• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
It doesn't get 'real' until August. Only 2 more months to go.

Plenty of time for the Brewers! I can't believe this fucking team starting Brooks Conrad, Edwin Maysonet and Travis Ishikawa for extended periods of time is only 4.5 games out.

LOL @ NL Central

RBH

Some interested teams are hearing that a decision on a team from top Cuban outfield prospect Jorge Soler could come within the next 24-36 hours. Final bids were due Sunday, according to several executives involved in the process.

The Cubs have been seen as a favorite for months. The Yankees are among several other teams bidding. Other teams connected to Soler have included the Astros, Red Sox, Orioles, Phillies, Blue Jays, Pirates, Dodgers and Braves.

Soler's camp requested bids last Thursday, and the interest is said to be high in the power-hitting rigthfielder who just turned 20. The best of Soler's many attributes is his tremendous power.

However, his timing may even better. Starting July 1, there will be a $2.9 million allotment for international signings in a calendar year.

"It's a perfect storm for Soler. He's the last bonus baby before the new CBA [rule] kicks in," one executive said.

One executive estimated Soler would get "between $20 million and Cespedes," referring to the A's signing of Yoenis Cespedes for $36 million over four years. However, Soler's timing may help him do even better. It helps Soler that Cespedes and fellow Cuban and Reds reliever Aroldis Chapman look like smart signings so far.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/j...24-to-36-hours-from-when-bids-were-due-sunday

I think the Cubs will get him, Theo needs a big signing to kind of put his stamp on things, plus they desperately need some new talent on that team.

eznark

Banned
It'd be razy if he gets anywhere close to Chapman and Cespedes, even with the "perfect storm" conditions. Those 2 were ready for the bigs right away, Soler still needs development.

I think he's a shitty fit for the Yankees but perfect for a team like the Cubs and Astros who are trying to rebuild from the ground up. They have the time to wait on him and (at least in the Cubs case) the money to spend.

crawl2.gif

tc farks

Sherman and Rosenthal confirmed Soler to the Cubs.

Felt like he was basically theirs for a while now, still relieved to see it actually confirmed.

tc farks

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
Soler got about $30M in cubs deal

Quote:
Cuban free agent outfielder Jorge Soler has signed a nine-year, $30 million contract with the Chicago Cubs, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com has learned.

I guessed he would get 30 mil, but 9 years is an incredibly pleasant surprise.

tc farks

My guess is there are escalators in the contract, likely in his (would be) arbitration years. They structured it as to limit as much risk as possible.

Hard to say without knowing the particulars. Regardless, it's a steal.

eznark

Banned
My guess is there are escalators in the contract, likely in his (would be) arbitration years. They structured it as to limit as much risk as possible.

Hard to say without knowing the particulars. Regardless, it's a steal.

That's how the mortgage mess started.

Malo

Banned
Nine years is insane. I would have liked for the yankees to have signed him, but not for that many years and money.

Derrek Lee's agent is telling teams he's getting ready to play and will be available for teams looking for 1B help. The Pirates are already interested.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
way to go blue jays, i was hoping for a nationals loss and now you go on and let your pitcher get injured. damn Canadians.

Fenix

[KoRp]Jazzman;38784315 said:
WTF??? i just turned the game on and Beck is in??? Someone fill me in... do i need to go cry in a corner, or is it like a hang nail injury??
Something on Morrow's left side. Could be an oblique or could even be something with his insulin pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom