• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Zep

Banned
Maddux and Thomas should be locks. Your maybes are Biggio, Kent and Piazza. Everyone else I don't think make it in this year.

Maddux and Thomas should be locks. Your maybes are Biggio, Kent and Piazza. Everyone else I don't think make it in this year.

I think Kent stands a good chance of being this year's Kenny Lofton/Lou Whittaker: great player who gets totally overshadowed and winds up falling off after one year.

I personally think Thomas was just better but whatever

Of course but both should get in. My point is that Thomas isn't getting the same kind is scrutiny as other power hitters because these dumbass writers have created some arbitrary criteria to decide who did and didn't use steroids based on things like "this guy had muscles" and "a writer once noticed bacne on him in the locker room"

Sanjuro

It's funny that Thomas will get in while Piazza won't because dumb fuck writers still think they know what a steroid user looks like.

The general rule of thumb should be if they played professional baseball, they did steroids.

I'd vote most of the guys in this year. Maddux no, because he used glasses.

3N16MA

Banned
I personally think Thomas was just better but whatever

Piazza has no reason to not get in even if Thomas is the better hitter. Piazza is probably top 5 at his position all-time and has never failed a drug test or linked to PEDs (what he did was OK by MLB standards a the time).

Also Glavine is going to get a greater % than Mussina because of 300 wins and his Cy Young awards.

It has always been Mussina > Glavine.

Syrinx

Of course but both should get in. My point is that Thomas isn't getting the same kind is scrutiny as other power hitters because these dumbass writers have created some arbitrary criteria to decide who did and didn't use steroids based on things like "this guy had muscles" and "a writer once noticed bacne on him in the locker room"

What royally pisses me off is how some people are like "Well, he was a 38th round pick who became the greatest hitting catcher of all time, so that obviously means he did steroids". Yeah, God fucking forbid he was actually just a massively overlooked talent.

And like steroids could single-handedly turn the guy from a total scrub not even worth wasting a low draft pick on to that caliber of player in the first place.

JDHarbs

Looks like the Royals got new unis too. I like it better than the usual royal blue uni we've had.

600x600_jersey_announcement.jpg

jakncoke

Banned
How much money is teams getting from the tv deal? Pirates have Burnet/Jones/Barmes off the books which i think comes to around 23 million + tv money to get something. Will they? Probably not.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The local beat reporter says it's not Bronson Arroyo, Ricky Nolasco, or Jarrod Saltalamacchia. It's being defined as a "major free agent".
Garza's the only "major" guy I've heard them linked to that Wolfson hasn't thrown cold water on, but it didn't sound like they were close on him.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I worry he'll get crushed in the AL but he's easily the best starter on that staff now. Hopefully pitching in a pitchers' park helps.

Twins and Ricky Nolasco have agreed. Let's all prepare our guts for the laugher the money figure will make us expend, if previous deals have been any indication.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Twins and Ricky Nolasco have agreed. Let's all prepare our guts for the laugher the money figure will make us expend, if previous deals have been any indication.
It sounds like it'll be 3 years with a 4th year option. 3/$40 with a $15 million option for 2017 will be my guess. I look forward to being way under.

Lynn is a #3 on our team, yet he's probably a solid #2 on most rotations. Agreed there, even though I'm not the biggest Lynn supporter.
Barring injury, trade, or crazy underpeformance, Lynn is behind Wainwright/Shelby/Wacha at the very least. If Hymay makes a miraculous comeback from his shoulder woes, Lynn is probably our 5th starter.

No way he's a #2 starter on a contending team. Solid #3 or good #4 IMO. Command isn't consistent enough and he needs a better pitch to go with his fastballs or LHBs will continue to give him trouble.

That said, he should have good trade value since he missed the super-two cutoff. A package based around Lance Lynn (with a couple of solid prospects thrown in) probably would've been a fair deal for an Aybar or a Hardy.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Omar Infante is one of those poor bastards who has to combine their birthday with Christmas. Therefore he deserves a big contract.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This makes me realize that I know more about the Twins' minor league system than their MLB team.
That's probably for the best. I watch easily over a hundred games a year and I didn't know who some of the fucking scrubs on the MLB roster were. It's been bad.

4/$49 seems okay for Nolasco. Probably a year longer than I would want but it's nice to see them sign someone for the rotation who wasn't pulled out of a dumpster. Apparently they're not out on Garza either. If they signed both I would be ecstatic, but I am guessing the next guy they sign is Arroyo. I would prefer Kazmir or P-Hug to be honest. With Nolasco, one of those three, and a decent chance at Meyer being ready later in the summer they could actually have a real live rotation.

Top Bottom