• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It's hilarious that Mariners fans are actually happy about that. So desperate for someone to sign they actually like giving a 31 year old 230-240 over 10 years.

Not pleased with it being 10 years at all.. rather it be 185 for 7 or so..

Blackace

jayz should never wear a yankee hat anymore if cano signs with mariners!

Jaylol.gif

Shit, I made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can

Rommel

As a Mariners fan I'm to the point I don't care about the cost anymore. It's not my money and with a payroll in the mid 40's so far this year they have money to burn. Lets get this offseason started. Anything better than WFB

Zep

Banned
I'd be happy for Seattle if they do it. Then get themselves involved in the Choo sweepstakes and we'd have a nice battle in the AL West. Something has to change. They have been simply the worst team in baseball to watch when Felix isn't pitching.

Macattk15

This could be the "panic" move that people were talking about last night.

Give this deal 3-4 years and I might be regretting it ... but fuck it if it happens, I'm all for it.

You non-Mariner game watching fans have no idea the shit we've put up with the last decade.

I'm sure he has sold a shit ton. I just can't think of a single song that he has done off the top of my head.

Well, there's a pretty famous one about New York. And another one about how "a bitch" isn't one of his problems, although he does unfortunately have 99 other problems.

Sanjuro

Well, there's a pretty famous one about New York. And another one about how "a bitch" isn't one of his problems, although he does unfortunately have 99 other problems.

I wouldn't have pegged him to having done either of those songs. The New York one I thought was some girl singing about a "Wet Dream Tomato".

Macattk15

Maybe Cano would sign the massive deal and then want to bail in 3 years like A-Rod did with Texas.

Then we could trade him back to the Yankees!

Blackace

Yeah. I recognized the two songs mentioned prior, but never would have guessed him in a million years. I'm good at pop culture trivia, fear the music questions.

More recently

Empire State of Mind

And

Ninjas in Paris

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: Cano asked #Mariners for 240/10. M’s made offer, but not over 200. Cano on plane to Seattle. Meeting with club officials later.

Blackace

Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: Cano asked #Mariners for 240/10. M’s made offer, but not over 200. Cano on plane to Seattle. Meeting with club officials later.

185 /7 please

Give him what he wants per year but at 7 years

Macattk15

Ken_Rosenthal

Well the fact he is going out there personally is encouraging.

Maybe they'll end up getting him for like 200-210/10.

That'd be cooler than 230-240.

I do like the 185/7 that Blackace said above though.

Blackace

Nope. I thought that was Sisqo or whatever that guy was.

Don't know either of those.

NiP was like the NBA all-star theme song

Apparently you aren't as good at pop trivia as you thought

Sanjuro

NiP was like the NBA all-star theme song

Apparently you aren't as good at pop trivia as you thought

I'm great at it. Usually always place first-third! I'm just not a fan of music, modern music fucks with me especially. I hear a good portion of these songs, but I never put a person to them.

Zep

Banned
Well the fact he is going out there personally is encouraging.

Maybe they'll end up getting him for like 200-210/10.

That'd be cooler than 230-240.

I do like the 185/7 that Blackace said above though.

He's going out there to make the Yankees sweat. No chance you get him offering under 200 mil.

3N16MA

Banned
Francessa hates the Ellsbury signing.

So do I but not for the reasons he does. I think Ellsbury can earn his contract for a few years.

1: 3.9
2: 3.4
3: 2.9
4: 2.4

1 WAR worth about $6M which means 75.6M value out of Ellsbury in the first 4 years while paying him $87.6M. It's an overpay but nothing drastic.

Now the last 3 years looks bad.

5: 1.9
6: 1.4
7: 1.1

$17.5M value for $65.7M.

Ellsbury is worth about a $100M contract and 110 as an overpay. $153 is a really big overpay which I don't like. I like what he can do for a few years but the contract is just too long and too much money. I used a simple .5 WAR decline per year and Steamer's projections.

Makes the lineup better and his D is excellent. I hope he does better than that projection and tears it up in pinstripes.

Blackace

I'm great at it. Usually always place first-third! I'm just not a fan of music, modern music fucks with me especially. I hear a good portion of these songs, but I never put a person to them.

You do understand what pop means right?

Prohint it doesn't mean old

Sanjuro

People get too caught up in the numbers. I'm still by the mindset a player is worth whatever a team is willing to go.

Either way, every opinion is hypocritical because you have years of debate. Unless the player is a cancer or broken, you are regularly going to have to pay for garbage years. Even if a player is playing at All-Star caliber for 6/7 years, injured for one, it's not a great contract.

Blackace

...yes I know what pop means. I've already stated I'm good at it sans music, and even then I can still get by fairly well with assistance.

Pop trivia isn't just music.

Even so... the best charted US artist with the most number 1 Billboard charted albums second only to the Beatles is why he relevant...

I don't like his music like that but his impact can't be denied

Hopefully for KD and Cano's sake he is a better agent than Master p

3N16MA

Banned
People get too caught up in the numbers. I'm still by the mindset a player is worth whatever a team is willing to go.

Either way, every opinion is hypocritical because you have years of debate. Unless the player is a cancer or broken, you are regularly going to have to pay for garbage years. Even if a player is playing at All-Star caliber for 6/7 years, injured for one, it's not a great contract.

It's true that there are fewer deals to be had these days. All big FA are going to get more than they're worth. However even $120M should have been enough to snag Ellsbury unless Seattle went all batshit crazy and offered him some ridiculous 9 year deal which drove up his price. At that point I say have him.

Top Bottom