• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

I used to be an avid baseball fan, but have since turned more casual over the years, but I have never understood why this play even exists. Yeah, I know they don't want people getting injured, but at the same time, it's absurd that infielders can pull off the bag early and be nowhere in the vicinity of the base when catching the ball and the umpire still gives them the benefit of the doubt. It's ridiculous, and I just don't understand why it's acceptable just because they want to prevent injuries.
I don't think the umps even use that rationale anymore. They call it because it's been that way forever, so they keep calling it like that. Why change it? Y'know, like keep women away from the ballot box and Jim Crow.

zulux21

I don't think the umps even use that rationale anymore. They call it because it's been that way forever, so they keep calling it like that. Why change it? Y'know, like keep women away from the ballot box and Jim Crow.

speaking of women and umps... are there any female umps in the minors at all (i know there aren't any in the majors)?

Friggz

Rays have been the best team in baseball record wise over the last 6 years.

Still have shit attendance.

Rays dont even have the best record in baseball over the last 6 years in the AL east. Where did you even get that idea?

And they are killed from their miserable stadium, and even worse location.

Parch

I hope its Montreal if it happens because they got totally fucked over by Selig and with his ass gone maybe they'll get their team back.
I would love to see it but still think it's highly unlikely. Scapegoat blame too entrenched onto a fanbase, but don't get me started on how Montreal got fucked over by Selig. MLB's treatment of that city and it's fans is truly an embarrassment to sports.

Branduil

Also, with the new replay system, any competent manager should be able to win most of their challenges. It's not like football where you have a limited window of time to challenge the play, you should have no problem having enough time to tell if a call was wrong.

jbug617

Banned
CC signed to Roc Nation

BeJJJlSCQAE8U4w.jpg

I would love to see it but still think it's highly unlikely. Scapegoat blame too entrenched onto a fanbase, but don't get me started on how Montreal got fucked over by Selig. MLB's treatment of that city and it's fans is truly an embarrassment to sports.

That's true, but if they could manage to find someone willing to fund a new stadium in Montreal, they probably would have a solid chance at a team... and yes, they deserve one.

zulux21

Going to be surprised and disappointing if the Cubs don't come away with Tanaka.

Tanaka has clearly said he wants to go to a team that has a chance to win a world series soon.... the cubs aren't exactly at the top of that list... so don't be surprised if he doesn't sign there but more someplace like with the yankees.

santeesioux

He wouldn't buy The Rays? They're a properly run organization.

I'd certainly want him to buy them, but you never know with that guy. He already owns 3 other pro teams if you count the MLS, and he'd probably have to help fund a stadium because you'll never convince the tax payers to foot the whole bill.

There's some articles from ten years ago talking about how he tried to buy the Expos and move them here, so i'm sure he could do it if he felt like it.

aFIGurANT

An MLB team in Portland would be nice but it means realignment or lots of angry NYY/BOS/BAL fans when games start at ten or eleven on the east coast. You'd have to revamp a really competitive division to do it and that's no good.

Talon

An MLB team in Portland would be nice but it means realignment or lots of angry NYY/BOS/BAL fans when games start at ten or eleven on the east coast. You'd have to revamp a really competitive division to do it and that's no good.
Move Houston back to the NL Central.

Add to the NL or AL West. Done.

Or, better yet, add two new teams on top of Tampa moving to Portland, and have two 16 team leagues, each with 4 divisions.

I could see Bell Media springing for a team in Montreal. It's basically lots and lots of free content for them, assuming they have the same deal with themselves that Rogers gets for having the Jays on their own sports channels.

jakncoke

Banned
Why does Montreal deserve another team? Assuming you're counting Montreal as your 1 of 2, where is the other team going? Also fuck canada.

The Expos will return. The baseball economics have changed, because of the murder of the Espos and the hit miney that was used in MLB Adavanced Media. He Is Risen.

Because Montreal is a good baseball town, as long as they don't have a scumbags like Loria and Selig doing everything they can to run the team into the ground. I don't think there's a team in baseball that could survive having no TV/radio contract and being forced to play a quarter of their home games 2,000 miles away. As I said, if they could get an owner like Bell Media -- who would easily be one of the richest ownership groups in baseball -- I think the team would thrive. Case in point: they've sold a crapload of tickets to the two exhibition games between the Jays and the Mets that are taking place in late March at old, decrepit Olympic Stadium. There's clearly interest.

As for a second team, there are a few good options: Charlotte, San Antonio, maybe Mexico City...New York City would be ideal, but there's no way the Yankees and Mets would allow that to happen (and if they did, the money the new owners would have to pay out would be astronomical). It's not crazy to think that the next commissioner, whoever he is, would want to make his mark right away, and expansion would be a quick/easy/lucrative way to do it.

El_Chino

Mark Reyonalds didn't want to sign with the Yankees because of a minor league contract so instead he signs one with Milwaukee. Lol

Another team in New York would be sacrilege, since it couldn't be the Dodgers (who have legendary history here) or the Giants (who also have some relevant history here). No way that's happening, even if it was in Brooklyn.

Montreal should have the Expos back. People watched baseball there, and they should have a team. I dunno why Portland needs a team (are they big enough to support it)...I guess you could move the Rays or something, but then you're leaving Loria to be the only game in town in Florida - and that isn't good for baseball, or baseball's fans.

eznark

Banned
If he's "guaranteed" a spot then why not just make it a major league contact?

Because he agreed to a minor league deal, which is apparently anyone was willing to give him. He (probably rightly) assumes his best chance to make a team is in Milwaukee which is probably accurate considering we have literally zero first basemen on the roster and supposedly have no interest in bringing up Morris.

cashman

Banned
Another team in New York would be sacrilege, since it couldn't be the Dodgers (who have legendary history here) or the Giants (who also have some relevant history here). No way that's happening, even if it was in Brooklyn.

Montreal should have the Expos back. People watched baseball there, and they should have a team. I dunno why Portland needs a team (are they big enough to support it)...I guess you could move the Rays or something, but then you're leaving Loria to be the only game in town in Florida - and that isn't good for baseball, or baseball's fans.

It's florida, they don't give a shit.

Give Las Vegas a team. Lolololol

I would get season tickets in a second. They really should, baseball gambling isnt even close to football, and there is a huge population here, and tons of cheap land. Plus all the tourists always coming into town. Vegas would be perfect for a pro team.

jakncoke

Banned
a 3rd nyc team? maybe mexico city? montreal? this fucking guy :jnc give you a tag "never let me run mlb, i have the worst ideas ever"

hampton roads area wouldnt be a bad idea in theory but already a lot of teams in that general area.

I would get season tickets in a second. They really should, baseball gambling isnt even close to football, and there is a huge population here, and tons of cheap land. Plus all the tourists always coming into town. Vegas would be perfect for a pro team.

And they still wouldnt let Pete Rose into the HOF

Meanwhile, MLB alleviated a key concern of the umpires by agreeing to hire two additional umpiring crews (a total of eight new umpires), and staffing the replay center in New York through a rotation of current umpire crews instead of with former umpires and umpiring supervisors.
Another wrinkle of the new rules will allow clubs to show replays of controversial plays in the stadium for the first time. Teams would be able to air up to two replays at regular speed. Then, once the review is completed, fans in the park will be shown an additional replay that demonstrates why the call was overturned, or upheld.
nice.

Sanjuro

It's a joke notion with any sport. Baseball would make more sense than the NFL, the draw wouldn't consistently be there. I don't see any scenario where they have any sort of attendance balance a couple seasons in.

Sanjuro

I'm not sure that I understand, but the instant replay crew should be entirely based out of NY. The on-site crew should have no say once handed over to replay.

Rays to Portland

Portland wouldn't even pony up to fix their stadium and keep their AAA team. Why would they pay for an MLB stadium?

Hasn't Vegas tanked economically the last few years? I know people were talking it up like 5 years or so ago but then things went down hill.

Vegas would be great for a pro sports franchise. The gambling stigma makes it difficult, though...even though there's nothing that would suggest that having a pro sports presence in a place where gambling is would result in any increase in gambling related to pro sports. The economy makes it tough for people to be able to afford to go to the games, but whatever - baseball is probably the last affordable pro sports visit, so it wouldn't be bad news.

Why are people against Montreal, though?

Top Bottom