• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Don't the Mariners have much bigger concerns than signing 1 player, like building an actual team? They only have like 6-7 guys signed for next season.

What are they gonna do fill the roster with their AAA team? What about resigning Smoak or anyone else?

Sanjuro

Even so... the US artist with the most number 1 Billboard charted albums second only to the Beatles is why he relevant...

I don't like his music like that but his impact can't be denied

Hopefully for KD and Cano's sake he is a better agent than Master p

I was joking about his relevancy based upon my own experience. I don't even dislike his music from the songs mentioned here, I just don't hear about him much other than the sports world.

3N16MA

Banned
Don't the Mariners have much bigger concerns than signing 1 player, like building an actual team? They only have like 6-7 guys signed for next season.

What are they gonna do fill the roster with their AAA team? What about resigning Smoak or anyone else?

They have a pitching staff but no offense. Nintendo is sending over 3DS money to fund a new offense.

Sanjuro

It's true that there are fewer deals to be had these days. All big FA are going to get more than they're worth. However even $120M should have been enough to snag Ellsbury unless Seattle went all batshit crazy and offered him some ridiculous 9 year deal which drove up his price. At that point I say have him.

Probably.

I think the Yankees saw my arguments with jman about Tacoby vs. Granderson from a few years ago and just wanted to prove even further that I bested the debate!

Macattk15

They have way more than 6-7 signed for 2014.

Felix, Iwakuma, Brad Miller, Nick Franklin, Michael Saunders, Mike Zunino, James Paxton, Taijuan Walker, Dustin Ackley, Justin Smoak, Kyle Seager, Erasmo Ramirez, Tom Wilhelmsen, Danny Farquhar, Yoervis Medina, Carter Capps

Those are just players off the top of my head who had playing time for the M's in 2013 who are controlled by the M's until like 2017 at least .... now could some of them be upgraded? Sure.

If they sign Cano ... you can fully expect Nick Franklin / Ackley to be traded for another outfielder.

They are a pretty young team ... with a bevy of pitching prospects on the way.

The only infielders the Mariners have is Dustin Ackley and Willie Bloomquist. Do they even have an outfield or did Endy Chavez sign with them.

I would laugh if they were forced to resign Ibanez again. Good times, good times.

edit: hrmmmm where you getting your contract info from? my bad they got some guys, I'm seeing that Smoak and Seager are free agents though, they got Kendrys Morales at DH.

Macattk15

The only infielders the Mariners have is Dustin Ackley and Willie Bloomquist. Do they even have an outfield or did Endy Chavez sign with them.

I would laugh if they were forced to resign Ibanez again. Good times, good times.

edit: hrmmmm where you getting your contract info from? my bad they got some guys, I'm seeing that Smoak and Seager are free agents though, they got Kendrys Morales at DH.

??

Kendry Morales is currently a Free Agent.

Smoak is a FA in 2017. Seager is a FA in 2018.

Seager Service Time (01/2014): 2.085, Arb Eligible: 2015, Free Agent: 2018 [*],

Smoak Service Time (01/2014): 3.113, Arb Eligible: 2014, Free Agent: 2017 [*], Agents: Dustin Bledsoe [*]

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

They're not signed to contracts but they're not free agents. They're Mariners property.

Macattk15

Mariners "about to" offer 225/9.

Oh man. I don't even know.

I hope you age offensively like Raul Ibanez or something Cano ...

They're not signed to contracts but they're not free agents. They're Mariners property.

And yeah my bad ... most of the M's players are their property at this point. That's better than contracts!

Macattk15

Jay Z is also in Seattle.

Well then. That shits as good as done ...

giphy.gif

Sanjuro

JayZ gets Cano signed in Seattle.

Relaxes. Smokes a joint. Lays back. Then he blows his fucking brains out...

We then learn that Beyonce is a Courtney Love.

Cano is then haunted. Bats Andruw Jones level. Re-signs with the Yankees for 1-500k. Mariners Bobby Bonilla that shit.

Macattk15

Being told that Cano has talked with Felix Hernandez over the phone about Seattle and the organization

— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) December 5, 2013

Thanks Felix!

Sanjuro

Being told that Cano has talked with Felix Hernandez over the phone about Seattle and the organization

— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) December 5, 2013

Thanks Felix!

Felix: Hello?

Cano: Hey.

Felix: Who is this?

Cano: Hey, man...

Felix:??

Cano: Did you know...you're a fucking cat?

Felix: Are you fucking high?

Cano: Wanna watch 300?

Felix: Oh, Robinson!

jbug617

Banned
The backup plan I guess

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Mariners in agreement with Rafael Furcal on a one-year deal, pending a physical. Plan is for Furcal to be everyday second baseman.

EDIT: He meant Marlins

Sanjuro

Right because they are no longer considered one. Off season over yet but the mariners are one of the lowest winning teams in the AL. Can't say that about the Yankees now, can you?

Cano is more valuable to the Mariners in that division than to the Yankees.

I still think he should go to the Yankees...or play 3rd/1st for the Red Sox.

The backup plan I guess

lololololol

Paches

Ken Rosenthal ✔ @Ken_Rosenthal
Follow
Sources: #Mariners in agreement with Rafael Furcal on a one-year deal, pending a physical. Plan is for Furcal to be everyday second baseman.

The fuck?

Edit:

lol, he meant Marlins. What a clown.

It seems the new Marlins GM is at least acting like he gives a shit about the team. Furcal and Saltamacchia are significant upgrades compared to Donovan Solano and the Rob Brantly/Jeff Mathis platoon.

In 2013, the Marlins got a total of -0.6fWAR out of the 2B position. Solano and Derek Dietrich were right at replacement level with 0.0 fWAR while Chris Valaika managed a -0.6 fWAR in just 22 games. The Marlins nearly lost a full two games at the catcher position alone, getting a -1.9 fWAR combined from Mathis (-0.5), Brantly (-1.3), Miguel Olivo (-0.1), Koyie Hill (-0.5), and Kyle Skipworth (0.0).

Salty was a 3.6 fWAR player so that's almost 6 wins the Marlins are getting compared to 2013 in one player alone. Furcal in 2012 was an 0.8 fWAR so he's a serviceable replacement at 2B, good for almost 2 wins of improvement.

Top Bottom