• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

jakncoke

Banned
Hey, I signed Jeter to a 10 year deal out of curiosity and he's still kicking in year 5. He had 6 at bats in AA last year! Even Bobby Bonilla wasn't that dedicated...!

lol

But man Im currently wasting my career with the Royals. Dicks moving me to MR too fucks.

thefro

Why would the Cubs outbid real teams for a player? They are not one pitcher away from winning games at the major league level. Come on Ruben show these amateurs what is up.

Because Tanaka is only 25 and in theory is going to be in his prime when the Cubs are contending. They don't want to pay $20 million a year for someone who's going to be 34 in a couple years like most of the FAs out there.

jakncoke

Banned
The oldest living person is 115 years, 295 days, they were 10 when Cubs last won. I cant wait till there is no living person that was alive the last time the Cubs won the WS. Interesting there is still 5 people left in the world that was born in the 1800s

The oldest living person is 115 years, 295 days, they were 10 when Cubs last won. I cant wait till there is no living person that was alive the last time the Cubs won the WS. Interesting there is still 5 people left in the world that was born in the 1800s

When the Cubs win in the next 10 years, hopefully they'll still be alive.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Because Tanaka is only 25 and in theory is going to be in his prime when the Cubs are contending. They don't want to pay $20 million a year for someone who's going to be 34 in a couple years like most of the FAs out there.

I was going to say they're going to end up paying $20MM for a 34 year old anyway but I didn't realize he's only 25. Wow, good deal.

jakncoke

Banned
When the Cubs win in the next 10 years, hopefully they'll still be alive.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
no one will be alive when the cubs win another world series. it will officially be the end of times.

thefro

I was going to say they're going to end up paying $20MM for a 34 year old anyway but I didn't realize he's only 25. Wow, good deal.

It's not without risk as he's never pitched in the majors and has a lot of mileage on his arm already. But it's a rare chance to get a #1/#2 pitcher who should be in his prime years for the duration of his contract, and it will only cost you money instead of young, cost-controlled prospects.

Sign Tanaka. Pay him 20M/year. Fuck it.

Sabathia
Kuroda
Tanaka
Nova
Phelps/Warren/Nuno

If A-Rod is suspended, that signing doesn't even make a ripple.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Fuck it, go try and make the jump for Tanaka Astros.

Appel/Rodon/Cosart/Tanaka/anyone

good fucking starting core.

I think Tanaka might be afraid of the strikezone though like most Japanese pitchers. But with a 20 million posting fee, je should be yhe most sought after free agent of this generation.

Hopefully decides to go the Yankees, and according to sources the Yankees are one of his top teams. Then the staff will consist of:

1. Sabathia
2. Kuroda
3. Tanaka
4. Nova
5. Pineda/Nuno - I like what Pineda did for the Mariners, so I give him the slight edge.

If Pineda can recover from this awful shoulder injury, and Tanaka can be the person he is advertised to be, then the Yankees will have a pitching staff that can take on any lineup in MLB. Sabathia is going to have a rebound year, I just think he lost too much weight and it affected his mechanics and velocity, yet never seemed comfortable on the pitching mound. 2014 is a season that I can look forward with complete optimism and I can see the lineup putting up 4.5 to 5.2 runs per game.

jakncoke

Banned
It's kinda funny having you laugh about a team breaking it's losing streak.

Pirates sucked for 20 years which is a long time. Thats still 1/5 + years since Cubs won a WS. There is probably less than 5k people living that seen their last WS. No matter how bad the Pirates get at least we arent the Cubs. No amount of spending is going to change their chances, forever losers lol

so how does the posting work now. Basically any team can post the $20 million max and Tanaka will pick which of those teams he wants to sign with?

Exactly. teams and Tanaka will have 30 days from when he is posted to reach a deal. the team that gets the player must then pay the 20 million fee.

BFIB

I'm planning on getting the Vita version as well as the PS4 version.

Unless I can do remote play, and it works solid.

zychi

Banned
Chick Crawful is engaged to is the definition of a gold digger.

Cubs are like the Red Sox of old, unlimited funds, but only use it when they desperately want someone.

Riggs

Banned
The Show and InFamous.

Oh boy!

Hell ya! G'luck to your Astro's next year bro!

no. don't start this. next thing you know we'll be like NBA-GAF and posting about celebrity news and hip-hop/rap instead of Baseball.

there's your first problem.

Ya well there is only NBA Live to choose as an alternative and I rather punch railroad spikes through my testicles then play that ... but ya 2k has it's problems for sure. I just have been playing so damn much that I need some ol fashion baseball by now.

Ya well there is only NBA Live to choose as an alternative and I rather punch railroad spikes through my testicles then play that ... but ya 2k has it's problems for sure. I just have been playing so damn much that I need some ol fashion baseball by now.

eh... at least you'll get the show. I have nothing on the PC. :(

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Driveclub too if we're talking about PS4 exclusives.

Oh man, if that does come out in March.. yikes.

Thanks, I'm hoping this is the year they start to pick it up and not have a 100+ loss season. Then the prospects start coming into line and they're in contention again!

Good luck to your team.

aFIGurANT

Is The Show '13 worth about thirty bucks at blockbuster's death-throe sale or is a better bet to wait for the next iteration/Out of the Park '14? I know OOTP and The Show are a lot different but I'm just looking for my baseball fix and am pretty much sick of subjecting myself to MLB2k12 two years later.

Or basically I guess I'm wondering if the simulation baseball stuff is good on its own or if it's better to own an actual "playing-baseball" video game.

Top Bottom