• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Hey...a twitter nobody making guesstimates in payroll!

Jon Heyman is a nobody?

koCxPi2.gif

Sanjuro

Dude was in a Contract year and he slowed his ass to first after every hit.

I want a sabermetric stat that shows laziness

Cano is practically a DH, so not surprised.

Shit. I forgot. Weekend_Warrior said he was the best defensive 2B in the game!

So you're not Kate Hudson. Got it.

Time to read through that thread.

I'm better than Kate Hudson. I predict WS victories and I'm not straight to video.

Macattk15

Jon Heyman looks like the BIGGEST dork holding that bat in his twitter background.

Doubt the dude ever played baseball.

jon-heyman-header.jpg

Like wtf is this? Are you holding a samurai sword or something?

3N16MA

Banned
I'm all for the Yankees drawing a line and saying no to massive contracts for guys in their 30's. However that way of thinking needs to extend to all contract negotiations and not just Cano.

This is what makes the Ellsbury signing confusing if the Yanks hold steady at around 170M for Cano. Why bend over backwards for Ellsbury and give him a massive contract that seems no one else was willing to match other than perhaps the Mariners but draw a hard line for Cano, the superior player?

Ellsbury is 30 and Cano 31, there is not a massive difference in their age. However Cano is more durable, more valuable, and actually an elite talent.

If you put your foot down on Cano then you do the same for Ellsbury. You let him walk once the price becomes too high. You don't splurge on the lesser talent.

Now if the Yanks offer 8/200M and Cano still walks I can say they used somewhat the same strategy for both players.

1: 5.4
2: 4.9
3: 4.4
4: 3.9
5: 3.4
6: 2.9
7: 2.4
8: 1.9

That would be worth $175M over 8 years if Cano hits Steamer's projection next season and loses .5 WAR per season over 8 years.

Why give Ellsbury 153M over 7 yet refuse to go higher than 175M on Cano? Even if he does not hit these projections 25 WAR over 8 years (0.6 drop) that is still worth $150M.
Use a strategy and stick with it.

Dude was in a Contract year and he slowed his ass to first after every hit.

I want a sabermetric stat that shows laziness

Well his infield hit % was 3.9% last year, which is right on his career average of 4.0%.

His career low was 2.7% in 2006 and his career high was 5.0% in 2012.

wouldnt want to losse cano. He was consistant if anything last year. 5/6 year deal would be fine. think they want to avoid another A-ro like contract

3N16MA

Banned
If Cano leaves this is looking more likely:

C: McCann
1B: Teixera
2B: Infante
SS: Jeter
3B: Reynolds/Johnson?
LF: Gardner
CF: Ellsbury
RF: Choo
DH: Sorinao

lucius

I think Yankees would match 185/7 years for Cano, I think he is definitely getting over 200 million if he going to Mariners unless he is stupid, it would probably even have to be closer to 225 contract which Mariners seem willing to do, Yankees should make one last offer close to 200 and just move on after he brings up that Mariners are still offering more.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I think Yankees would match 185/7 years for Cano, I think he is definitely getting over 200 million if he going to Mariners unless he is stupid, it would probably even have to be closer to 225 contract which Mariners seem willing to do, Yankees should make one last offer close to 200 and just move on after he brings up that Mariners are still offering more.

Don't think the Ms go over what they offered

Blackace

225 / 9 is a very rich deal

If he wants to take 20 to 30 less to play for the yanks so be it

3N16MA

Banned
225 / 9 is a very rich deal

If he wants to take 20 to 30 less to play for the yanks so be it

It's a big contract but really as a Mariners fan you have to be happy your team is trying to do something. It seems they have to overpay to get big names to play there and they are willing to do it twice (Ellsbury/Cano). Trade for Kemp, get another bat or two to go along with Seager, and you have something going.

Obviously that is a lot to do but if the Mariners are going to alter the team they might as well go all in.

Blackace

It's a big contract but really as a Mariners fan you have to be happy your team is trying to do something. It seems they have to overpay to get big names to play there and they are willing to do it twice (Ellsbury/Cano). Trade for Kemp, get another bat or two to go along with Seager, and you have something going.

Obviously that is a lot to do but if the Mariners are going to alter the team they might as well go all in.

Just saying you already gave him more than anybody would and if he signed with the Yanks for that much less I would be happy if the Ms were aiight fuck em then

Instead trying to tack 10 mill more

Macattk15

Seager and I also think Miller will be pretty damn good for a SS for us.

They could probably resign Morales to be a DH also.

A little surprised Jacoby went to the Yanks, but I never expected him to stick with the sox. Happy the sox set him up for such a big pay day, and here's hoping that he spends most of the time on the DL.
Yeah. He's not the worst traitor, that'll probably always be Roger Clemens for me, but this is bad... :( I knew we were probably going to lose him, but why did it have to be the Yankees?

The Mariners have officially made a 9-year, $225 million offer to Robinson Cano. Cano is now waiting to see if the Yankees will increase their offer from the reported 7-year, $175 million deal they offered a few days ago.

Shouldn't Mariners fans be mad that a team with a bunch of holes in its roster and a lame duck GM are about to offer a franchise crippling contract to a guy with maybe 2 good years left?

Seems like the only way this could be worse is if they also make that awful David Price trade.

I get that they gotta overpay or be careful but these seem like the kind of moves a Mariners fan might not end up liking. I'm glad I'm not a Mariners fan.

Top Bottom