• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
EfSMyDl.jpg

jnc

Enron

Banned
why is that funny? from 2010-2013 he is 11th in WAR amoungst third baseman while playing roughly 120-170 games less than other players.

no reason to think why he couldnt be a 2-4 win player *when* healthy.

Because 2012 and 2013 happened. And it's 2014. The decline is here for A-rod. For the 2013 season, the cutoff for the top 10 in terms of WAR for 3B was 3.0. Arod isn't going to sniff 3.0 had he played this year. He's not going to come close in 2015 either if he plays. His skills are declining and he's old.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Scott Boras spitting that hot fire:
"The integrity of the game is only partially served when a known pusher is exonerated, when the genesis of this entire problem is now given a forum and compensation and is not behind bars for the distribution and promoting the use of illegal drugs, not only to baseball players but all members of the sporting community and youth," Boras said.

"Until we rectify that problem, we have not addressed the central issue of eradicating PEDs from professional sports. We have to have legislation; we have to have very clear authority and prosecution of these individuals.

"If these individuals go free, it promotes behavior to create processes to distribute PEDs, knowing the league's focus is on the players, not on the distributors of drugs."

Major League Baseball officials declined comment.

Friggz

Because 2012 and 2013 happened. And it's 2014. The decline is here for A-rod. For the 2013 season, the cutoff for the top 10 in terms of WAR for 3B was 3.0. Arod isn't going to sniff 3.0 had he played this year. He's not going to come close in 2015 either if he plays. His skills are declining and he's old.

he also wasnt healthy in either of those seasons. sure his skills have declined, hes not going to hit 40+ homers anymore with a 130 wrc.

but he still has a 10-11 BB% and can muster up a 150ish ISO if he can manage to play a full season. Please know that im basing my assumption that he can play 140 games in 2015.

Friggz

I was looking back over A-Rod's career, and man, he was so great. His 1996 season was just amazing.

No idea how a short stop that hit .358 with 36 homers and 53 doubles while playing great defense at Short and putting up a 9.2fwar didnt win MVP.

infact, arod should have probably won about 6 MVPs.

he also wasnt healthy in either of those seasons. sure his skills have declined, hes not going to hit 40+ homers anymore with a 130 wrc.

but he still has a 10-11 BB% and can muster up a 150ish ISO if he can manage to play a full season. Please know that im basing my assumption that he can play 140 games in 2015.

140 games seems like a stretch. Plus "he also wasnt healthy" is a pretty big key. He's old, and ostensibly off PEDs so he's even MORE likely to be not healthy going forward.

He's on the wrong end of the age curve: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/how-do-baseball-players-age-part-1/

No idea how a short stop that hit .358 with 36 homers and 53 doubles while playing great defense at Short and putting up a 9.2fwar didnt win MVP.

Cause voters only looked at dingers and RBI.

CygnusXS

Safe to say the AL 1996 was one of the worst MVP picks in history.

Friggz

140 games seems like a stretch. Plus "he also wasnt healthy" is a pretty big key. He's old, and ostensibly off PEDs so he's even MORE likely to be not healthy going forward.

He's on the wrong end of the age curve: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/how-do-baseball-players-age-part-1/

Cause voters only looked at dingers and RBI.

oh i agree, my argument was solely based off him being healthy. i realize those days are most likely behind him. im just saying that the skill set is still there, but the body isnt.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
If the Cubs ever win the World Series again, the Earth would implode on itself and we would all return to the primordial soup from which we came.

Friggz

i wonder if tanaka possibly going to the dodgers would be a blessing in disguise for the yankees. Taking a look at next years free agency class for pitchers has a few more pitchers id rather the yankees persue than tanaka.

Should be interesting.

El_Chino

i wonder if tanaka possibly going to the dodgers would be a blessing in disguise for the yankees. Taking a look at next years free agency class for pitchers has a few more pitchers id rather the yankees persue than tanaka.

Should be interesting.
Well Kuroda won't be back for 2015 and who knows what will happen with Nova or Phelps so they could still get another arm or two after this year with Tanaka already in the rotation.

CygnusXS

I don't think people are making a big enough deal about how good the Dodgers could be next year if they get Tanaka.

Friggz

Well Kuroda won't be back for 2015 and who knows what will happen with Nova or Phelps so they could still get another arm or two after this year with Tanaka already in the rotation.

they could, but im takiing a kershaw or scherzer caliber arm. Kershaw is going to get probably 275 million or so. its certainly possible of course.

Friggz

I don't think people are making a big enough deal about how good the Dodgers could be next year if they get Tanaka.

they can be very good. however, i would expect worse years from puig, kershaw, and hanley.

I use worse very loosely. they were all so good last year i just dont see them repeating that type of success again.

aFIGurANT

The Dodgers and Tanaka would be too much to process.

What they've done with the Red Sox and signing Ryu and all the other pieces like Wilson in the BP was the "we're here" message. Throwing another ace on top of Kershaw would scream of feeling inadequate with anything less than a nearly-guaranteed WS berth. Which might just be what they're feeling but with extensions still needing to be done I don't see it.

MLB network showing a really good show, top 40 non hall of famers. Tim Raines, Dale Murphy, Richie Allen, Rafael Palmeiro.

question, whoa re your top ten non Hall of Famers (that should probably be in obviously)

BFIB

MLB network showing a really good show, top 40 non hall of famers. Tim Raines, Dale Murphy, Richie Allen, Rafael Palmeiro.

question, whoa re your top ten non Hall of Famers (that should probably be in obviously)

Out of all of the things I miss when we cut the cable cord, MLBNetwork is what I miss the most. :(

Talon

Oh, boy. This will turn out well!

In fact, Selig said, he would like to spend his last year as commissioner on a Mariano Rivera-type tour of all 30 major league parks, speaking not with baseball dignitaries but with fans and people who work in his sport behind the scenes.

"I want to talk to season-ticket holders and fans," he said. "I've got a lot of people to thank."

That idea came about, he said, in part because several clubs reached out to him after his announcement and asked to honor him, but also because Rivera's farewell tour got Selig to thinking about ways to connect with people who love baseball.

"I like that," Selig said. "I like talking to people. And ... that's what I want to do: [speak to] season-ticket holders, people who work at ballparks. I just like to walk around and talk to people. I love that. I did that when I ran the Brewers. And I enjoyed it. I miss that.

"Many people ask me, 'Is there anything you miss [about owning a team]?' And that's it. I really miss all that. I knew every vendor. And you knew what they were thinking, too, because they'll tell you, especially if your team is losing."

Not so long ago, Selig conceded, there was a time when he was so unpopular, he couldn't have done anything like this.

"It would have been an ugly experience," he said. "If I'd done it in the '90s, I would have needed nine security people to make sure that I made it out of there."
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10292727/bud-selig-remains-committed-retirement

Top Bottom