• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
He still has to pitch on the road. Think of the triples he's going to give up to the Tigers, Lol!

edit: actually I remember a few HRs he gave up there too.

Zep

Banned
YAAAAAAAAS get the FUCK OUT phil

I'll pack your shit, you just stand there while I get your possessions.

1. the 9000 home run balls you gave up
2. the slimfit you didn't drink last year that you were supposed to
3. the excess soulglo for your mullet

bye

He broke your heart Kev. We all know how much you believed in him at one point.

;_(

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It will be interesting to see who gets more value, the Twins out of Hughes or the Royals out of Vargas.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
3 guaranteed years? Oh, Twins.
It's not like they have any real payroll obligations outside of Mauer past this season. It's a gamble but not one that's going to cripple the team. I'm not in love with the deal but I don't hate it. In fact I love the aggressiveness.

They might have a legitimate rotation this year. I almost want to cry I am so happy.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It's not like they have any real payroll obligations outside of Mauer past this season. It's a gamble but not one that's going to cripple the team. I'm not in love with the deal but I don't hate it. In fact I love the aggressiveness.

They might have a legitimate rotation this year. I almost want to cry I am so happy.

Would you rather have Nolasco + Hughes or Cano?

I don't know why Cano doesn't take a 5 year $150MM deal and then re up for like 2 or 3 years after.
He's 31 this year. You really think he's going to get much of a contract when he's a 36 year old free agent? His best opportunity to cash in is now. There's too much injury/decline risk in the next 5 years to roll the dice again from his standpoint and it's not like he's going to have trouble getting a 7+ year deal this offseason.

He's 31 this year. You really think he's going to get much of a contract when he's a 36 year old free agent? His best opportunity to cash in is now. There's too much injury/decline risk in the next 5 years to roll the dice again from his standpoint and it's not like he's going to have trouble getting a 7+ year deal this offseason.

Look at Beltran.

Look at Beltran.
Beltran proves it's not impossible to be a desired free agent at age 36 but he's the exception rather than the rule. The injury/decline risk for 31-35 year old players is real and most players seem to value security (years) over AAV.

My point is that Cano doesn't have to settle for a 5 year deal - unless his agent fucks up majorly, his new contract is going to be closer to his demands than 5/150. When was the last time the best free agent on the market didn't get most of what he wanted (barring a hometown discount or collusion)?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Would you rather have Nolasco + Hughes or Cano?
Through 2017 I would certainly rather have Cano, sure. But I wouldn't want to owe him $100+ million beyond that. I would have liked them to sign Sanchez last year but I doubt he was going to sign on a team that lost 95 games in back to back years.

Also the Twins rotation was beyond bad. It was a ghastly, terrible, fuck awful mess. Nolasco and Hughes aren't world beaters but they're actual living breathing MLB pitchers which is something they lacked before. Both signings aren't ones that are going to put them over the top but they'll at least make the team watchable. Watching them fall into five run holes within two innings every night was brutal.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
BIG PELF and BIG PHIL
They're not close on a deal with Pelf. It sounds like they offered him 2/$10 and they're waiting to hear back. They could just set that money on fire instead.

I mean if it was like 2007 P-Hug/Nolasco/Big Pelf looks like a World Series rotation!

if Cano and NY are really as far apart as is being reported, the situation is fascinating. In general, in sports, I feel like teams never seem to take advantage of the leverage they have at times. If the offer in place NY really has for Cano is somewhere in the neighborhood or 7 years/$170 million, why exactly would they need to go over? Is there realistically any team that will go over that? Detroit just unloaded Prince presumably because they are wanting to extend Scherzer and Miggy. Even the Dodgers are trying to trade away salary (Kemp, Eithier) to give them more flexibility and just signed that Cuban to play 2B. There always seems to be a "mystery" team that pops up with a huge offer, but rarely if ever is that a $200 million offer which is what it seems like it would take to trump NY.

BFIB

if Cano and NY are really as far apart as is being reported, the situation is fascinating. In general, in sports, I feel like teams never seem to take advantage of the leverage they have at times. If the offer in place NY really has for Cano is somewhere in the neighborhood or 7 years/$170 million, why exactly would they need to go over? Is there realistically any team that will go over that? Detroit just unloaded Prince presumably because they are wanting to extend Scherzer and Miggy. Even the Dodgers are trying to trade away salary (Kemp, Eithier) to give them more flexibility and just signed that Cuban to play 2B. There always seems to be a "mystery" team that pops up with a huge offer, but rarely if ever is that a $200 million offer which is what it seems like it would take to trump NY.
Greed.

Because hometown teams realize that things could happen to make another team freak out and overspend. Just look at how Fielder got his deal. He was about to go into spring training without a team, then suddenly Victor Martinez was out for the year with a torn ACL. The Tigers freaked out and overpaid.

Im going with Phil being more halpful than Jason Vargas. Has better stuff, change of scenery and that stadium should help him. leaving NY is a big deal.

1474615_10153543552730005_1668689890_n.jpg

I don't even understand what Chipper's trying to say in that tweet. He should have just said "What if Huddy takes the mound for the first time in SF next year and shatters his ankle again? LOL"

Whatever. The Braves were a bunch of petulant whiners for the shit they pulled when he threw out the first pitch.

To be fair, what Chipper did was very...ill-advised. Can you imagine the shitstorm if Derek Jeter in his first year of retirement publicly predicted the Yankees to lose in the first round?

To be fair, what Chipper did was very...ill-advised. Can you imagine the shitstorm if Derek Jeter in his first year of retirement publicly predicted the Yankees to lose in the first round?

I think most rational people wouldn't care. The problem is expecting a team led by Brian McCann to think rationally and not act like bitches.

We've gotten all that we can out of Fartolo. I expect him to have a huge drop off once he is out of the Bay Area and is on a Miami based regimen.

Sanjuro

If Jeter said it? Nope.

Yankee fans would be calling in for him to be manager for the next season in minutes.

Top Bottom