. I'd be fine if they had done that tonight or last night or at least in the same fucking week as the actual start of the season.

I don't mean signifying the start of the season with some shitty concert, I mean how there is one single day that marks the start of the season, such as the game last night. Instead of that, we had two games played that were barely telecast here played on the other side of the world from which the teams came back and played more exhibition games. Ridiculous. Agreed, no problem with them being in Japan, my issue is more the staggering of the season games with exhibition games.

Also, I do think the start of the season is a special day. National holiday is obviously some hyperbole on my part, but the Yanks aren't playing until tomorrow, but I'm still doing everything in my power to make it home to watch the Mets pregame festivities, etc. because I feel like it's part of the fun of the season starting.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Jays lineup:

Escobar-SS
Johnson-2B
Bautista-RF
Lind-1B
Encarnacion-DH
Lawrie-3B
Thames-LF
Arencibia-C
Rasmus-CF

Seems twitter was in a bit of a fever earlier as the press received a lineup card where Brett Lawrie was batting 3rd and Bautista hitting clean up.

Prade

Just like we all love watching a pitcher hit.

If a pitcher goes down in 3 pitches, then the game just moves right along. What's the big deal? If he actually works the opposing pitcher, it's just like any other batter. And el oh freaking el if he draws a walk.

Like I said, pitchers contracts are rising at a faster rate than hitters. They wouldn't be giving up jobs, it's not like all of a sudden the AL teams have one fewer roster spot. It will just go to a pitcher, which is beneficial in overall compensation distribution.
Wouldn't that 25th roster spot typically reserved for the DH be given to a bench guy or reliever? And the only relievers that pull the big contracts are the big name guys. Admittedly, I don't know how much the average DH makes though...

Another possible solution to placate the player's union is to increase the roster size, but then Doug Melvin is going to whine about small market teams getting the shaft again.

TheNatural

My Member!
The old DH argument again?

Screw it, I like having differences between the leagues, it's tradition. The good old days had NL and AL commissioners. Why make everything standard? That's boring.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Nationals
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
RF Jayson Werth
LF Mark DeRosa
CF Roger Bernadina
C Wilson Ramos
P Stephen Strasburg

Cubs
RF David DeJesus
2B Darwin Barney
SS Starlin Castro
LF Alfonso Soriano
3B Ian Stewart
1B Jeff Baker
CF Marlon Byrd
C Geovany Soto
P Ryan Dempster

ITS BASEBALL SEASON

14_mediumjajmz.gif

I'll only be able to catch the beginning of the game but I'm still really excited. I haven't been able to keep up with spring training.

eznark

Banned
Wouldn't that 25th roster spot typically reserved for the DH be given to a bench guy or reliever? And the only relievers that pull the big contracts are the big name guys. Admittedly, I don't know how much the average DH makes though...

Another possible solution to placate the player's union is to increase the roster size, but then Doug Melvin is going to whine about small market teams getting the shaft again.

Lol, after the recent draft changes, you can't even pretend to complain Melvin is the only one complaining.

Most teams would go to an extra arm, I would assume. Bullpen arms have been increasing at a significantly faster clip than DH contracts, which are generally stagnant over the last five years.

Fox318

So good for the season to start up.

I was listening to NYC radio this morning and the way they were talking about the Mets you would think they were the 1927 Yankees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom