• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

3smRJst.jpg

Girl Scouts selling steroids.
Man, are they pumping in something into the water supply for the mean streets of Vegas?

In one year, Cards went from zero depth in the SS position, and some depth in the 3B position, to zero depth in the 3B position, and depth in the SS position.
It's a fair and valid point about how much things can change in one year (much less 4 or 5). No doubt the Cards will want to shore up that 3B depth in the minors in the next few years so ultimately, it's a matter of having a 33, 34 y.o. Marp vs some other guy as a stopgap. Or maybe a prospect will show up and challenge Marp for the starting job by that time.

If 3B is locked down for the next 5-6 years, I wonder what happens to Peralta if he's no longer an adequate defensive SS in a few years (as many people seem to predict).

Considering what his particular skills are, they would probably be right in thinking that. I'm more concerned about injury risk however, which starts increasing substantially into the 30's. I'd like to think about it in terms of expected utility. For example:

Player A is projected to be a 5 win player, but has a 60% chance of missing more time than expected. Player B is projected for a 3 win season but only has a 20% chance of being seriously injured.

Player A's expected utility would then be 5*0.4, or 2 wins. Player B's would be 3*0.8, or 2.4 wins.

Those example numbers are extreme, but hopefully highlight my point. I'd rather go with younger payers then older ones, even if the older ones are better players.
I could've sworn I read somewhere that injury history was a better predictor of future injury than age. Older players simply take longer to recover from the same injuries as a younger player. Don't remember where I read that - perhaps I imagined it lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The M's are going to be a lot worse than The Yankees.

They are very similar in a lot of ways. Tough divisions, good pitching, serious holes at certain positions. M's are younger with horrible management while Yankees should lead the league in time on the DL and have better management.

Macattk15

Last year we had Aaron Harang, Jeremy Bonderman, and Joe Saunders make some starts at SP.

They are replaced by Taijuan Walker (hopefully), James Paxton and Erasmo Ramirez this year.

No more Brendan Ryan, no more Humberto Quintero/Kelly Shoppach/Henry Blanco to be complete shits. Hopefully no more Endy Chavez.

I don't see how you can say with current rosters the Yankees are MUCH better than the Mariners. If Frailsbury or Teixeira gets hurt ... you guys could be in a world of trouble. Your pitching staff isn't all it's cracked up to be.

BFIB

Going into this year, which team from the AL and NL will fare better in 2014 compared to 2013?

My AL pick is the Angels. For NL, I'm picking the Nationals.

Going into this year, which team from the AL and NL will fare better in 2014 compared to 2013?

My AL pick is the Angels. For NL, I'm picking the Nationals.

Better record wise? I dont see anyway the Phillies could do worse so they would be my NL pick. I think the Orioles will be better in the AL.

Parch

Ervin Santana fired his agent.

He's obviously pissed he hasn't signed with anybody yet. Expecting a $100M contract didn't help. Now he's asking for $50M and apparently will negotiate the deal himself.

Parch

So good that Dr. Frank Jobe got some recognition by the Baseball Hall of Fame last year. There isn't another individual that has had a bigger impact on so many player's careers.
RIP

Adam Dunn only getting half the playing time will alone make the white sox a better team :p

Adam Dunn should play every day and maybe a team will get desperate at the deadline.

The nightmare is almost over anyways, and I loved the signing when it happened...

zulux21

Adam Dunn should play every day and maybe a team will get desperate at the deadline.

The nightmare is almost over anyways, and I loved the signing when it happened...

nah... let him only face right handers and inflate his numbers... if he is batting .280/.400 with 15-20 home runs at the deadline the sox might actually be able to move him for an interesting prospect.

As for the original signing of him... I have hated it since day 1. I dislike low average, high strike out power hitters in general. Sure their end numbers might be fine but it's all or nothing with them which not only makes them really streaky but tends to make a team streaky as well. The thing that drives me the most crazy about the left handed hitters like dunn though is the fact that if he spent an off season practicing bunting he would become a .300+ hitter as at the start of the season he could just take all the free hits (I mean he doesn't even need a good bunt, he just has to bunt it hard towards third and it would get through just fine) he is given when they put on that monster shift and keep taking them until they stop the shift, then go back to hitting like normal with a weaker defense in the area he likes to hit. I really don't care if he was signed to be a power hitter. I would much rather he take the free hits (and have a few less solo homeruns) and abuse what should be a moronic idea of shifting your 3rd baseman and second baseman to the right side of the infield :/

BFIB

Wong is 2-2 today with a double. Taveras also hit a double in his first spring AB. Liking what I'm seeing so far.

nah... let him only face right handers and inflate his numbers... if he is batting .280/.400 with 15-20 home runs at the deadline the sox might actually be able to move him for an interesting prospect.

As for the original signing of him... I have hated it since day 1. I dislike low average, high strike out power hitters in general. Sure their end numbers might be fine but it's all or nothing with them which not only makes them really streaky but tends to make a team streaky as well. The thing that drives me the most crazy about the left handed hitters like dunn though is the fact that if he spent an off season practicing bunting he would become a .300+ hitter as at the start of the season he could just take all the free hits (I mean he doesn't even need a good bunt, he just has to bunt it hard towards third and it would get through just fine) he is given when they put on that monster shift and keep taking them until they stop the shift, then go back to hitting like normal with a weaker defense in the area he likes to hit. I really don't care if he was signed to be a power hitter. I would much rather he take the free hits (and have a few less solo homeruns) and abuse what should be a moronic idea of shifting your 3rd baseman and second baseman to the right side of the infield :/

Adam Dunn signing was exciting IMO because of the Mark Kotsay/Anruw Jones shitshow in 2010. I thought he would easily hit 40 HR year in year out and be the OBP machine he always was.
The bunt thing though I agree somewhat. But I assume players are aware of the possiblity of some cheap hits here and there, but if they feel uncomfortable doing that and it messes up their overall approach they should do what they always did as long as they stay productive. That being said Adam Dunn should have bunted almost exclusively starting June 2011.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Is that .280 OBP? Cause he hasn't hit higher than .226 against righties in the last three years.

zulux21

Is that .280 OBP? Cause he hasn't hit higher than .226 against righties in the last three years.

nah... I am hoping that with only playing half the time against the pitchers he is slightly better against he will have more energy thus better numbers. (I am expecting him to hit .150 with 200 strike outs in 300 at bats with 8 home runs by the all star break >.>)

to be fair he hit decently well the second half of last season... so maybe he can have an ok first half.

Either way I am hoping dunn and konerko just rotate the DH slot and the only time they are both in the line up is when one came in to pitch hit late in the game.

zulux21

Royals announced Hochevar will undergo Tommy John. Tough loss for the Royals.

a pitcher with a single good season (as a reliever) where he could have been easily replaced any other season isn't really a tough loss... I would consider losing someone like Salvador Perez for the season would be more of a tough loss.

Macattk15

Lifetime supply of mustard but you have to take Nunez. You're already getting garbage back in mustard, why not take on more?!

I'm so sorry cards' age :(

I just can't willingly take Nunez.

Randy Wolf getting destroyed today ... thank god. Hopefully that keeps him off the team.

Are they though?

I mean I'd say:

Rotation: Yankees (but mostly because of the back end)
Bullpen: Wash
Infield: Mariners
Outfield: Yankees
Bench: Wash
Catching: I have no idea

The Yankees infield is gonna make a lot of people in New York sad this summer.

Top Bottom