• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Sanjuro

Vegas would be great for a pro sports franchise. The gambling stigma makes it difficult, though...even though there's nothing that would suggest that having a pro sports presence in a place where gambling is would result in any increase in gambling related to pro sports. The economy makes it tough for people to be able to afford to go to the games, but whatever - baseball is probably the last affordable pro sports visit, so it wouldn't be bad news.

Why are people against Montreal, though?

Vegas would have free trips to the game, tickets, and cocktails from a shuttle bus. Basically a retirement home.

Meier

so with stanton now making $6.5MM how much longer until the marlins trade him away?

Read an article about a week or so ago that said he want to sign with an LA team if he reached free agency. Probably keep him another year I'd think.

The Dodgers announcement at 11 Pacific was "just" Kershaw.

jakncoke

Banned
Where did Expo fans go? In the early and mid 80s they had several seasons where they were 2nd or 3rd in NL attendance. But after 1987 they had 0 seasons in the top 10 in NL attendance. So while Loria is complete shit and a scumbag, the attendance issues started before him for a good decade.

... how did Kyle Kendrick get almost 8 mil?

Pirates gave Edinson Volquez 5 million

zulux21

... how did Kyle Kendrick get almost 8 mil?

same way Rick Porcello got 8.5 mil... slightly above replacement level pitchers make good money.

seeing these numbers on pitchers though makes me feel great about
6oiiZ.png

for Chris Sale.

contract vs pitcher performance/value easily one of the best pitching contracts out there for a team right now.

a 3rd nyc team? maybe mexico city? montreal? this fucking guy :jnc give you a tag "never let me run mlb, i have the worst ideas ever"

How is a third NYC team not a good idea? The population is there. The money is there. The space is there. Again, it's never happening, unless Apple or something decides they don't mind paying out billions and billions in compensation to the Yankees and Mets, but in isolation, it's by far the most viable market.

Where did Expo fans go? In the early and mid 80s they had several seasons where they were 2nd or 3rd in NL attendance. But after 1987 they had 0 seasons in the top 10 in NL attendance. So while Loria is complete shit and a scumbag, the attendance issues started before him for a good decade.

Not sure why they drew so poorly in 1987-1990, but from 1991 on, they were playing in a deathtrap. Olympic Stadium had a massive chunk of concrete fall from the ceiling, and it consistently had problems from that point on. On top of that, the place was/is a massive eyesore that's out in the middle of nowhere. If they were to get the downtown stadium people have been begging for for years, they'd draw.

zulux21

Not sure why they drew so poorly in 1987-1990, but from 1991 on, they were playing in a deathtrap. Olympic Stadium had a massive chunk of concrete fall from the ceiling, and it consistently had problems from that point on. On top of that, the place was/is a massive eyesore that's out in the middle of nowhere. If they were to get the downtown stadium people have been begging for for years, they'd draw.

now now wrigly field proves your stadium can be a run down death trap with chunks of concrete falling from the ceiling (yay nets to catch them) with rusted out pipes and everything else falling apart, and you can still draw a crowd... it's obviously just the location not the state of the stadium :p (or perhaps it's the whole cubs are the lovable losers that haven't won in over 100 years)

There would probably be a little more motivation to pay for an MLB stadium as opposed to a AAA one.

Okay but then you run into the other problem they had which was they couldn't find a spot anywhere in Portland that anyone would agree upon to build a new stadium. If they couldn't find space for a AAA stadium how will they find even more space for an MLB stadium?

Tim McCarver has signed a deal with FOX Sports Midwest that will see him in the booth for 30 Cardinals games in 2014. Sorry, Cards fans.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
3rd team in NYC. Destroy the new wtc and put one there facing the statue of liberty.

zulux21

3rd team in NYC. Destroy the new wtc and put one there facing the statue of liberty.

bleh... why not just 3 new teams in NYC then, moving the rays, jays, and orioles to NYC and just make it NYC vs boston in the AL East :/

aka screw new york I don't care if it could support another team there I don't want another team there, I can't think of any place I would want a new baseball team less than new york again :/ (new york has plenty to cheer at due to the yankees, and every once in a while the mets... lets give somewhere else some love)

edit: i just realized wtc = world trade center....
that's a tad in poor taste sir.

my thoughts stands though new york doesn't need another team as long as it has the yankees.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why are they protecting the stupid neighborhood call?

Because they don't want infielders getting their knees destroyed on takeout plays.

Of course they could just outlaw late slides like they will be outlawing home plate collisions but I guess they don't want to deal with that controversy of replaying neighborhood plays.

Friggz

How is a third NYC team not a good idea? The population is there. The money is there. The space is there. Again, it's never happening, unless Apple or something decides they don't mind paying out billions and billions in compensation to the Yankees and Mets, but in isolation, it's by far the most viable market.

yankees have territorial rights in NY..they didnt even want the mets.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I don't think people in Vancouver care about anything other than being smug about the weather. Also, I think Toronto and Seattle would both fight hard against a new team there.
No, people are extremely passionate about the Canucks. The White Caps are growing in interest and of course there's the BC Lions. Seattle might care, but nobody is really a Mariners fan here. Any Vancouver baseball team would have to pay Rogers (who owns the Blue Jays) to get their games on SportsNet so I don't think they would care. Toronto and Vancouver are very distinct culturally as well.

santeesioux

They tried that last time and the people were against it. Why would they change their mind 4 years later?

They won't, which is probably why we'll end up with a WNBA team or something just like when they tried to get an NHL team and ended up with an Arena Football team, or even when they lost a AAA team and got an MLS team.

sangreal

Because they don't want infielders getting their knees destroyed on takeout plays.

Of course they could just outlaw late slides like they will be outlawing home plate collisions but I guess they don't want to deal with that controversy of replaying neighborhood plays.

I'm also not a fan of eliminating the home plate collisions, but with regards to second basemen they can always just give up on the double play which is exactly what they do when they get the neighborhood call but we just give it to them anyway

Talon

No, people are extremely passionate about the Canucks. The White Caps are growing in interest and of course there's the BC Lions. Seattle might care, but nobody is really a Mariners fan here. Any Vancouver baseball team would have to pay Rogers (who owns the Blue Jays) to get their games on SportsNet so I don't think they would care. Toronto and Vancouver are very distinct culturally as well.
Had to Google the White Caps.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Clearly the real solution is to move the Mets to Florida and the Rays to NY.

Everybody wins. AL East rivalry intensifies some more. And there are more New York sports fans in Florida than actual Florida sports fans.

Hours after Friday's 1pm deadline for teams and players to swap arbitration figures, Braves GM Frank Wren just told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the Braves failed to come to agreements with Craig Kimbrel, Freddie Freeman, and Jason Heyward. The Braves will go to arbitration hearings with all three. It was reported earlier in the off season that the Braves attempted to negotiate multi-year extensions with all three players, but all three declined to go to the table with the Braves.

Kimbrel is projected to make a record-setting salary of at least $7 million in his first year of arbitration. He made $655,000 in 2013.

Freeman is projected to make around $5 million in his first year of arbitration. He made $560,000 in 2013.

Heyward is projected to make around $4.5 million in his second year of arbitration. He made $3.65 million in 2013.

The last time the Braves went to a hearing was with John Rocker in 2001. The Braves won the hearing.

In 2009, the Braves came to an agreement with Jeff Francoeur hours before he was to fly to Phoenix, AZ for an arbitration hearing. Following this, the Braves instituted a team policy of not negotiating with players after the salary-swap deadline.

The Braves came to agreements with its eight other arbitration eligible players: Brandon Beachy ($1.45 million), Chris Johnson ($4.75 million), Jonny Venters ($1.625 million), Jordan Walden ($1.49 million), Jordan Schafer ($1.09 million), Kris Medlen ($5.8 million), Mike Minor ($3.85 million), and Ramiro Pena ($0.55 million).

Which is why the Mets need to leave and bring the Dodgers back to Brooklyn. It's a better rivalry anyways.

The Dodgers have been in Los Angeles for 56 years. They were only in Brooklyn for 25*.

They aren't going back.

*Unless you count the years before they changed their name to the Dodgers, but honestly at that point you're going back to a time period when most people today weren't alive.

jakncoke

Banned

3 teams in one city seems terrible to me regardless if they could get supported. Also where is the space? But on the real, Why are we talking expansion :| there is enough teams as is and the pitching market already is expensive as fuck, cant imagine another 2 teams diluting the talent pool further just to give goddamn Montreal a team? fuck that noise. choke on poutine

aFIGurANT

Tim McCarver has signed a deal with FOX Sports Midwest that will see him in the booth for 30 Cardinals games in 2014. Sorry, Cards fans.

Time to update the OP - we all thought we were done with our favorite grandpa-figure. Not even sure why he would sign on for 30 games...it's like it's supposed to be special when he's on or something and while I don't hate the guy he is worse than what FSMW already has.

Top Bottom