• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Wait, why do you guys hate baseball so much? Everybody knows you're not supposed talk about a PERFECT GAME while it's going on, and as far as I know there is a PERFECT GAME going on for Ervin Santana against the dbacks

hemtae

Wait, why do you guys hate baseball so much? Everybody knows you're not supposed talk about a PERFECT GAME while it's going on, and as far as I know there is a PERFECT GAME going on for Ervin Santana against the dbacks

Now this is a PERFECT GAME I can support

Sharp

I find it perplexing that all these pitchers are having Tommy John despite them being coddled.
Obviously it's because they all have inverted W's
628x471.jpg

Gio has one too by the way so if you're a particularly despicable sort of NL East fan I guess you can hope for him to be derailed by TJ surgery for a year.

(I don't personally think the inverted W means a hell of a lot since so many pitchers get injured regardless--hi Rubby de la Rosa--so this is more for the handwringers and conspiracy theorists among you).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i think its just we can diagnose more injuries therefore we have more injuries. And there is the fact that teams spend a shit load on these players so they are extra cautious.

Sharp

i think its just we can diagnose more injuries therefore we have more injuries. And there is the fact that teams spend a shit load on these players so they are extra cautious.
Players are also throwing a lot harder in recent years apparently, though I can't find the article at the moment. Considering that TJ and other injuries are generally caused by an unusual amount of stress placed on the ligaments in the arm, and some pitchers are putting very close to the maximum amount of force those ligaments can take on them, it's not actually all that surprising that we're seeing a surge in injuries (if we are in fact seeing one).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yeah i always hear old players saying how everyone is throwing a shit ton harder now. that probably is the case, these players are in a lot better shape than they were in the 80s etc.. (especially when they thought working out was bad for baseball players). And then of course pitchers are expected to only pitch 6 innings now so they can put more effort into each pitch.

Sharp

yeah i always hear old players saying how everyone is throwing a shit ton harder now. that probably is the case, these players are in a lot better shape than they were in the 80s etc.. (especially when they thought working out was bad for baseball players). And then of course pitchers are expected to only pitch 6 innings now so they can put more effort into each pitch.
Seems to be true, at least to some extent. 89.9 on average on the fastball in 2002, 91.5 this year. It's been going up pretty consistently since then. Relievers' velocities are up too (90.6 in 2002, 92.3 in 2012) so it's not just the innings pitched thing.

McNei1y

Relievers' velocities are up too (90.6 in 2002, 92.3 in 2012) so it's not just the innings pitched thing.

I remember MASN showed a stat recently about how often "closers" came out to pitch two innings between the 80s and now. The later 80's had like 70% of pitchers coming out for two innings rather than just one. It steadily dropped every 4 years. The number between 08-12 was like below 25%. I know that's not proof or anything but even closers are pitching less than they did 20 years ago.

Culex

Banned
I'm really excited to see Nova pitch today. He has done so phenomenally well so far, it's amazing that he's already at half his total wins from 2011, and we haven't hit the halfway point yet in the season.

I'm really excited to see Nova pitch today. He has done so phenomenally well so far, it's amazing that he's already at half his total wins from 2011, and we haven't hit the halfway point yet in the season.

His win total is pure luck, but his last 3 games he is pitching much better then his ERA tells

Enron

Banned
But his velocity started to dip during the fourth inning and there was apparent trouble as his perfect game -- and outing -- concluded with a two-out walk to Chris Davis. He opened the plate appearance with consecutive curveballs that did not reach the plate. There were more signs of trouble when his next two fastballs were clocked at 86 and 88 mph.

That's worse than a strain. Next time we see Brandon Beachy at this level of effectiveness is going to be 2014.

Fuck.

Oh Andres Torres you moron. Swinging at the 2nd pitch and you can't get a productive out? Hell, Chris Young has taken more pitches than you did and it's a 2-0 count!

EDIT: AHAHHAHAHAHA walked Young. 1-0 Mets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom