• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Branduil

Posted?

E98OmDw.jpg

He probably just threw his normal stuff.

Sanjuro

It's still stupid. Review in MLB should be no different then hockey.

- Home plate umpire picks up a phone.
- The End.

Parch

Just the rare NHL goal dispute requires the phones.
MLB doesn't want to have to go to the phones for every borderline call that the managers whine about. It would happen too often.
The NFL flag method seems to work pretty good.

Sanjuro

Just the rare NHL goal dispute requires the phones.
MLB doesn't want to have to go to the phones for every borderline call that the managers whine about. It would happen too often.
The NFL flag method seems to work pretty good.

...we're not talking about the frequency they'll use the phone, notably the act. Either way, twenty phone calls should equal one trip to the back for those fat bastards.

Edwardo

Why?
I have no problem with a replay system that gets the call right. To many stupid/blind umps. Implimentation might be awkward, but it still needs to be done.

I'm fine with it helping get call right. It's just that games are long enough as it is. This will just lengthen games for another 45 minutes.

Plus, it will definitely ruin the flow of the game. I can see managers throwing the flag or beanie or whatever in the 6th or 7th inning to waste time and hurt the opposing pitcher.

zychi

Banned
...we're not talking about the frequency they'll use the phone, notably the act. Either way, twenty phone calls should equal one trip to the back for those fat bastards.

Give the home plate ump an ear piece, if he needs to "call" make some sort of gesture while walking towards the pitcher mount(so its noticeable), have whoever is on the other end of the ear piece tell him the call, boom. Super quick, super easy. No need for the stoppage of the game like NHL and NFL where the refs have to explain what's going on, run to a monitor, delay delay delay.

Parch

Earpiece makes sense.
Whatever the implimentation, something needs to be done. There is no bigger time waster than lengthy manager rants that result in nothing.

Sanjuro

Give the home plate ump an ear piece, if he needs to "call" make some sort of gesture while walking towards the pitcher mount(so its noticeable), have whoever is on the other end of the ear piece tell him the call, boom. Super quick, super easy. No need for the stoppage of the game like NHL and NFL where the refs have to explain what's going on, run to a monitor, delay delay delay.

A headpiece? Jesus. A telephone is fine. They need to have a detailed response to relay to the manager.

RingRing
Ump: I need a review.
Remote Ump: fair ball.
Ump: ask about specific rule, ballpark rule, etc.
Remote Ump: blahblahblah

Relay answer. Couldn't be simpler.

Indians had a hell of a season. Got a taste of the playoffs when no one predicted they'd get there.

One nice offseason and they can go farther. #InTitoWeTrust

Go Tribe!

zychi

Banned
A headpiece? Jesus. A telephone is fine. They need to have a detailed response to relay to the manager.

RingRing
Ump: I need a review.
Remote Ump: fair ball.
Ump: ask about specific rule, ballpark rule, etc.
Remote Ump: blahblahblah

Relay answer. Couldn't be simpler.

not a headpiece, just a tiny thing he wears in his ear all game, like a studio analyst does. not like those big ass headsets nfl coaches wear

clemenx

Banned
I don't mind about the flags much but this only 1 flag in first 6 inning is the most bullshit thing ever. All 27 outs count the same.

Parch

I don't mind about the flags much but this only 1 flag in first 6 inning is the most bullshit thing ever. All 27 outs count the same.
The NFL had the same arguments. Same for the challenges in tennis. If you don't put a number on it then it gets abused by those who are hoping to get a call instead of questioning legit claims.

Better to restrict challenges for when it's important in the game. And I would argue that all outs are not the same. The out when the bases are loaded in the 9th in a tie game is a lot more important than nobody on in the first.

Agreed that's my problem. Make it three for the whole game.
What you guys think of what a manager said, each team sponsor a minor leaguer whose career is pretty much over and have him trained as an ump.

RGVNOE

Rumor is that the Cards shut down Shelby Miller to keep him healthy as a potential trade prospect, possibly for some shortstop out of Texas. Maybe Jurickson Profar? Not sure how fair that trade would be straight up, I don't know much about Profar.

I hope not, if anyone should be traded away it's Lynn. Shelby was good as a rookie and ideally he should get better, I feel like Lynn already peaked and he's very inconsistent I don't see him getting any better. If they're going to make a trade though I'd love to see a big impact player coming over(Tulo maybe?).

aFIGurANT

I hope not, if anyone should be traded away it's Lynn. Shelby was good as a rookie and ideally he should get better, I feel like Lynn already peaked and he's very inconsistent I don't see him getting any better. If they're going to make a trade though I'd love to see a big impact player coming over(Tulo maybe?).

Lynn doesn't net you Profar I don't think. I agree that trading Shelby is probably setting yourself up for regrets too. Ideally the Rangers would take Lynn and Freese for him and we could call it a good offseason. But we'll see in a couple months I guess. I hope the hot stove is good this year, last year was pretty weak.

Tulo isn't going anywhere according to the Colorado brass.

RGVNOE

Lynn doesn't net you Profar I don't think. I agree that trading Shelby is probably setting yourself up for regrets too. Ideally the Rangers would take Lynn and Freese for him and we could call it a good offseason. But we'll see in a couple months I guess. I hope the hot stove is good this year, last year was pretty weak.

Tulo isn't going anywhere according to the Colorado brass.

Yea I know it would take quite a bit for Tulo and I doubt the Cards make a trade for him, but thats someone that I would love to see them go after with all the FA leaving this offseason they quite a bit of money to do so, but again I doubt they'll do that. I would love to see Lynn go, but it sounds like they value him too much to let him go, I dont even see them going after Profar, I just hope if they do make a move for a SS it's one that can hit a bit, don't wanna be stuck with Koz, Descalso type combo again.

newjeruse

31-year old David Freese? Why would the Rangers want him? Especially considering their best position player is a third basemen.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fangraphs on 2014 payroll:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-new-national-tv-contracts-and-2014-payrolls/

That’s $1.5 billion in national TV revenue per season that will go into MLB’s Central Fund, or $750 million more than under the contracts that just expired. MLB can spend money from the Central Fund in a variety of ways, but it’s been assumed in the reporting that the league will distribute the TV money to the teams. If so, each team will receive $25 million more in national TV revenue in 2014 through 2021 than they did in 2013.

Teams aren’t obligated, of course, to use all or even part of that additional $25 million on player salaries.
That money can also be helpful to expanding a team’s national and international scouting operation, or its data analysis department, or marketing, or all three. But some teams appear to have made payroll commitments for 2014 — and beyond — knowing an additional $25 million was coming their way.

The chart below lists each team and their 2012 and 2013 Opening Day payrolls, as reported by Cot’s Contracts. The final column is labeled “2014 Payroll Obligations.” I calculated this number using several different sources: (1) Cot’s 2014 payroll numbers for players under contracts; (2) trades made since the start of the 2013 season; (3) contract extensions since the start of the 2013 season (aka Hunter Pence and Tim Lincecum); (4) options exercised or declined since the start of the 2013 season; and (5) Matt Swartz’s projected salaries for arbitration-eligible players, as reported on MLB Trade Rumors.

The 2014 number, therefore, is an estimate. For some teams, the estimate is rougher than others. We don’t know if teams will tender a contract to every arbitration-eligible player currently on their roster. We don’t know what the final salaries for those arbitration-eligible players will be.

We also don’t know how many minimum-salary players each team will have. I assumed the Astros would have 22 minimum-salary players, because otherwise their 2014 payroll would have been $5 million, for Jason Castro, Jose Altuve, and Trevor Crowe. But for most teams, I didn’t account for three, four or five players at close to $500,000.

Code:
Team 		2012 Payroll 	2013 Payroll 	2014 Payroll Obligations
Astros 		$60,800,000 	$26,000,000 	$14,400,000
Marlins 	$100,000,000 	$50,000,000 	$21,700,000
Mariners 	$84,000,000 	$84,000,000 	$37,800,000
Rays 		$63,000,000 	$61,000,000 	$43,600,000
Twins 		$100,000,000 	$82,000,000 	$50,800,000
Cubs 		$109,000,000 	$106,000,000 	$58,000,000
Pirates 	$51,000,000 	$66,000,000 	$58,700,000
Mets 		$94,000,000 	$93,000,000 	$62,100,000
Padres 		$55,000,000 	$68,000,000 	$64,100,000
Athletics 	$53,000,000 	$62,000,000 	$65,900,000
White Sox 	$97,700,000 	$119,000,000 	$68,300,000
Indians 	$65,000,000 	$80,000,000 	$69,400,000
Rockies 	$81,000,000 	$73,000,000 	$72,000,000
Cardinals 	$111,000,000 	$116,000,000 	$76,000,000
Royals 		$64,000,000 	$81,800,000 	$79,500,000
Braves 		$93,000,000 	$90,000,000 	$80,400,000
Brewers 	$98,000,000 	$88,000,000 	$81,500,000
Orioles 	$84,000,000 	$92,000,000 	$88,100,000
D’Backs 	$75,000,000 	$86,000,000 	$94,000,000
Rangers 	$120,000,000 	$125,000,000 	$98,300,000
Reds 		$87,000,000 	$106,000,000 	$107,500,000
Red Sox 	$175,300,000 	$154,000,000 	$115,000,000
Nationals 	$92,000,000 	$118,000,000 	$117,000,000
Blue Jays 	$83,000,000 	$119,000,000 	$121,200,000
Phillies 	$172,000,000 	$159,000,000 	$121,800,000
Giants 		$131,000,000 	$136,000,000 	$127,500,000
Yankees 	$209,000,000 	$228,000,000 	$128,200,000
Tigers 		$133,000,000 	$148,000,000 	$134,000,000
Angels 		$151,000,000 	$137,000,000 	$151,500,000
Dodgers 	$105,000,000 	$216,000,000 	$195,300,000

The Astros, Marlins, Mariners, Twins and Cubs head into this offseason with tremendous financial flexibility — at least as compared to their player payrolls in 2012 and 2013. The new television money will provide a cushion for these teams as they continue their rebuilding plans. The Rays, too, look to have wiggle room, even if they don’t trade David Price. (The TV money could keep Price on the Tropicana Field mound until he becomes a free agent.)

On the other end, we find the Dodgers, which don’t seem to care much about budgets. There’s also the New York Yankees, which claim to be pushing to get under the $189 million luxury tax threshhold. The extra national TV money will be nice, but the cash likely is irrelevant to their plans.

Among bigger-spending teams, the Cardinals, White Sox, Rangers, Red Sox, Mets and Phillies have shed tens of millions off their 2013 payrolls, with trades or players leaving in free agency. How much these teams use the new TV money on free-agent signings or trades for expensive players remains to be seen.

The Indians sit in an interesting position. Cleveland made several splashes in the free-agent market last winter, signing Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn to four-year contracts. Both of those deals are backloaded to some extent, with the first-year payments the lowest of the four. Those contracts suggest the Indians were doing some early planning for the additional $25 million. Now that the Tribe has non-tendered Chris Perez and is said to be ready to walk away from Ubaldo Jimenez, they’ll have payroll flexibility even with the bigger paychecks owed to Bourn and Swisher.

The remaining teams — whether small-market or big-market — appear to have already made at least some plans for the additional $25 million they’ll receive this season. I say this based on the teams’ 2014 obligations, as compared to their 2012 and 2013 Opening Day payrolls.

For example, the Giants’ new contracts with Hunter Pence and Tim Lincecum bring them close to last year’s payroll — and they still need two starters, a left fielder and upgrades to the bench and to the bullpen. The Angels head into the offseason with $14 million more in salary commitments than they had to start 2013, thanks mostly to Josh Hamilton‘s backloaded contract. And the Halos need pitching in the worst way, prompting rumors that they’ll trade Mark Trumbo or Peter Bourjos or both to get some quality arms. The Reds, too, are ahead of where they were to begin 2013, thanks to Joey Votto‘s and Brandon Phillips‘ contracts. Again, it’s not surprising there are rumors the Reds might try to trade Phillips. Cincinnati has several holes to fill, the biggest of which is the rotation spot previously held by Bronson Arroyo, who now is a free agent.

3N16MA

Banned

Lynn probably had a better rookie season than Miler.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Peter Gammons - Dodgers’ strategy to acquire Price and Tanaka:

But, suggests several general managers, the Dodgers can avoid the loss of their number one pick and the slot money if they trade for David Price and get Masahiro Tanaka from Japan. “They have the minor league talent to get Price,” says one GM. “If they would trade Corey Seager and Julio Urias (the 17-year old lefthanded pitcher) and a couple out of Zach Lee, Joc Pederson or Chris Withrow, it would get it done. Then if they post $80M for Tanaka, they could have a rotation with four number ones and a number two with Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Price, Tanaka and Hyun-Jin Ryu. But if they were to trade for Price, they’d need the draft pick to fill holes in their development system.”

Lynn was in the pen his rookie year and even then with his lowest era it was higher than Shelby's this year
No, he's right. 2012 Lynn had better overall stats than 2013 Miller. The "Lynn is a headcase" narrative is overblown at this point. He's inconsistent but still a good pitcher if you believe in peripherals.

Miller still has higher trade value obviously due to age, team control, and more prospect hype.

aFIGurANT

31-year old David Freese? Why would the Rangers want him? Especially considering their best position player is a third basemen.

You're right and my head would be full of fuck seeing freese in any role as a Ranger. I didn't realize it when I posted last night but yeah it makes little to no sense. I was just echoing the BFIB's general consensus that Freese and Lynn can go away now however bittersweet the parting may be.

3N16MA

Banned
Lynn was in the pen his rookie year and even then with his lowest era it was higher than Shelby's this year

Technically you're right as Lynn was not eligible in 2012 however the comparison I was making was his first season as a starter. The only reason 2011 is considered his rookie season is because he was on the roster too long not his innings pitched.

Lynn 2012 as a starter:

9.27 K/9, 3.30 BB/9, 0.80 HR/9, 3.47 FIP, 3.57 xFIP

Miller 2013 as a starter:

8.78 K/9, 2.96 BB/9, 1.04 HR/9, 3.67 FIP, 3.73 xFIP

rWAR gives the advantage to Miller and fWAR to Lynn.

BFIB

Peter Gammons is a crazy man. There is no way in hell we're getting rid of all those prospects.
I don't think the Dodgers care about unloading the farm system. They want to win, and landing Price goes a long way.

I want a 3 way trade with Tampa Bay, Texas, and the Cards that gets the Cards Profar, and Texas lands Price while Tampa loads up on prospects.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bleh to the Dodgers. Not sure where this they have the prospects thing comes from, I guess if they dump 5 or 6 guys it could happen. Maybe they can throw in Puig while they're at it.

I don't think the Dodgers care about unloading the farm system. They want to win, and landing Price goes a long way.
Price isn't worth giving up all those prospects, especially Seager. I'd rather they keep doing all they can to rebuild the farm system and put their efforts into grabbing Tanaka using our deep pockets.
the dodgers are still paying off manny ramirez and andruw jones? goddamn
When do they come off the books?

Edwardo

Unfortunately, it looks like our beloved Jerry Remy will be sitting out the broadcast booth for the Red Sox in the 2014 season.

edit: wrong article. gonna look for the right one..

here's the site. I guess it's just an Angels blog, but is untrue.

A woman who works with Jerry Remy then posted on the Don Orsillo & Jerry Remy Fan Club page on facebook:

A message about the Halo History article about Jerry: As many of you know, I have worked for Jerry since 2003 & know him personally. This blog piece was written over 2 weeks ago and I am guessing they MEANT to say he would not be returning UNTIL the 2014 season. If Jerry isn't coming back - I will know before the press does, and I can tell you that it is NOT true. He will be back in 2014 and we will welcome him back with open arms. :) Thanks!

So hopefully it is untrue and we get to see him back in the booth next year!

Sanjuro

Unfortunately, it looks like our beloved Jerry Remy will be sitting out the broadcast booth for the Red Sox in the 2014 season.

edit: wrong article. gonna look for the right one..

here's the site. I guess it's just an Angels blog, but is untrue.

A woman who works with Jerry Remy then posted on the Don Orsillo & Jerry Remy Fan Club page on facebook:

So hopefully it is untrue and we get to see him back in the booth next year!

I would smash something if I had an entire season with Eck.

Top Bottom