• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 3m
Nats trade Krol, Lombardozzi and minor leaguer for Doug Fister according to sources.

Washington Nationals ‏@Nationals 1m
The #Nats have acquired Doug Fister from the #Tigers in exchange for Steve Lombardozzi, Ian Krol & Robbie Ray: http://bit.ly/1as4ZeB

turnbuckle

I hate this trade. Looks like a salary dump move.

The era of the Detroit Tigers being contenders is over. Time to give contracts to Brandon Inge and Bobby Higginson.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
This is probaby a 3-win pick-up for the Nats. Yeah, the Braves won the division by 10 games last year while struggling with severe injuries and a coupe under-performances, but this really limits Atlanta's margin for error next year.

Right now, I think the Braves still have the better team, but not by enough for me to feel comfortable.

ilmA6frAbg8mq.gif

The FUCK are you doing, Dombrowski?

Syrinx

What the hell are the Tigers possibly hoping to accomplish with this? I don't know what this is, but they could have gotten a hell of a better offer than that in return for a pitcher like Fister when people like Nolasco and Vargas are getting the money they're getting in this market.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
The Tigers couldn't even get the pitcher they wanted from the Nats:
"@JeffPassan

Tigers asked for Taylor Jordan. Nationals wouldn't relent."

LOL

Ok, they did get the utility player they wanted:
"DD: Mentions Ray's potential again. Calls Lombardozzi one of the best utility guys in the league"

-0.7 fWAR in 2013

Unadulterated theivery.

Zep

Banned
With Johnson projected to make 10 mil, I don't see the issue with trading him. I'm sure they could have waited a bit longer for someone else to bite.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I like the move for the Orioles. Johnson was a total salary dump, they werent going to get shit for that $10+ million salary thsi year, and they picked up an interesting change of scenery guy for him.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I think you have to assume that the Tigers are really high on Robbie Ray, and that they were afraid the Nats would take him off the table if they took the time to shop Fister around further.

Opiate

The Jim Johnson trade isn't nearly so lopsided. Athletics win, but Johnson has only been worth 2.7 WAR more over the last 3 years and is going to make 7-10M while Weeks makes near league minimum and is under team control for longer.

Top Bottom