• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc farks

The Brewers had me worried there after that PH LaHair bomb. Luckily the bullpen pulled through and lost them the game. If only the Padres would win more.

verbum

Blue Jays versus the Braves-

Good offensive numbers for the Jays- but does their ballpark inflate those numbers?
Atlanta has good pitching. The Jays have bad pitching.

Brandon Beachy will WHIP (0.95) the Jays to start things off right.

RBH

john-smoltz.jpg

The Braves will retire John Smoltz's No. 29 tonight, where it will join Maddux’s No. 31 and Glavine’s No. 47 and finally complete a mural of the Braves’ halcyon days. There can be no doubt that pitching is this franchise’s trademark. Not when three pitchers from the same era — their careers overlapped in Atlanta from 1993 to 2002 — will have their numbers retired and tacked to the left-field façade.

It may be a long time before another Braves pitcher is so honored.

The usual order when invoking the memory of the troika goes something like Glavine-Maddux-Smoltz. Or Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz.

One is always the last in line. For his enshrinement day, at least, Smoltz can be promoted to the head of the list.

“It’s something I didn’t care about. However it came out, I was part of a great pitching staff,” Smoltz said. “I didn’t care who got the credit, didn’t care about anything other than winning a championship.

“It would have been nice to win a few more [than one World Series]. All things said, we had an incredible run.”

He is the only pitcher in Major League history with at least 200 win (213) and 150 saves (154).

Overall record of 213-155. Career ERA of 3.33.

Record with Braves of 210-147. ERA of 3.26.

Career strikeouts: 3,084. Career walks: 1,010.

Has most strikeouts in postseason history, 199.

Career postseason record of 15-4, with four saves.

Eight All Star appearances.

One Cy Young Award (1996)

Parch

Should be an interesting series. White Sox were hot,hot,hot but the Jays handled them with little problem. They should have swept.

It's looking like the east is dominant this year. Both AL and NL. Time to see if the NL arms can handle the AL offence.

mYm|17|

Good offensive numbers for the Jays- but does their ballpark inflate those numbers?
Atlanta has good pitching. The Jays have bad pitching.

Brandon Beachy will WHIP (0.95) the Jays to start things off right.

going to the game tomorrow

get to see hanson pitch

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
lol

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/second-freak-injury-recharges-affeldts-season/

Enter freak injury number 2.

The Giants placed Affeldt on the disabled list on May 1 with a sprained MCL in his right knee. The cause? Affeldt’s preternaturally large 4-and-one-half-year-old son. Walker Affeldt (yes, that’s what a relief pitcher named his son) is 4-foot-six and weighs 60 pounds. After Daddy Affeldt returned home from the ballpark, Walker, excitedly jumped off the sofa and into his dad’s arms. Affeldt felt a pop and his knee was swollen like a bowling ball the next morning.

Trotter76 says:
June 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm

If the Affeldts were Dominican I’d suggest the kid was actually 8.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member

Glad to see him celebrated, I always respected this guy. It was nice to see him on the Cardinals, even though he didn't do as stellar has when he was in Atlanta, but part of me kind of wanted him to stay on Atlanta until retirement.

Also, Jaime Garcia is now on the DL, bringing the Cardinals total to 8 players on the DL. Or which two starting pitchers, two first basemen, and two relief pitchers. Honestly I'm surprised we're doing as well as we are with all these injuries.

Garcia was scheduled for Sunday, so who knows who we'll start in his place. ESPN is reporting Fernando Salas.

It's a shame Smoltz had to tarnish his career in 2009 by playing with other teams when it was clear his shoulder was completely shot.

If he had just hung it up, Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine would have all gone into the Hall of Fame on the same ballot. That would have been insane.

verbum

It's a shame Smoltz had to tarnish his career in 2009 by playing with other teams when it was clear his shoulder was completely shot.

If he had just hung it up, Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine would have all gone into the Hall of Fame on the same ballot. That would have been insane.

He got divorced in 2007 after 16 years of marriage. He had 4 kids. I wonder if he needed the money? He could have made up to $10 million counting bonuses for signing with the Red Sox.

Maybe his golf addiction needed feeding?
Smoltz is a good friend of professional golfer Tiger Woods. The two often golf together.[26] Woods has stated that Smoltz is the best golfer outside of the PGA Tour that he has observed.[27] He is said to have a plus 4 handicap.

Quick Hits:

• Teams that have spoken with the Phillies have come away believing that GM Ruben Amaro Jr. is on a mission to get younger, after watching so many of his aging players get hurt. In a related development, folks around the minor leagues report that Phillies scouts are targeting young third basemen and center fielders, as Placido Polanco and Shane Victorino approach free agency.

• The latest on expanded replay: If you've watched the French Open, you probably wonder why baseball doesn't install the same Hawk-Eye technology that tennis uses to handle fair/foul calls. The answer is: MLB has looked into it, but because of the massive cost, it would come down to an either/or choice between replay and Hawk-Eye. And since replay can eventually be used on many more types of calls, that's the clear preference of most people inside the game. But remember, the umpires' union has to sign off on any changes, and sources say the umpires are big fans of Hawk-Eye. So the saga continues.

• It doesn't appear that the Cubs have opened up their Matt Garza Shoppe yet. But he's about to become a very hot Rumor Central topic, even though it isn't certain they'll deal him. "He's going to be in very big play," one exec said. "If you overwhelm them, they'll move him. But they'll have to get so much back, they can't say no."

Capon @ClearTheCrease

"@BattingStanceG: Congratulations 1st rounders. Most of you will be traded for Cliff Lee pretty soon."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom