• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

RBH

I thought this was pretty interesting. This company showed off all of the marketing tools and ideas that they had to promote the Oakland A's during the 2004 season:

http://www.brandtank.com/MLB-Oakland-A-s

A-s_Brand%20Boards_4_750.jpg

A-s_newsppr1_B_27_750.jpg

27.A-s_Ticket_Truck%20copy_750.jpg

To promote attendance, the refurbished ice cream truck traveled the neighborhood on the day before game day to give away a select number of tickets. The speaker (cone) at the top plays "Take Me Out to the Ball Game".

BFIB

Yankees agree on a one year deal with Brian Roberts. Not a bad insurance policy for backup, depending on his health.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
even if he stays on the field, i dont think you know just how bad uggla is.

uggla also makes like 13 million a season.
Are you serious? You don't think I'm aware? Why do you think I'm constantly talking about him and trying to get rid of him?

Cross posting from MLS-Gaf, the Royals put this billboard up. Warms me heart.

BbekxVDIMAA4K8Y.jpg:large

Also, Omar's press conference is over. Between him and Nori, I'm so ready for 2014. One more starter and the Royals are playoff bound (if they're not already).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This article warms my heart.

By Wins Above Replacement, Cano was the Yankees' best player in 2013 (7.6 bWAR), and in 2012 (8.5), and also in 2010 (8.2). In fact, over the past four years, Robinson Cano has been the best player in baseball:

But hey they got Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson!

Branduil

By Wins Above Replacement, Cano was the Yankees' best player in 2013 (7.6 bWAR), and in 2012 (8.5), and also in 2010 (8.2). In fact, over the past four years, Robinson Cano has been the best player in baseball:

But hey they got Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson!

Now, when Rodriguez misses time, Johnson or Nunez will likely fill in at third. Jeter will return for one more year at shortstop, and aside from turning 40, missing almost all of last season with an ankle injury, and playing poor defense for the last decade, this should go great. (On days when Johnson plays second base, he and Jeter will form one of the worst defensive middle infields you'll ever see on a putative contender.)

Delightful.

that article is nothing new, Yankess way was never sustainable. Stienbreenner alawys valued wining now than later.

no secret that farm system was a joke. jeter and cano are the only standouts

Also didn twant to commit 10 years to Cano/ probably thought they had no competition.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
that article is nothing new, Yankess way was never sustainable. Stienbreenner alawys valued wining now than later.

Also didn twant to commit 10 years to Cano/ probably thought they had no competition.

I think its news to Yankees fans who actually think their team is better now than it was last year when they were also irrelevant.

You can only hang your hat on Yankee doldrums for so long.

They'll be back. They always come back.

...unless they become owned entirely by News Corp. Then, maybe it'll be okay if they stay down.

BFIB

As long as the Yankees want to overspend, thats fine by me. One World Series in the past decade, and how much money was spent?

Still don't blame them for passing on Cano. Probably the best baseball minded decision they've made in a long time.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
As long as the Yankees want to overspend, thats fine by me. One World Series in the past decade, and how much money was spent?

Still don't blame them for passing on Cano. Probably the best baseball minded decision they've made in a long time.

Letting one of the best players in baseball walk when you're the Yankees is a terrible baseball minded decision.

Who is their 2B this year? Who is the long term answer for the next 5 years?

They replaced Cano with an oft injured outfielder with zero power and a pretty overrated catcher.

BFIB

Letting one of the best players in baseball walk when you're the Yankees is a terrible baseball minded decision.

Who is their 2B this year? Who is the long term answer for the next 5 years?

They replaced Cano with an oft injured outfielder with zero power and a pretty overrated catcher.

Yankees need to get over their "we don't negotiate until the offseason" mantra. Should have had Cano locked up a few years ago.

After the A-Rod fiasco, it would have been extremely bad for the Yankees to hand out yet another 10 year deal to a player over 30. They're gun-shy, and they have every right to be.

Its an oversight for an overrated GM in Cashman that he has a team that has the riches that every other club is envious of, yet still manages to find himself cornered with mediocre pitching, and major gaps at positions.

CygnusXS

Yankees need to get over their "we don't negotiate until the offseason" mantra. Should have had Cano locked up a few years ago.

After the A-Rod fiasco, it would have been extremely bad for the Yankees to hand out yet another 10 year deal to a player over 30. They're gun-shy, and they have every right to be.

Its an oversight for an overrated GM in Cashman that he has a team that has the riches that every other club is envious of, yet still manages to find himself cornered with mediocre pitching, and major gaps at positions.
I think you're under estimating the influence of their ownership.

aFIGurANT

The Yankees are really handicapped by the few aging players who are still under contract for years to come. Adding a guy who would put them in the same boat in six or seven years (Cano) creates the kind of situation where you get burned twice and look stupid. Thus I think opting out of a ten year contract seems rational if not immediately popular.

I predict the Yankees will strike hard next year and replace Jeter with one of the great SSs who will becoming FA (Hardy, HanRam, others) and probably do the same for 2B just as soon. They need pitching now though so it's all irrelevant until they get some inning-eaters.

Caja 117

The Yankees are really handicapped by the few aging players who are still under contract for years to come. Adding a guy who would put them in the same boat in six or seven years (Cano) creates the kind of situation where you get burned twice and look stupid. Thus I think opting out of a ten year contract seems rational if not immediately popular.

I predict the Yankees will strike hard next year and replace Jeter with one of the great SSs who will becoming FA (Hardy, HanRam, others) and probably do the same for 2B just as soon. They need pitching now though so it's all irrelevant until they get some inning-eaters.

That would had made sense if they hadnt given a contract to Elsbury....6 years from now they will be going on the same dilema with him.

And whats the difference in giving Beltran 3 years contract at age 37 and Cano last 3 years of his 10 year contract? At the end of their respective contracts Cano is going to be one year older.

aFIGurANT

^^ Good point on Ellsbury but the fact is the more time you have a guy signed to be your guy, the more likely it is that something is going to happen, day by day. That's why Ellsbury doesn't make total sense given his history. But Beltran for 3? He has shown nothing but good things for two years and thus three more doesn't seem like a bridge too far.

Basically age is big but you mitigate that by picking up the guy who has lots of potential on a shorter deal. We'll see if Beltran breaks down but I feel like he's much easier to manage going forward than Cano with the DH. And Ells and Gardner can share duties for a long while yet, too.

Caja 117

^^ Good point on Ellsbury but the fact is the more time you have a guy signed to be your guy, the more likely it is that something is going to happen, day by day. That's why Ellsbury doesn't make total sense given his history. But Beltran for 3? He has shown nothing but good things for two years and thus three more doesn't seem like a bridge too far.

I cant agree with you point, I dont see that there should be a relation between the time you stay on your team and the durability of the player.

Putting potential Injuries aside, If the yankeess were willing to do Beltran type of contracts or Elsbury type of contract, then the 10 years for Cano was doable. I think the Yankees FO wasnt expecting any team to outbid them, thats what probably happened, it is not the first time its happened to them.

aFIGurANT

I cant agree with you point, I dont see that there should be a relation between the time you stay on your team and the durability of the player.

Putting potential Injuries aside, If the yankeess were willing to do Beltran type of contracts or Elsbury type of contract, then the 10 years for Cano was doable. I think the Yankees FO wasnt expecting any team to outbid them, thats what probably happened, it is not the first time its happened to them.

Well all I think I'm trying to say is that the longer the contract, the more often the FO is rolling the dice on health problems.

There are a couple factors that accelerate or decelerate the chance for injury, but making a guy play for a decade seems to be asking for it. Age at the end of your contract is only one thing. Look at Pujols and the albatross that his contract was this last season with his plantar fasciitis. The whole contract becomes much harder to manage (read: get rid of) when your player breaks down with several years to go.

That kind of scenario where you're locked into one player for a decade is just not tenable if you're honest about it. It might rarely be, but not normally.

Caja 117

Problem is that more and more you are going to see these 10 year contracts to superstars in their 31 or 32 years of age. And I see the yankees doing this; for example, if Puig keep up his pace, do you think the yankees wont take him for 10 years?

On Beltran, the real positive I see on this, is that he is a great bargain chip if the yankees see themselves out of post season picture,so they can trade for good prospects.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Phil Hughes, Brett Gardner, Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Brett Gardner, Alfonso Soriano, Berine Williams?

Shit there is more too.. Yankees have always had great homegrown talent...

CygnusXS

Apparently the Cubs wanted one of Jason Heyward or Justin Upton (plus prospects) in return for Samadjiza.

To which I say hahahahaha get out

Losing Roberts to the Yankees sucks. Not that he's got anything left, but I hate to see Orioles "greats" in pinstripes.

2 Years 14 mil for Balfour, I like. Cheaper and better than Jim Johnson.

Parch

Yankees have always had great homegrown talent...
Thanks to a broken draft system where signing bonuses were the biggest factor. The worst teams never drafted the best players because they were unsignable. The Yankees did. It had nothing to do with scouting skill, it was about the money. With the Yankees it was always about the money.

Phil Hughes, Brett Gardner, Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Brett Gardner, Alfonso Soriano, Berine Williams?

Shit there is more too.. Yankees have always had great homegrown talent...
Pettite, Posada, Jeter, Rivera all came up around the same time (which is pretty amazing, admittedly) and it's no coincidence that their late 90s championship runs occurred shortly afterwards. But in the 18 years since then, how many impact players have they developed? Can you count them all on one hand?
I don't really follow AL beisbol so maybe I'm way off base

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Pettite, Posada, Jeter, Rivera all came up around the same time (which is pretty amazing, admittedly) and it's no coincidence that their late 90s championship runs occurred shortly afterwards. But in the 18 years since then, how many impact players have they developed? Can you count them all on one hand?
I don't really follow AL beisbol so maybe I'm way off base
they trade a lot of them away.

Zep

Banned
Yea...Get Phil Hughes off that 'great homegrown talent' list. His career outside of one season has been a huge disappointment. I'd put Ian Kennedy on that list before Hughes, but neither belong on it.

Fox318

Yea...Get Phil Hughes off that 'great homegrown talent' list. His career outside of one season has been a huge disappointment. I'd put Ian Kennedy on that list before Hughes, but neither belong on it.

That was a good season.

Sure helped that he got 10+ in run support every night.

Top Bottom