• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Pettite, Posada, Jeter, Rivera all came up around the same time (which is pretty amazing, admittedly) and it's no coincidence that their late 90s championship runs occurred shortly afterwards. But in the 18 years since then, how many impact players have they developed? Can you count them all on one hand?
I don't really follow AL beisbol so maybe I'm way off base

Considering they've been consistency drafting low for all those years they've been about average. Doesn't help that they've trading a lot away and the pressure to win now meant there was less tolerance for allowing players to develop.

rekameohs

Banned
Considering they've been consistency drafting low for all those years they've been about average. Doesn't help that they've trading a lot away and the pressure to win now meant there was less tolerance for allowing players to develop.

I would say that the drafting order really only is applicable in rounds 1 and 2. After that, the order doesn't really matter - just scouting talent, position need, and luck. And since Jeter, the Yankees have been pretty bad in those rounds. For Round 1, no one noteworthy outside of Kennedy, Joba, and Phil Hughes, and Round 2 is a dead zone. They've done well with some international signings (Cano/Melky/Matsui), and had some success in drafting (Gardner), but I wouldn't blame all of their problems on drafting low.

jakncoke

Banned
Is there any other draft like MLB that has such high failure. Over my casual browsing over th e years of draft history it appears that pretty much every round has 90%+ bust rate with most rounds after a certain point not even having a single 3 + career war player, which i guess is the reason they cut the draft rounds?

BbuAlJvCIAEihoN.jpg:large
pGuvHfF.png

BFIB

What's the deal with the Yankees with these insulting/disrespected offers?

Cano getting $170 guaranteed, Choo getting $140 guaranteed? Come on Yankees, you can do better.

Parch

Is there any other draft like MLB that has such high failure.
I used to follow the minor leagues real closely and was surprised how the top prospect lists would dramatically change from year to year. Especially pitching. Top prospects will just disappear off the list due to injury or poor performance. It happens a lot, so pitching in the minors is a real meat market.

Opiate

Off the top of my head, drafted by the Yankees since the mid 90s as they entered their title run period:

Derek Jeter
Jorge Posada
Bernie Williams
Mariano Rivera
Andy Pettite
Robinson Cano
Mike Lowell

There are 3-4 hall of famers in that list. Not sure how many such players you can really expect any franchise to produce in a 20 year span; I think the Yankees did quite well.

I used to follow the minor leagues real closely and was surprised how the top prospect lists would dramatically change from year to year. Especially pitching. Top prospects will just disappear off the list due to injury or poor performance. It happens a lot, so pitching in the minors is a real meat market.

TNSTAAPP.

Though if you're a half-decent left-handed reliever, you probably have a better shot at a long career than anyone else.

Off the top of my head, drafted by the Yankees since the mid 90s as they entered their title run period:

Derek Jeter
Jorge Posada
Bernie Williams
Mariano Rivera
Andy Pettite
Robinson Cano
Mike Lowell

There are 3-4 hall of famers in that list. Not sure how many such players you can really expect any franchise to produce in a 20 year span; I think the Yankees did quite well.

The Yankees produced a lot of very good to great players, and also some guys that have had some modicum of success either for the Yankees or other teams in recent years (like Robertson, Kennedy/Hughes, Clippard, Melancon, Austin Jackson, Melky Cabrera and so on). The farm/development system of the Yankees isn't awful at all...but right now, the cupboard appears to be bare. This is what happens when you move young guys around a lot, sign a lot of FAs that keep those young guys from developing in the majors (since their spot's taken up already) or rush those young guys up and mess with their development (like Chamberlain).

Then again, nobody was expecting Cano to be anything; he was never a top/hyped Yankee prospect...so maybe the next set of greats is lurking in the system. You figure the next few years are going to austere for the pinstripes, so at least the cupboard will be restocked soon.

Zep

Banned

Derek Jeter
Jorge Posada
Bernie Williams
Mariano Rivera
Andy Pettite
Robinson Cano
Mike Lowell

I'll give you two definite HOFers(Jeter, Mo) and one maybe(Posada). Since the idiots voting like to strike down suspected/admitted 'performance enhancing' users, no way should Pettite be voted in.

El_Chino

What's the deal with the Yankees with these insulting/disrespected offers?

Cano getting $170 guaranteed, Choo getting $140 guaranteed? Come on Yankees, you can do better.
They're trying to avoid overpaying. It's not disrespectful. They wouldn't have regretted that Can contract although the Mariners will. That Elsbury contract was,however, over paid.

Opiate

I'll give you two definite HOFers(Jeter, Mo) and one maybe(Posada). Since the idiots voting like to strike down suspected/admitted 'performance enhancing' users, no way should Pettite be voted in.

Cano is well on his way. He's already above 42 WAR; for comparison, Alomar had 63 WAR in his career in total.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Braves and Twins have swapped Sean Gilmartin and Ryan Doumit.

The Braves get a bench bat/C and 1B depth and the Twins get a prototypical soft-tossing no-strikeouts pitcher who had a 5+ ERA in AAA last year.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoy Doumit, Braves. I liked the guy but I'm glad I don't have to see him play defense anymore. I can't believe they're picking up all of his salary AND sending the Twins a lottery ticket.

BFIB

Enjoy Doumit, Braves. I liked the guy but I'm glad I don't have to see him play defense anymore. I can't believe they're picking up all of his salary AND sending the Twins a lottery ticket.

Kind of an overpay, but that's the way this offseason has been.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I wouldn't describe Gilmartin as a lottery ticket.

Anyways, the Braves didn't need Sean but they did need power off the bench so... shrug. I'd have preferred Eric Chavez but he went back to Arizona.

The Royals have traded David Lough for Danny Valencia. I'm fine with it. I like D-Lo a lot, but RF now belongs to Nori and Valencia will make a good utility infielder after the parade of jokers we had in the spot last year.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Royals have traded David Lough for Danny Valencia. I'm fine with it. I like D-Lo a lot, but RF now belongs to Nori and Valencia will make a good utility infielder after the parade of jokers we had in the spot last year.
Well, that depends on what your definition of "good" is. I'm not sure Danny can play anywhere but 3B or 1B. He's a pretty brutal defender.

good. maybe if the FO isn't stupid and signs free agents we can get good drafting positions.

Thanks to a broken draft system where signing bonuses were the biggest factor. The worst teams never drafted the best players because they were unsignable. The Yankees did. It had nothing to do with scouting skill, it was about the money. With the Yankees it was always about the money.

Williams and Rivera were signed for peanuts and nowhere near the first round. and they weren't hyped prospects. only Jeter was a high profile first round pick in 1992 when the Yankees sucked. so... the draft was fair actually.

In February when Choo is still unemployed and potentially has to go back to the Korean Army I GUESS the Mets could be nice and offer him 5/70.

he can always join a K-pop band or something.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How could posada not get in? He had a sandy vagina but he is also like one of the top offensive catchers of his era.

Do we have to attach a bullshit title to him like most feared hitter that had a sandy vagina so Red Sox fans are ok with him being in the hall with lord jim rice?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How could posada not get in? He had a sandy vagina but he is also like one of the top offensive catchers of his era.

Do we have to attach a bullshit title to him like most feared hitter that had a sandy vagina so Red Sox fans are ok with him being in the hall with lord jim rice?

Mike Piazza isn't making the HoF this year.

It'd take Posada at least a good 7 years before he gets in.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The Braves and Twins have swapped Sean Gilmartin and Ryan Doumit.

The Braves get a bench bat/C and 1B depth and the Twins get a prototypical soft-tossing no-strikeouts pitcher who had a 5+ ERA in AAA last year.
Bench gets better, gattis can ph. Gave up nothing of value. I approve. (just don't let doumit play defense)

eznark

Banned
Dude, the roster sets, mods, slider settings, etc. support for that game is fucking mind boggling. You can probably easily find minor league rosters for 1940's teams.

MLB Network is showing the recap for the 1995 season.
damn you John Wetteland, why did you blow game 4?
also, Albert Belle and that whole Cleveland lineup was monstrous.

Top Bottom