• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

AA has seemingly had a hard on for Beckham for the last 3 years. He just can't let players he likes go.

Looks like we picked up Lind's option

But they declined Kawasaki. NOOOOOOO.

I never thought I'd say this, but he's not a terrible player. He knows how to take pitches and draw walks, which is more than can be said about anyone on the roster outside of EE, Bautista and, occasionally, Lind. Hopefully they're able to bring him back.

I covet Stealsbury, but I don't think the Astros will make a play for him.

Wouldn't mind if they signed him or Choo.

(Both would probably cost more than triple their entire payroll lol)

they are increasing payroll though, right? get some veterans to play with that nice young talent you guys have in the minors.

Syrinx

Thing is, would anybody worth a damn even want to go to the Astros? I guess if they really flash the green they could, but I don't see them winning any bidding wars.

Rumor is that the Cards shut down Shelby Miller to keep him healthy as a potential trade prospect, possibly for some shortstop out of Texas. Maybe Jurickson Profar? Not sure how fair that trade would be straight up, I don't know much about Profar.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rumor is that the Cards shut down Shelby Miller to keep him healthy as a potential trade prospect, possibly for some shortstop out of Texas. Maybe Jurickson Profar? Not sure how fair that trade would be straight up, I don't know much about Profar.

Nah your manager is just an idiot. There was no operation shut down here. If they were doing what you said was rumored they wouldn't have wasted a roster spot on him.

BFIB

If the Cards did do this, then they flat out deserved to lose. Why have someone on the roster that you're not planning on using at all?

If he's traded, then my guess is its something else that lead to the trade.

My guess is they had some crazy scenario where they would use him as a last resort, but let's be honest here, our run support was so shitty in most of these games that if Shelby had pitched and kept the game a couple runs closer we still probably would have lost. I'm not sure that makes much sense, but neither does wasting a roster space.

If the Cards did do this, then they flat out deserved to lose. Why have someone on the roster that you're not planning on using at all?

They had Mujica on the roster and didn't use him either. Weird decisions.

Parch

But they declined Kawasaki. NOOOOOOO.
I never thought I'd say this, but he's not a terrible player. He knows how to take pitches and draw walks, which is more than can be said about anyone on the roster outside of EE, Bautista and, occasionally, Lind. Hopefully they're able to bring him back.
Kawasaki is a borderline major leaguer, but Jays don't exactly have a utility infielder that's significantly better.

I'm wondering how much of the decision had to do with this "fan favorite" nonsense and this guy being the team clown. I hated that about the Jays. When the team is in last place and struggling, all the dancing and stupid handshakes are ridiculous and unprofessional IMO. Get serious, and then celebrate when there's actually something to celebrate about.
If Jays management feels like the team needs to be more professional and without idiots like Kawasaki, then I'm all for it.

/no fun league, Serious Fox.

3N16MA

Banned
Miami has Stanton under control for another 3 seasons. Until someone unloads the farm for him they won't move him.

Jeter resigned for 1/12 instead of picking up his option.

Malo

Banned
He had a player option which would actually cost more against the luxury tax if he picked it up.
How so? His player option was for $9.5 million.

Edit: Nevermind. If he would have picked it up the aav would have been $14 million. So they save a couple of million by doing this.

3N16MA

Banned
How so? His player option was for $9.5 million.

The player option is treated as a guaranteed year under the CBA bringing Jeter's contract to 4/56 or 14M per season. More than 9.5M would be counted towards the luxury tax despite his 2014 salary.

Malo

Banned
The player option is treated as a guaranteed year under the CBA bringing Jeter's contract to 4/56 or 14M per season. More than 9.5M would be counted towards the luxury tax despite his 2014 salary.
Yeah, I get it now after seeing Feinsand's tweet.

This just further confirms the $189 million mandate. This off-season is going to be interesting to say the least.

3N16MA

Banned
Yeah, I get it now after seeing Feinsand's tweet.

This just further confirms the $189 million mandate. This off-season is going to be interesting to say the least.

Jeter gets more guaranteed money while the Yanks get a lower AVV towards the tax. Should free up around 3M.

Because secretly holding him out of postseason action without any type of acknowledgement would boost his trade value? If they came out and said they were Strasburging him, that may be a possibility. Doing it this way would just lead to speculation of injury and lower his trade value.

Not that we haven't done stupid stuff to lower the trade value of our players before *coughcoughColbyRasmuscough* but I'm willing to pin most of that on TLR opening his mouth to the media.

As Soka said, it ultimately matters little in the end. A healthy, effective Miller would've been significant. But assuming he really wasn't fit to pitch and you wanted to replace him on the roster, the best option to replace him would've been a third LHP out of the bullpen in Freeman/Lyons. Certainly would've helped with Ortiz but we lost because we couldn't get a big hit from the bottom of the lineup.

Our options for adding another bat were Rob fucking Johnson and Adron Chambers. If Taveras hadn't gotten injured, I'd be more upset of wasting the last two roster spots on mop-up guys who were non-factors.

Let's recap since Game 6 of the World Series.

-- The Rockies declined their half of Rafael Betancourt's $4.25 millon mutual option. He gets a $250k buyout.

-- The Brewers exercised Norichika Aoki's $1.9 million club option.

-- The Rangers announced they will extend a 1-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer to Nelson Cruz.

-- The White Sox exercised Matt Lindstrom's $4 million club option.

-- The Royals exercised James Shields' $13.5 million club option.

-- The Indians unconditionally released Chris Perez.

-- The Indians signed Jason Giambi to a minor league contract with an invite to spring training.

-- The Rangers declined Lance Berkman's $12 million club option. He will receive a $1 million buyout.

-- The Marlins exercised Jacob Turner's $1 million club option.

-- The Cardinals declined their half of Jake Westbrook's $9.5 million mutual option. He will receive a $1 million buyout.

-- The Red Sox announced they will make 1-year, $14.1 million qualifying offers to Stephen Drew, Mike Napoli, and Jacoby Ellsbury.

-- The Dodgers declined Mark Ellis' $5.75 million club option and their half of Chris Capuano's $8 million mutual option. Both Ellis and Capuano will receive $1 million buyouts.

-- The Blue Jays exercised club options on Casey Janssen ($4 million), Adam Lind ($7 million), and Mark DeRosa ($750k). They declined Munenori Kawasaki's $1 million club option.

-- The Indians exercised their half of Ubaldo Jimenez's $8 million mutual option. However, Jimenez declined his half, making him a free agent. His 2014 club option became a mutual option when the Rockies traded him on July 31, 2011.

-- The Indians declined Jason Kubel's $7.5 million club option. He will receive a $1 million buyout from the Diamondbacks.

-- The Yankees re-signed Derek Jeter to a 1-year, $12 million deal, cancelling his $9.5 million club option.

-- The Mets declined Johan Santana's $25 million club option. He will receive a $5.5 million buyout.

-- The Athletics exercised club options on Coco Crisp ($7.5 million) and Brett Anderson ($8 million). They declined club options on Chris Young ($11 million) and Kurt Suzuki ($8.5 million). Young will receive a $1.5 million buyout while Suzuki will receive a $650k buyout.

-- Wandy Rodriguez exercised his $13 million player option with the Pirates.

-- The Tigers declined Jose Veras' $3.25 million club option. He will receive a $150k buyout.

3N16MA

Banned
Sherman and Onley reporting that Jeter's new deal actually worsens the tax hit a bit and does not approve it which is the opposite of what everyone was reporting.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Posted?

Ryan Dempster celebrated the World Series win by throwing BP until 3 a.m. to anyone still in the stadium

E98OmDw.jpg

Fox318

What was the most dramatic end to a World Series? Not game before the win(1986 and 2011 eliminated) but a winning game or game 7.

The games that come to my head are:

1926?
1955?
1960?
1991?
2001?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
they are increasing payroll though, right? get some veterans to play with that nice young talent you guys have in the minors.

They are going to increase payroll, by how much remains to be seen.

First and foremost they need to fix that damn shitty bullpen.

Top Bottom