• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

So dodgers bowing out I the tanaka sweepstakes?

13133_1330045695.jpg

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dodgers can hope that he's healthy these next 5 years and that he opts out. I'll take Kershaw for 5 years at 30 mil. And Jordan at one time use to get paid 30 mil a season. LeBron James would easily make 30 mil if there was no cap.

His final 2 years of his Chicago career

He had already won 4 chips and made billions for the sport and the Bulls... until then he kept his salary low to win

But yeah exactly the same thing

With the price of pitching, I really hope the Cardinals lock some of these young arms up.
Recent history suggests they'll extend one or two of them before they get close to free agency. Hopefully, the minor league system keeps churning out impact players such that losing the others won't hurt too much.

His final 2 years of his Chicago career

He had already won 4 chips and made billions for the sport and the Bulls... until then he kept his salary low to win

But yeah exactly the same thing

I know he didn't get paid that for much of his career but he finally got paid his worth at the tail end of his career. If he was in prime during the 00 era, he'd easily make that amount for more than 2 years.

That's honestly a fair deal, especially for a team like the Dodgers which aren't exactly pinching pennies. On top of that he's in his prime. He can opt out at 30. People freak out on the surface because of the AAV (would you rather that money just go to the billionaire owner's pockets?)and the fact that he's a pitcher, but if you just look at the value and impact a historically great pitcher like Kershaw can have he is worth every cent of that. The fact is that most of the best of the best athletes on team sports are actually underpaid and undervalued.

Blackace

That's honestly a fair deal, especially for a team like the Dodgers which aren't exactly pinching pennies. On top of that he's in his prime. He can opt out at 30. People freak out on the surface because of the AAV (would you rather that money just go to the billionaire owner's pockets?)and the fact that he's a pitcher, but if you just look at the value and impact a historically great pitcher like Kershaw can have he is worth every cent of that. The fact is that most of the best of the best athletes on team sports are actually underpaid and undervalued.

People freak out because it prices pitching well out the smaller markets...

Blackace

I know he didn't get paid that for much of his career but he finally got paid his worth at the tail end of his career. If he was in prime during the 00 era, he'd easily make that amount for more than 2 years.

He could have demanded that much but liked winning more... that's kinda the point.

People freak out because it prices pitching well out the smaller markets...

I think teams giving marginal pitchers six figure contracts does more damage than the absolute best pitcher in baseball getting paid what he's worth. Kershaw's deal is more of an outlier. I doubt very many pitchers/agents are going to be able to use it as a reference point.

Branduil

I think teams giving marginal pitchers six figure contracts does more damage than the absolute best pitcher in baseball getting paid what he's worth. Kershaw's deal is more of an outlier. I doubt very many pitchers/agents are going to be able to use it as a reference point.

Yeah some dumb team paying Garza like he's a #2 pitcher hurts the market a lot more than Kershaw's deal.

3N16MA

Banned
Kershaw may only pitch every 5th day but he also faces over 900 hitters per year. No hitter is going to see that many PA.

Blackace

Agents will throw it out there with Verlander and whoever else...

Very few athletes are worth more than some franchises imo...

Blackace

Kershaw may only pitch every 5th day but he also faces over 900 hitters per year. No hitter is going to see that many PA.

Everyday player helps change the outcome of so many more games PA isn't a real gauge for that it's still only 1/5 of the games played

3N16MA

Banned
Everyday player helps change the outcome of so many more games PA isn't a real gauge for that it's still only 1/5 of the games played

SP have more influence on the games they pitch than any single player on the field. They pitch 1/5 of the games but they have a much larger impact on the ones they do play in. Kershaw is a 200+ inning pitcher year in and year out who goes deep into games which increases his impact.

I will take a Mike Trout playing everyday over a Kershaw but I think SP are sometimes not given the credit for their impact because they pitch every 5th day.

I think some fans look at it as "position players play everyday which means they have 5 times the impact or importance than a SP." That is not accurate.

Syrinx

Man, Angels are gonna regret not already locking up Trout long term. Feels like every day they don't, he gets more expensive.

jakncoke

Banned

This. You got every average FA pitcher wanting 12+ million a year. Small market teams cant take that risk. Thats like 15-20% of a payroll on a guy that should a 3/4 in your rotation

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Diamondbacks have responded to the Kershaw extension by locking up Josh Collmenter to a two year extension, with two option years.

Eh, at this point, it doesn't matter to the Doyers. They can outspend their mistakes.

But $30 AAV is absolutely nuts for a pitcher, even the caliber of Kershaw.

I love the Dodgers...but I don't think ANY current everyday player is worth 30 million a year.

Much less a pitcher (even if it's the best picture in baseball).

God..I'm going to laugh and cry if a small market team has a better record than the Dodgers this season.

Can anyone help me MLB gaf?

I need pictures of a baseball player swinging a baseball bat during the preparatory phase, force phase, and the follow through phase. Where's the best place to get these types of pictures? It's for a biomechanics project I'm doing.

I like that Kershaw was smart enough to set himself up for another big deal after year 5 if he opts out. Knowing that the 10 year deal will be there in 5 years was a stroke of brilliance by his agent.

Also, there is no way this takes the Dodgers out of the Tanaka sweepstakes. I kind of hope they fall short and the Rangers sneak in there with Holland going down, but I still think he is going to be a Dodger.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Can anyone help me MLB gaf?

I need pictures of a baseball player swinging a baseball bat during the preparatory phase, force phase, and the follow through phase. Where's the best place to get these types of pictures? It's for a biomechanics project I'm doing.
google

aFIGurANT

I like that Kershaw was smart enough to set himself up for another big deal after year 5 if he opts out. Knowing that the 10 year deal will be there in 5 years was a stroke of brilliance by his agent.

Also, there is no way this takes the Dodgers out of the Tanaka sweepstakes. I kind of hope they fall short and the Rangers sneak in there with Holland going down, but I still think he is going to be a Dodger.

I'd eat my hat if Tanaka becomes a Dodger. Just putting that out there now FWIW.

Top Bottom