• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deal done. Dodgers have signed Andre Ethier to a 5-year, $85 million extension with a sixth-year vesting option. Here's the breakdown:

2013: $13.5 million
2014: $15 million
2015: $18 million
2016: $18 million
2017: $17.5 million
2018 option: $17.5 million/$2.5 million buyout

I kinda wanted to go after Hamilton but Ethier is still a solid player for us. Last year he dipped off but this year he has stepped up. Hopefully this contract pays off for us in the long run.

bluemax

Banned
who the fuck have the Dodgers been winning all this time? Every hitter on their team not named Ethier or AJ Ellis has been awful this year.

They make up for their lack of power by drawing a ton of walks and having a lot of balls in play turn into hits. They have one of the best offenses in baseball by wOBA and wRC+.

Culex

Banned
So I read a great statistic about Nova:

Out of the 12 games he has pitched, the Yanks have won 10.

Make him the no. 1 starter!

That seems like a lot of money for Ethier, but 5 years ins't so bad. He's got a pretty good chance to be productive for a majority of that contract, which is probably what matters most. I thought if he had a contract year, somebody was going to give him a Werth type deal. Maybe they should teach Ethier to play 1B though. Dodgers are going to have a lot of money tied up in Kemp, Ethier, Kershaw (whenever he gets his extension) and, if all the speculation is true, Cole Hamels the next few seasons. That's potentially 4 guys making close to or at $20 million a year.

tc farks

Good Lord that contract is a disaster.

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
Someone needs to hand Ned Colletti a pen and a blank piece of paper and ask him to draw a typical hitter's aging curve.

That sums it up pretty well.

ToxicAdam

It's not Ned Colletti's fault the Jayson Werth/JD Drew contracts happened.

In related news, good bye Shin Soo Choo. Have fun on whatever team Boras can convince to overpay you.

eznark

Banned
Deal done. Dodgers have signed Andre Ethier to a 5-year, $85 million extension with a sixth-year vesting option. Here's the breakdown:

2013: $13.5 million
2014: $15 million
2015: $18 million
2016: $18 million
2017: $17.5 million
2018 option: $17.5 million/$2.5 million buyout

The Braun contract is the greatest thing in history!

tc farks

I dont see him singing there. I think he will go to a west coast team.

Cole Hamels:
“[If the Phillies] don’t view me or see me in their plans, then obviously I have to go outside to look, and the Cubs would be a team I would be more than happy to [consider],” he told the Sun-Times, “just because of the fact the city hasn’t won, they’re a baseball town, like Philly, and I think seeing Theo there, obviously trying to build a team, that shows they do want to win, which obviously excites anyone.”

The key is that likelihood of winning, which Hamels, the 2008 World Series MVP, said is a priority for him, whether he stays in Philadelphia or becomes a free agent.

“I think they’re starting to get some good young talent, and that’s kind of what we did, and how we won,” he said of a Phillies team that has been to the playoffs for five consecutive years, including the 2008 championship and 2009 NL pennant. “We built around home-grown talent and then got a few good pieces to [add to] it. That’s where you have to start. And if that’s what the Cubs are doing, then they have a good vision.

“And anybody that ever has the opportunity to play for that city and win in that city, they’ll take that memory forever, and a lot of people would be really jealous that they weren’t part of that team.’’

I've seen nothing to convince me he's a CJ Wilson and he just has to go back to the West Coast.

Cole Hamels:

I've seen nothing to convince me he's a CJ Wilson and he just has to go back to the West Coast.

I am just going off of how laid back he usually sounds in interviews and such. I dont see him wanting to be the savior of a bad team. If the money is close I bet he signs with the Dodgers/Angles.

tc farks

I am just going off of how laid back he usually sounds in interviews and such. I dont see him wanting to be the savior of a bad team. If the money is close I bet he signs with the Dodgers/Angles.

Quite possible. But I think the most important factor is who is most willing to take on the gamble on giving an 8 year ~180+ million dollar contract to a would be 29 year old pitcher with a lot of mileage. The Angels might feel a little weary after Pujols, but the Dodgers are a definite candidate. The Cubs have the money, but only a handful of people know what their plans are. Hamels has always struck me as a smart guy, he knows he's going to cash in hard. I think geographic location will be secondary.

Keep in mind with the new CBA, with less money going to amateurs, the MLB contracts are trending back up. There will be a 200 million dollar pitcher soon.

Meier

Not really a big fan of throwing $17 million per year at Ethier but it is what it is. Coming in to the season, I think there was the expectation we'd try and trade him to the Yankees or something, but he's obviously having a great year (imagine that). When Kemp isn't available, he's essentially our only offensive threat so I'm not surprised they worked out an extension.

I feel like we're overpaying by at least $3-4 million per year.

Meier

Meier - I'm a bit confused by the combo Tampa/FSU/LAD fan thing. What happened?

When I was a little kid, there was no team in Florida.. my brother was a big Orel Hershiser fan and had a huge poster on his wall and my aunt lived in LA as well so I just started following the Dodgers. Obviously the Marlins came along a few years later but I'm from Orlando so that didn't really affect me.

When I was a little kid, there was no team in Florida.. my brother was a big Orel Hershiser fan and had a huge poster on his wall and my aunt lived in LA as well so I just started following the Dodgers. Obviously the Marlins came along a few years later but I'm from Orlando so that didn't really affect me.

Or anyone else in Florida.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
this is impressive and yet disappointing at the same time. All home grown players from the past 6-7 years.

SP Adam Wainwright
SP Tommy Hanson
SP Brandon Beachy
SP Neftalí Feliz
SP Julio Teheran

RP Craig Kimbrel
RP Jonny Venters
RP Mike Minor
RP Kris Medlen
RP Randall Delgado
RP Matt Harrison
RP Christhian Martinez

1B Freddie Freeman
SS Elvis Andrus, Andrelton Simmons
2B Yunel Escobar
3B Chipper Jones
C Brian McCann, Jarrod Saltalamacchia
LF Kelly Johnson
CF Jason Heyward, Jordan Schafer
RF Martin Prado, Jeff Francouer (why not)

Pretty good Roster... :(

• Brian Costa in the Journal notes that while Andres Torres' attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not causing his subpar production, his difficulty concentrating can make it more challenging to break the funk. Torres takes medication for the issue and was the subject of a documentary that recently was screened for the first time.

Writes Costa:
"There is only so much information Torres can absorb before his mind strays. "He has kind of a difficult time staying on task," [hitting coach Dave] Hudgens said. "He's a great worker, great guy, really loves the game, but it's difficult for him to stay on one thing that he's trying to work on a lot of times." That is evident simply in talking to Torres by his locker. At times, he'll be only midway through one sentence when he jumps ahead to the next. He had been talking about hitting for less than a minute Sunday when he became distracted by the name on a reporter's credential. "Is that a Latin name?" he asked. It is just as difficult for Torres to keep his body at rest, which is why he works out constantly. After a game in Pittsburgh last month, Torres did push-ups off the seat of his chair while his teammates hit the showers."
Dammit keep shiny shit away from him.
Warner Fusselle, the radio voice of the Brooklyn Cyclones since the team's inception in 2001 and a former host of "This Week in Baseball," died Sunday night. He was 68. Read more in the Daily News.
:(

Jason Bay's current Contact chart:

espnny_e_baychart_gb1_300.jpg

da fuck?

Joe

Fuck these shitty contracts. This is the reason why it costs a family of four $500 to go see a Yankee game.its bullshit.

I haven't been to the new Yankee stadium and I have no desire. Players deserve to make good money as they are entertainers, draw large crowds every day and pool in large amounts of money but salaries are out of hand.

Vladimir Guerrero asked the Blue Jays to release him if he was not in their plans. The release was granted and he is now a free agent again.

sangreal

it doesnt cost remotely close to $500 to bring 4 people to a Yankee game btw unless you're planning to spend like $100 a person on concessions and transportation

sangreal

That sounds about right to me, unless you are purposely trying to go cheap.

Well, I guess it depends on what you consider acceptable seats. I certainly have no problem sitting in the bleachers for $25 (face value, ignoring the frequent deals/secondhand market). Concessions are expensive, but not insane. Food is like $10-15 a meal and beer starts at $6

I know the grandstands are cheap too, but I've never sat there. Last time I went with a group we say in the 200 level seats and it was $50 a person but that was group rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom