• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Sanjuro

Texans are generally hateful towards everyone, even though they are home to practically everyone.

King of the Hill is a very accurate representation for people who have never been.

Enron

Banned
Texans are generally hateful towards everyone, even though they are home to practically everyone.

King of the Hill is a very accurate representation for people who have never been.

Says the man from Boston, the most hateful city in america!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Dodgers should upgrade their 2B situation by paying for Dan Uggla. They're dead last in Steamer's 2B projections!

But if he doesn't work out, your next best option is Dee Gordon.
GordonError.gif.opt.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Macattk15

Jack Z told Cano that they don't plan to go "all in" this season but in the next two to three.

Makes sense I guess with their relative quietness now.

The only person I hope they try for is Tanaka if posted. No thanks to Cruz.

Branduil

Jack Z told Cano that they don't plan to go "all in" this season but in the next two to three.

Makes sense I guess with their relative quietness now.

The only person I hope they try for is Tanaka if posted. No thanks to Cruz.

Because next year's free agency is so much better than this one?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That doesn't change the fact that next year's free agent market is much worse than this one. I don't understand why you would start going all in next year when the free agents are worse.

Yep.

FA classes will keep getting worse in general as teams have more money to resign their own guys to extensions.

It's one of the reasons why the Rays gave Loney 3 years. There are literally zero first basemen on the market next year that you would even want on your bench let alone starting.

Sanjuro

You guys are absurd.

Laugh at every free agent that is signed and the money they are making.

Complain that next season there aren't any good free agents and teams should have thrown more money at any player.

Yup! A typical Offseason.

Branduil

You guys are absurd.

Laugh at every free agent that is signed and the money they are making.

Complain that next season there aren't any good free agents and teams should have thrown more money at any player.

Yup! A typical Offseason.

But Seattle had already started crazy spending with Cano. You can't just do that and then stop, that's the worst plan possible. It's year 2000 Rangers stupid.

Sanjuro

They won 71 games last season. Whoever wins the AL West will probably have to win at least 95. I would be really surprised if the Mariners added 25 WAR this offseason so far.

I didn't say they were going to win it.

You're looking at the division like there is a clear cut winner. The division is filled with over achievers and under achievers on a regular basis.

Branduil

I didn't say they were going to win it.

You're looking at the division like there is a clear cut winner. The division is filled with over achievers and under achievers on a regular basis.

I don't think there is a clear-cut winner. I just don't see the Mariners being one of the teams in contention. Teams rarely jump up 25 games in one season.

Branduil

You didn't think the 2013 Red Sox were the 2013 Red Sox.

The Red Sox got multiple good pieces in the offseason, a better manager, a healthier team, and improved pitching. The Mariners have added Cano and some spare parts. I don't see the comparison.

Zep

Banned
People use the signaling argument all the time and I don't think it has ever meant shit. Where can we find examples where signalling has had an effect on FAs signing with a particular team? People said the same thing about Jayson Werth.

Happened with the Phillies when they went out and signed Thome after CBP opened. All the signing did(and its the same with Seattle's situation) was tell the fans they were willing to spend the money. His signing ended up meaning nothing because the team didn't take off until Utley and Howard came along a few years later and became the faces of the franchise along with Jimmy.

So yea, I typed that to say I agree with you. The big FA (that's meant to signal a franchise turning the corner) doesn't mean a thing unless there is a core in-place(or soon to be) around him, preferably through the farm. Its the only reason why the Phillies and Natinals took off... And I suspect the same will have to happen for Seattle if they wanna make this Cano signing matter.

Sanjuro

The Red Sox got multiple good pieces in the offseason, a better manager, a healthier team, and improved pitching. The Mariners have added Cano and some spare parts. I don't see the comparison.

...except they didn't obtain "multiple good pieces, a better manager, or improved pitching" during the offseason.

I never said there was a direct comparison, or that the Mariners are even well constructed from top to bottom. I do believe that the team is capable possibly winning that poor division or securing a wild card spot. I don't believe that is a strong possibility or the solution is throwing more money at random players just because they are available.

Top Bottom