• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Friggz

to even be in the same sentence as mariano is a joke. selig should be left out to dry. not celebrated.

I hope he is booed at every stadium he visits.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I've been watching Ken Burns' Baseball lately. Pretty fantastic stuff. I'm just in the 1920s; some of this stuff I knew, but there's a lot I didn't.

JABEE

I've been watching Ken Burns' Baseball lately. Pretty fantastic stuff. I'm just in the 1920s; some of this stuff I knew, but there's a lot I didn't.
Just watched it recently. Really great stuff. My only criticism of it is how much focuses it on just the Yankees, Red Sox, and Brooklyn Dodgers. It's worse in the extra inning.

BFIB

Its a fantastic series for the most part. Though I think Ken Burns forgot that baseball exists out of NY and Boston on a lot of it.

I'd like to see a production company do a history of each team.

Enron

Banned
ugghhhhhhh

Holland actually underwent microfracture surgery, reports Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News. That procedure comes with a longer rehabilitation time, says Fraley, who notes that Scott Feldman did not return to action until July 22, 2011 after undergoing the surgery in November of 2010.

The Mariners have signed John Buck to a 1-year, $1 million deal.

The Indians have signed Nyjer Morgan to a minor league/spring training deal. He can make over $1 million in 2014 if he makes the team and meets incentives.

Dallas Braden has announced his retirement at age 30. Braden said he planned to workout for teams until he felt pain in his shoulder again. His latest MRI showed his shoulder is unfixable. "It's just a shredded mess in there."

jakncoke

Banned
The Mariners have signed John Buck to a 1-year, $1 million deal.

The Indians have signed Nyjer Morgan to a minor league/spring training deal. He can make over $1 million in 2014 if he makes the team and meets incentives.

Dallas Braden has announced his retirement at age 30. Braden said he planned to workout for teams until he felt pain in his shoulder again. His latest MRI showed his shoulder is unfixable. "It's just a shredded mess in there."

Thats gotta be soul crushing for a pitcher

-- The Dodgers want Clayton Kershaw to be signed to a long-term extension by Friday.

-- Charlie Manuel has accepted a position in the Phillies front office, effectively ending his managerial career. He will now serve as Senior Advisor to the Ruben Amaro Jr.

-- The Cubs have signed 2009 NL Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan to a minor league/spring training deal. Coghlan will make $0.8 million if he makes the team and can make another $0.25 million in incentives. He can opt out of the deal if he's not on the MLB team by June 15.

BFIB

I really hope we get some concrete details on MLB 14: The Show soon.

Kind of worried the PS4 version won't be out at launch.

El_Chino

-- The Dodgers want Clayton Kershaw to be signed to a long-term extension by Friday.

-- Charlie Manuel has accepted a position in the Phillies front office, effectively ending his managerial career. He will now serve as Senior Advisor to the Ruben Amaro Jr.

-- The Cubs have signed 2009 NL Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan to a minor league/spring training deal. Coghlan will make $0.8 million if he makes the team and can make another $0.25 million in incentives. He can opt out of the deal if he's not on the MLB team by June 15.
Rumors are a $300 million dollar extension. That's just...wow.

BFIB

Doyers/Kershaw agree on a 7 year $215 million dollar deal.

Lot of money for a guy that only factors every 5th day.

Enron

Banned
Great deal for both sides. Sure it's ridiculous, but they are paying for his prime years and after that they can walk away and be done. Kershaw can hit the market AGAIN and make even more money.

Dodgers can hope that he's healthy these next 5 years and that he opts out. I'll take Kershaw for 5 years at 30 mil. And Jordan at one time use to get paid 30 mil a season. LeBron James would easily make 30 mil if there was no cap.

That's a great deal for the Dodgers, who get to lock up the best pitcher in the game in his prime, and great for Kershaw who could get better (!) and choose to opt-out (!!) if he so desires.

Now, if they somehow can also get Tanaka too...

I need them to be broke though; Yankees need Tanaka in the worst way.

3N16MA

Banned
That's a great deal for the Dodgers, who get to lock up the best pitcher in the game in his prime, and great for Kershaw who could get better (!) and choose to opt-out (!!) if he so desires.

Now, if they somehow can also get Tanaka too...

I need them to be broke though; Yankees need Tanaka in the worst way.

They still need to extend Hanley.

jakncoke

Banned
Kershaw is already 24th active in pitching war with 32.2 .. he is only 25. I think that deal is fair to him.

edit; funny enough, barring some sort of spring training arm injury, he'll pass Barry Zito in career pitching war this year.

3N16MA

Banned
Kershaw has a 27.1 fWAR since 2009 (5 seasons). If you go with 1 WAR being worth 5-6M that is 135.5-162.6M over that span which is 27.1-32.52M AAV. Kershaw will be in his prime over the next 5 seasons before he is able to opt out, you would expect him to actually improve on his numbers from the last 5 seasons. The AAV is not that outrageous if he is a 6 WAR pitcher over the next 5 seasons which I expect him to be. Then you have the next 2 years if he does not opt out which still only puts him in his early 30's.

Dodgers can hope that he's healthy these next 5 years and that he opts out. I'll take Kershaw for 5 years at 30 mil. And Jordan at one time use to get paid 30 mil a season. LeBron James would easily make 30 mil if there was no cap.
I think you follow the NBA enough to know that a Jordan/Lebron type superstar in basketball affects his team's fortunes far more than a starting pitcher does in baseball. The guy is going to make roughly $1M per start.

Imagine if the Dodgers pull a Yankees/ARod when Kershaw opts out after 5 years.

3N16MA

Banned
Tigers extended Verlander for 5/140 which is a 28M AAV from age 32-36. I would rather pay Kershaw 30M from age 26-30 and let him opt out if he wants.

Malo

Banned
Good deal for both sides. Kershaw gets to opt at 30 and look for another monster deal, while the Doyers get his prime years. Makes me wonder what Trout is going to get in terms of AAV. $35 mill?

Top Bottom