• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

And the Tigers have announced that Ausmus is in.

Wow. Dombrowski: "We planned on interviewing Barry Larkin." He pulled out of consideration.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Walked by a house a couple weeks ago, cardinals flag on the front porch. Walked by it just now, no flag.

Life Long.

RGVNOE

No, he's right. 2012 Lynn had better overall stats than 2013 Miller. The "Lynn is a headcase" narrative is overblown at this point. He's inconsistent but still a good pitcher if you believe in peripherals.

Miller still has higher trade value obviously due to age, team control, and more prospect hype.

The problem with Lynn is that he's very inconsistent, and he's kinda like Jaime Garcia when an error is made behind him or he's not hitting his spot he kinda loses it and the game snowballs on them. It seems that mentally it's still not there for both, but it happens less with Jaime and he's got better stuff. Plus Lynn has had bad stretches for 2 straight years don't necessarily want a pitcher who goes through that often. Not saying Shelby's the best, but I'll take him over Lynn and the Cards have quite a few other pitchers that I'd like to see start over Lynn.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rays picked up the option on DeJesus. Basically cements the end of Matt Joyce's time in TB.

I like DeJesus (and his wife) but this move basically has zero upside which always sucks for a payroll limited team like the Rays. Oh well, he basically fills the grit and heart role of a Sam Fuld only he has some talent.

Evidently they're trying to sign him to a multi year deal which makes some sense if it lowers his salary this year.

The problem with Lynn is that he's very inconsistent, and he's kinda like Jaime Garcia when an error is made behind him or he's not hitting his spot he kinda loses it and the game snowballs on them. It seems that mentally it's still not there for both, but it happens less with Jaime and he's got better stuff. Plus Lynn has had bad stretches for 2 straight years don't necessarily want a pitcher who goes through that often. Not saying Shelby's the best, but I'll take him over Lynn and the Cards have quite a few other pitchers that I'd like to see start over Lynn

Healthy Hymay is very good but I'd consider anything productive from him to be a bonus at this point. Shoulder issues are tough to come back from for pitchers. So I wouldn't trade away healthy pitchers because he might be an asset in 2014.

And just because Lynn is probably worse than Wainwright/Shelby/Wacha/Martinez? going forward (and it's not a given since Lynn is a more known quantity than 3/4ths of that group) doesn't mean the Cards should trade him to clear the logjam. I mean, if the right deal comes along, I'm not going be unhappy that Lynn gets traded but I certainly hope we get good value for him. Relatively cheap guys with above average peripherals don't grow on trees. I still feel he's a solid #3 pitcher on a contending team. If he's the 4th or 5th best starter in your rotation, you're in pretty good shape.

It's hard to gauge the true trade value of a player without inside info but if the returns are relatively equal, Kelly should be traded before Lynn. Better peripherals - also, inconsistency is not always a bad thing: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/finding-value-in-pitcher-inconsistency/

But if all our young pitchers pan out, it's a good problem to have. The nightmare scenario is that the guy(s) we trade away become great players while the ones we keep turn into duds.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
John Sickels is taking a long time to recover from his concussion. I keep checking everyday for a new article from him, but nothing. And he's just a writer; don't know how athletes deal with an injury like that.

The Braves and Indians announced they will make 1-year, $14.1 million qualifying offers to Brian McCann and Ubaldo Jimenez, respectively.

EDIT: Royals will make one to Ervin Santana.

3N16MA

Banned
MLBTR predicts Santana to the Yankees and 5/75. Yanks need to stay away as he is way too unpredictable and really not that great to give up a pick and $75M.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If someone gives Santana that kind of money they're insane.

I'm struggling to decide what is more likely to make me ill: Joe Nathan signing with the Yankees or the Tigers. Gross.

MLBTR predicts Santana to the Yankees and 5/75. Yanks need to stay away as he is way too unpredictable and really not that great to give up a pick and $75M.

Ervin Santana in Yankee Stadium? GTFOH with that BS. Dude was saved by Kauffman Stadium and The Royals defense.

Jim Salisbury of CSN just said on the radio that Ervin Santana will get at least $20m a season and he expects multiple teams to bid on him. That seems crazy to me.

3N16MA

Banned
Jim Salisbury of CSN just said on the radio that Ervin Santana will get at least $20m a season and he expects multiple teams to bid on him. That seems crazy to me.

Was Salisbury drunk? Ervin had a nice season but it was not spectacular and he has never been able to duplicate his 08 performance.

jbug617

Banned
Sox gave QO to Drew, Napoli and Ellsbury. Salty didn't get an offer.

I'm not sure if Boras will decline the option for Drew. $14 million for 1yr is a lot

Phillies going shopping this offseason? and yea, highest non-protected draft pick.

They are signing a new TV deal as we speak. They currently get $30m a year but the new deal will be worth at least $150m a year. I definitely expect them to try and buy some offense this offseason.

jbug617

Banned
Cubs and Red Sox problem according to Rosenthal. I don't think the Red Sox would block Lovullo in the end though.

The Cubs and Red Sox reached an agreement that they would not hire each other’s employees after Theo Epstein left Boston for Chicago in Oct. 2011. That agreement remains in effect, though its exact length is not known. One published report at the time said it was three years.

How the agreement applies to Lovullo is unclear: He did not become a Red Sox employee until Oct. 2012, about a full year after Epstein’s departure. In addition, teams generally allow employees to interview for promotions. For Lovullo, the Cubs’ job certainly would qualify.

The Red Sox, however, apparently are going by the letter of the agreement, and balking at the idea of Lovullo interviewing with the Cubs. A resolution, one source said, “will come down to ownership” – meaning, a concession by Red Sox ownership, or perhaps some kind of special arrangement between the clubs.

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/..._the_holdup_on_lovullo/14968745?new_post=true

BFIB

Cards held a press conference today. Told Rosie he will be closer next year, and told Carlos Martinez to be stretched and ready to start next year.

So that means we'll have: Waino, Lynn, Garcia, Kelly, Wacha, Martinez, Miller. Someone gettin' traded.

cashman

Banned
Cards held a press conference today. Told Rosie he will be closer next year, and told Carlos Martinez to be stretched and ready to start next year.

So that means we'll have: Waino, Lynn, Garcia, Kelly, Wacha, Martinez, Miller. Someone gettin' traded.

I'll take Martinez and Adams for Profar pls

Sanjuro

Actually you have a candidate on the Sox. Lackey missed 2012 and he was horrible in 2011.

I don't think Lackey was ever healthy since coming here. His season was great, I just thought V-Mart looked the best out of players who missed a year. It was like he didn't miss a beat.

Top Bottom