• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Friggz

Rangers lineup can be very scary.

Andrus, Choo, Beltre, Prince, Rios, Moreland, Profar, Soto, Martin

interesting that he turned down more money from the yankees.

jbug617

Banned
Rosenthal said the reason why Choo took $130 million is because of Texas not having taxes.

@Ken_Rosenthal: One source estimates that lack of state income tax in Texas means #Yankees would have needed to be at $147M to match #Rangers’ $130M.

jakncoke

Banned
With all these huge contracts. McClutch 6 years 51 is a baby contract in comparison. I wonder if he thinking about all the money he left on the table by signing long term with the Pirates

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
That's a lot of years for Choo. Good on him though for cashing in while he can. We are going to have a HUGE hole to fill in the outfield. Nobody in the Reds organization seems to acknowledge this yet. Of course it was a given that we couldn't afford to keep Choo but I guess we are just going to throw Billy Hamilton out there and hope for the best.

jakncoke

Banned
Also I have no idea how to throw good and in my RTTS my pitcher throws to short every time because im dumb and just assume pushing circle will throw to first. I got traded after my 5th start lol rays to royals. at least i got google fiber for my player now :p

BFIB

That's a lot of years for Choo. Good on him though for cashing in while he can. We are going to have a HUGE hole to fill in the outfield. Nobody in the Reds organization seems to acknowledge this yet. Of course it was a given that we couldn't afford to keep Choo but I guess we are just going to throw Billy Hamilton out there and hope for the best.

We have a Jon Jay. Would you like a Jon Jay?

3N16MA

Banned
He has a career .389 OBP. He's always destroyed RHP. Hardly a 1 year thing.

I never said Choo was not a good player . However Choo's stock clearly went up after his 2013 season. He reached a peak in 2009/2010 and then missed time in 2011 which he followed up with a disappointing season in 2012. If he repeated that he would not have a contract close to 130M.

Choo's 2013 gave him the bounce he needed to get a contract like this.

Also Choo has clearly been worse over the last 3 seasons in comparison to 2008-2010.

I find it funny that Beltran was willing to give The Yankees a discount and was literally on his hands and knees to be a Yankee and they pass up on him, but they give Ellsbury all this money when he isn't half the player Beltran was in his prime. Switch hitting, gold glove CF who can hit in the middle of the lineup.

Friggz

I never said Choo was not a good player . However Choo's stock clearly went up after his 2013 season. He reached a peak in 2009/2010 and then missed time in 2011 which he followed up with a disappointing season in 2012. If he repeated that he would not have a contract close to 130M.

Choo's 2013 gave him the bounce he needed to get a contract like this.

Also Choo has clearly been worse over the last 3 seasons in comparison to 2008-2010.

129 ops+, 373ob is disappointing? or do you mean by his standards?

Friggz

I find it funny that Beltran was willing to give The Yankees a discount and was literally on his hands and knees to be a Yankee and they pass up on him, but they give Ellsbury all this money when he isn't half the player Beltran was in his prime. Switch hitting, gold glove CF who can hit in the middle of the lineup.

yankees have a habit of taking players about 8 years too late. (see, johnson, randy)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Couldn't disagree more... they have money to spend still... even enough for another stupid contract... but are at least tightening the purse now that they landed Cano.

Landing Cano was more than just finishing a few games better than last year. It was a signal to other big named FA

Seattle has to be one of the richest teams that can't give away money. We haven't signed a big name FA since Beltre.

We also added a bit more pop in the lineup too

I am fairly happy with the off season so far...

Bingo...

People use the signaling argument all the time and I don't think it has ever meant shit. Where can we find examples where signalling has had an effect on FAs signing with a particular team? People said the same thing about Jayson Werth.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
People use the signaling argument all the time and I don't think it has ever meant shit. Where can we find examples where signalling has had an effect on FAs signing with a particular team? People said the same thing about Jayson Werth.

It doesn't mean shit. The only signal it gives other potential free agents is that the Mariners can be held ransom for their services and get way more money than anybody else is offering. Nobody is going to want to sign with the Mariners because they finish 5-10 games better this year than they did last year, they're going to want to sign with the Mariners because they're offering 75 million more dollars on a contract.

Branduil

Well... it's not my money. #YOLO

ibrPQOICEy85zO.gif

Michael Choice probably.

He's not going to platoon with that contract LOL.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JeffPassan
So far this offseason, teams have guaranteed approximately $1.543 billion to free agents. AL teams account for $1.13B. NL teams at $409.18M.

3N16MA

Banned
129 ops+, 373ob is disappointing? or do you mean by his standards?

Yes disappointing by his standards. However it was his defense which nose dived in 2012 and he was not that bad of a RF before that. His poor defense continued at CF in 2013 but he may have had his best season offensively which made some people forget about it.

If Choo repeated his 2012 season offensively combined with his defense, he would have been seen in a different light.

It's the reason why I said he cashed in on his 2013 season. Choo was trending down not up before last season.

Branduil

You want a name for the right-handed hitter to pair with Moreland? Well, it’s me, so, of course, I’m going to tout Michael Young. But I think he’d be a good fit, particularly on a one-year deal. He might allow Moreland to get back on track. He could step in in a number of roles if there is an injury. Reducing Young’s workload to 350 or so at-bats might be productive for him. And with so many new faces all around the lineup, a guy who knows how to navigate the clubhouse and who manager Ron Washington trusts to run/police the clubhouse would be a huge asset.

ixRen2lrAG6bS.gif

Guess who.

Branduil

Rangers lineup next year:

C Soto
1B Prince
2B Profar
SS Andrus
3B Beltre
LF Rios
CF Martin
RF Choo
DH Moreland?

Who are the racist fans going to cheer for if Moreland gets traded? They've already lost AJP, Craig Gentry, David Murphy and Ian Kinsler.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rangers lineup next year:

C Soto
1B Prince
2B Profar
SS Andrus
3B Beltre
LF Rios
CF Martin
RF Choo
DH Moreland?

Who are the racist fans going to cheer for if Moreland gets traded? They've already lost AJP, Craig Gentry, David Murphy and Ian Kinsler.

Are they even racist against Asians? I've never been to Texas so I'm not sure how your racist fans operate.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm starting to wonder if Price goes to the Indians for Salazar, Lindor, and others. Not sure who else, beside the DBacks or Mariners, matches up.

Top Bottom