• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Tim McCarver has signed a deal with FOX Sports Midwest that will see him in the booth for 30 Cardinals games in 2014. Sorry, Cards fans.

They deserve him by virtue of being Cardinals fans.

Move Houston back to the NL Central.

Yes pls.

Singleton still #1.
He just needs to lay off the ganja

Thanks, RAJ.

Correra #3 for SS , Appel #6 for RHP.

Dat future.

Parch

If only people in Vancouver cared about baseball.
They care about minor league ball. The Vancouver Canadians do alright, but Nat Bailey Stadium must be falling apart by now.

One of the problems with having the winter olympics is that a new stadium wasn't part of all the facilities they built.
They could play ball in BC Place. Many moons ago I saw a preseason game there between the Blue Jays and Brewers. But it's not really the type of facility that is MLB worthy.

aFIGurANT

Well, if anything we'll get some sympathy from MLBGAF.

What about Tim really is so unlikeable anyway? Just the geriatric nature of his commentary or is there something more to it that I don't get? He's affable to a fault is all I get from watching the WS each year.

zulux21

given that a bunch of medicore pitchers just got 6-8 mil I wonder if anyone will be willing to go after Carlos Zambrano for a minor league deal that expands to like 1-2mil if he reaches the majors and pitches well (though his recent pitching hasn't been great)

I also wonder if Miguel Cabrera continues to produce like he did these last two years, when he becomes a free agent at 33 years old what type of contract he could get.

Update to earlier Braves story:

-- Craig Kimbrel filed for $9 million. The Braves countered with $6.5 million.
-- Freddie Freeman filed for $5.75 million. The Braves countered with $4.5 million.
-- Jason Heyward filed for $5.5 million. The Braves countered with $5.2 million.

The Nationals and Jordan Zimmermann have avoided arbitration, agreeing on a 2-year, $24 million deal. Zimmerman will make $7.5 million in 2014 and $16.5 million in 2015.

The Tigers and Max Scherzer have avoided arbitration, agreeing on a 1-year, $15.525 million deal.

The Orioles and Chris Davis have avoided arbitration, agreeing on a 1-year, $10.35 million deal.

RBH

Braves GM Frank Wren says that his club will take its arbitration case to a hearing with the club's three remaining arbitration-filing players, reports David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (via Twitter). Wren says that the club will not have any further negotiations with closer Craig Kimbrel, first baseman Freddie Freeman, and outfielder Jason Heyward.

The Braves are a noted "file and trial" club, and Wren's statements indicate that the club intends to stand by its position. "We have an organization philosophy of the filing date is our last date to negotiate prior to a hearing," said Wren. "We're done."
None of the other "file and trial" clubs -- the Blue Jays, Marlins, Pirates, Rays, Reds, and White Sox -- has any players yet to reach agreement. (The Pirates and Reds are new additions to the list, per tweets from MLBTR's Tim Dierkes and FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.) For the first time ever, no players went to an arbitration hearing last year, but that apparently will not be the case for 2014.

As O'Brien explains, the Braves have not had a hearing since John Rocker back in 2001. The club avoided arbitration in 2009 with Jeff Francoeur just before a hearing, but has adopted its strict negotiating policy since that time.

Needless to say, those three players represent both a critical component of the team's young core and a substantial portion of its current and future payroll. Kimbrel, in particular, represents a fascinating arbitration case given his historic early-career performance from the back end of the pen. MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projects him to earn a $7.25MM salary in his first trip through arbitration, with Freeman and Heyward projected to take home $4.9MM and $4.5MM, respectively.

Wren discussed the club's negotiations as well, as Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports on Twitter. "At the end of the day," Wren said, "we went well above the recommended salary arbitration numbers for all of our players."

The filing splits between player and team show that the Braves' filing numbers were in the ballpark of Swartz's projections. (The club may, of course, have been willing to go somewhat higher to avoid a hearing.) Kimbrel asked for $9MM, with the team countering at $6.55MM, while Freeman ($5.75MM vs. $4.5MM) and Heyward ($5.5MM vs. $5.2MM) also landed right around the projected dollar amounts.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/...th-kimbrel-freeman-heyward.html#disqus_thread

Talon

What about Tim really is so unlikeable anyway? Just the geriatric nature of his commentary or is there something more to it that I don't get? He's affable to a fault is all I get from watching the WS each year.
Jerek Deter
lolol stats are dumb
Gimme dem RBIs, so clutch

How would a Major league baseball team fare in city like Buffalo, Albany, or even Connecticut?

They don't have the combination of population and affluence.

Actually, Buffalo almost got a team in the '60s, but they weren't able to pull it off. I can't imagine they'd have any chance now, after decades of a crappy economy, plus the added weight of two New York teams and (probably) Toronto fighting against it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Not necessarily. They just hate pro sports. College baseball seems to do fine there.
yeah, probably has to do with mlb not having much of a history in the south outside of St. Louis. College sports have been around waaay longer than pro sports in the south.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Mets have signed John Lannan to a minor league/spring training deal.

The Diamondbacks' offer to Tanaka is confirmed to be 6 years, $120 million. It's believed that the Yankees and Dodgers offer isn't much more than the D-Backs offer.

thefro

There's a rumour that the Cubs offered 6/160, which would be crazy.

Seems like a pretty credible rumor based on what has been said the past 2-3 days out of the Chicago folks who are allegedly "insiders". CSN Chicago had a piece up saying the Cubs were willing to go up to $25 or 26 million/yr.

Have been multiple people saying the Cubs front office thinks they've got the high bid right now.

zulux21

Seems like a pretty credible rumor based on what has been said the past 2-3 days out of the Chicago folks who are allegedly "insiders". CSN Chicago had a piece up saying the Cubs were willing to go up to $25 or 26 million/yr.

Have been multiple people saying the Cubs front office thinks they've got the high bid right now.

as much as i would like to see the white sox get him (it would be nice to have a one two punch of sale and him) I don't want to see them go beyond 6/120 (or 20 mil a year)

20 mil a year is a ton of money for a semi unknown.... it's damn near established ace money in general and while tanaka has been amazing in japan that doesn't mean he will continue to be after he comes over.

Mcnabb was on the radio Friday saying that he talks to people in Chicago and he has heard that the Cubs would not be outbid.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
His salary is going to be gigantic compared to other SP free agents. How many great starting pitchers are available at FA at age 25? The answer is basically zero.

Makes me wonder how much Darvish would have got if he had the chance to sign for the highest dollar amount.

That said its still fucking crazy. But I expect the Yankees to do it in the end.

Pirates gave Edinson Volquez 5 million
He was actually very good once.
should have never built the new one. baseball stadium would be perfect there.
Fuck you assclown.
Which is why the Mets need to leave and bring the Dodgers back to Brooklyn. It's a better rivalry anyways.
Applaud this man.
I'm okay with this.
80057-eddie-murphy-fuck-you-gif-Imgu-bD0x.gif

Rangers made big moves his off season getting Choo and Prince. BUT ...

Down goes Holland! Down goes Holland!

Fuck, he is out likely till August from what I'm hearing from people who realize what the injury was ( torn something or another ). MASSIVE drop off from Yu to .... who?

Would of been Yu , Holland , Harrison , Perez ( whom I think will become a solid starter in a few years ) , someone ...

Now?

Yu , Harrison , Perez , ... someone ... someone ...

I don't know about Colby Lewis when he returns. For the 5th, just unsure. Ross was supposed to be a starter anyway so he could do it. I think turning Feliz into a starter was the dumbest move in the history of the organization ( yeah overblowing, but whatever ). Turn the rookie of the year / best closer into a starter and let him blow his arm out twice.

So, unless JD makes some moves the starting rotation will be interesting.

doesn't the south hate baseball?

WTF. Rangers are I think what, #3 in attendance last year?

Friggz

His salary is going to be gigantic compared to other SP free agents. How many great starting pitchers are available at FA at age 25? The answer is basically zero.

Makes me wonder how much Darvish would have got if he had the chance to sign for the highest dollar amount.

That said its still fucking crazy. But I expect the Yankees to do it in the end.

i understand why he is getting so much. its really becuase of his age. but still, hes still pretty much an unknown at this point since there a fewmajor differences between japanese baseball and the MLB.

RBH

Do they? Their attendance is pretty low for a team that's been very competitive over the past 20 years.

Even when they were winning they weren't selling out their playoff tickets. The Rangers do well because the DFW is a winners town.

Any team that's able to average 30,000+ on a regular basis is in a decent spot imo, and the Braves have been in that spot for a few years now. It'll be interesting from that perspective to see how the new stadium fares since it'll be closer to the northern suburbs where a lot of the fans are located.

thefro

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/01/19/levine-cubs-may-be-in-lead-for-tanaka/

Latest from the Chicago media on Tanaka.

According to MLB sources, the Chicago Cubs will be one of the finalists this week in the Masahiro Tanaka signing sweepstakes. The bidding will end on Thursday when the pitcher’s posting period expires.

A source told me on Saturday that the Cubs appeal to the Tanaka negotiating group, listed a chance to be the ace of the team and grow with the top rated young players that are developing in the organization.

“They have the ability to bid as much and in this case more than the Dodgers or Yankees,” said the baseball official. “They will be getting billions of dollars in their future local TV deal that they can use to sign this player. When their stadium project is completed they will have millions more to help entice the best talent to play in Chicago”

Tanaka is known to want a city to play in where the Japanese population and its culture is vibrant and readily accessible for him and his wife. The dollars are of course a deciding factor in the 25-year-old pitcher’s final decision. Bidding teams learned early in the process that the price of poker would begin at six years and $100 million. Many have speculated that Tanaka could receive as much as $150 million from the winning bidder. Those figures however have been driven by media speculation more so than actual knowledge of the contract talks.
]

A source for this story said the Cubs will use every ethical strategy they can to get Tanaka to say yes to their offer. Indications are club has told the pitcher he would be their ace and grow with the top rated minor league talent that is starting to make its way through the system. A source from the Japanese side of this said Tanaka has the type of personality that would accept the challenge of being the lead man on building a young championship team.

If the Dodgers have to bid $150 million or higher then I'm absolutely fine with pulling out of the bidding. No way in hell I would spend that much to get a guy that might not even translate well into the MLB. I'd rather let somebody else take the risk.

Top Bottom