• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2016 | Only thing worse than a Trump win is another Giants win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well clearly its more important that I'm able to enjoy the game at a convenient time.

That does suck for Dodger fans though. However, I think you could still find enough fans to fill Wrigley twice for a 5pm NLCS game.

There will be Dodgers fans at the games. We are many we are everywhere.

I've met many fans of AL teams who think the DH rule has no place in baseball, but I still haven't met a single fan of an NL team who thinks the DH should be adopted.

Those NL fans are obviously Trump supporters.

But hey, shitty pitcher at bats, amirite? Strategy and what not. Couldn't have something to do with owners depressing salaries and protecting NL pitcher ERAs. We get to see brilliant strikeouts and tough calls like removing pitchers with high pitch counts late in the game so an actual batter can take some swings.

27 outs is a bit easier when 3-4 of them are almost guaranteed.

The Beard

Those NL fans are obviously Trump supporters.

But hey, shitty pitcher at bats, amirite? Strategy and what not. Couldn't have something to do with owners depressing salaries and protecting NL pitcher ERAs. We get to see brilliant strikeouts and tough calls like removing pitchers with high pitch counts late in the game so an actual batter can take some swings.

27 outs is a bit easier when 3-4 of them are almost guaranteed.

Wrong. I guarantee Trump is pro DH and so are his supporters. Did you watch the Cubs/Giants series? The Cubs' pitchers were twice as productive at the plate then all of their position players. Giants pitchers also drove in some runs.

Friggz

Fuck that. This was proof of the superiority of NL rules. So much strategy and intensity. So many decisions and moves to make.

AL is fucking easy mode bullshit.

There is absolutely zero strategy involved in the double switch. Stop kidding yourself. Lmao at "intensity". I hate that baseball gives in to you casual fans.

A playoff series came down to a guy that had 10 at bats this year. Rallies and games shouldn't be decided by someone that pitches.

Beckx

poor Alemeth kicked out of the Giants club for compassion. RIP

Dodgers pitching is wrecked from the last few days so the Cubs fans must be licking their lips at this point.

i went to bed when Dusty used 5 pitchers in the 7th.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
ALCS:

Game 1: Friday, Oct. 14: Blue Jays at Indians, 8:08 p.m.
Game 2: Saturday, Oct. 15: Blue Jays at Indians, 4:08 p.m.
Game 3: Monday, Oct. 17: Indians at Blue Jays, 8:08 p.m.
Game 4: Tuesday, Oct. 18: Indians at Blue Jays, TBD
Game 5*: Wednesday, Oct. 19: Indians at Blue Jays, TBD
Game 6*: Friday, Oct. 21: Blue Jays at Indians, TBD
Game 7*: Saturday, Oct. 22: Blue Jays at Indians, TBD

NLCS:

Game 1: Dodgers at Cubs, Saturday, Oct. 15, 8 p.m.
Game 2: Dodgers at Cubs, Sunday, Oct. 16, 8 p.m.
Game 3: Cubs at Dodgers, Tuesday, Oct. 18, 8 p.m.
Game 4: Cubs at Dodgers, Wednesday, Oct. 19, 8 p.m.
Game 5 (if necessary): Cubs at Dodgers, Thursday, Oct. 20, 8 p.m.
Game 6 (if necessary): Dodgers at Cubs, Saturday, Oct. 22, Time TBD
Game 7 (if necessary): Dodgers at Cubs​, Sunday, Oct. 23, Time TBD

What will happen:Cubitos vs. Canadians

What I'm rooting for: The NL team wins the WS by default after a meteor destroys the Jays and Indians. Dont particularly care which NL team

Beckx

What will happen:Cubitos vs. Canadians

What I'm rooting for: The NL team wins the WS by default after a meteor destroys the Jays and Indians. Sont particularly care which NL team

double meteor please

i don't necessarily hate the dodgers but they cost me a bet in grade school so i kinda do.

bebop242

ALCS:

Game 1: Friday, Oct. 14: Blue Jays at Indians, 8:08 p.m.
Game 2: Saturday, Oct. 15: Blue Jays at Indians, 4:08 p.m.
Game 3: Monday, Oct. 17: Indians at Blue Jays, 8:08 p.m.
Game 4: Tuesday, Oct. 18: Indians at Blue Jays, TBD
Game 5*: Wednesday, Oct. 19: Indians at Blue Jays, TBD
Game 6*: Friday, Oct. 21: Blue Jays at Indians, TBD
Game 7*: Saturday, Oct. 22: Blue Jays at Indians, TBD

NLCS:

Game 1: Dodgers at Cubs, Saturday, Oct. 15, 8 p.m.
Game 2: Dodgers at Cubs, Sunday, Oct. 16, 8 p.m.
Game 3: Cubs at Dodgers, Tuesday, Oct. 18, 8 p.m.
Game 4: Cubs at Dodgers, Wednesday, Oct. 19, 8 p.m.
Game 5 (if necessary): Cubs at Dodgers, Thursday, Oct. 20, 8 p.m.
Game 6 (if necessary): Dodgers at Cubs, Saturday, Oct. 22, Time TBD
Game 7 (if necessary): Dodgers at Cubs​, Sunday, Oct. 23, Time TBD

According to MLB at bat, they have AL games 4 + 5 at 4pm as well, which is suprising to me. I know cubs and dodgers and all but still.

Raw64life

As a Mets fan I'm very happy that all evil has now been vanquished from the playoffs. I'll probably root for the Dodgers from here on out but I really don't mind any of these 4 teams winning it all.

thefro

According to MLB at bat, they have AL games 4 + 5 at 4pm as well, which is suprising to me. I know cubs and dodgers and all but still.

Cubs/Dodgers have two of the largest fanbases in baseball and it's US TV who determines the game times. So they don't really care about Canadian TV ratings.

Obviously with the Dodgers being on PST they want the games to start later anyway to get more of their fans watching.

Nationals are tainted by Strasburg

I would never have chosen Stras over Jordan Zimmerman personally. Stras is soft as fuck and I'd have taken Jordan and some awesome prospects to go with Max and Murphy and ridden that to the second round easily.

Caja 117

the "strategy" involved is so overrated. what it really amounts to is bumbling managers wasting all their players and then scrubs being involved in the most crucial plays of the season. wilmer difo with the season on the line, how fun.

Francisco Cabrera would like a word with you.

Baseballl is a 9 inning game.... why You dont go and Blame Murphy on that pop out in the previous at bat?

http://www.wbsc.org/news/canada-baseball-participation-popularity-rising-across-the-nation/

OTTAWA – Baseball Canada reported that over 120,000 Canadians engaged in baseball competitions in the country this summer — representing an increase of 14% from 2015.
Popularity and registration numbers increased in all 10 Canadian provinces, continuing on the 8% rise in 2015, the national governing body reported.
Baseball Canada launched its “Summer’s Perfect Game” project this year to promote baseball as the summer sport of choice for Canadians, and in April, the city of Montreal launched a blockbuster 10-year, $26 million baseball development “action plan” to promote the sport.
Canada’s National Baseball Teams have recently hit historical highs, at No. 2 in the WBSC Women’s Baseball World Rankings and No. 6 in the WBSC (Men’s/Youth) Baseball World Rankings.
The WBSC U-18 Baseball World Cup 2017 will be brought to Canada next September, when the city of Thunder Bay hosts the pinnacle youth international baseball competition.

Short article, but it's true. Most years, especially during the years were the Jays were bad and nobody gave a shit about baseball, the only place that was really picking up the slack in terms of baseball enrollment and interest was British Columbia. Still somewhat is, considering they are producing the lion's share of players, but baseball is on the up and up, and I hope Rogers recognizes this and continues to put money and effort into the Jays' winning ways, and not just giving pity points to Baseball Canada.

jman2050

The DH is a symbol of progress. A symbol of a sport adapting to the changing tides of the sports climate by providing an improved playing experience and an improved product to be watched.

Pitchers hitting is a relic of traditional times that has no place in today's world, an unnecessary holdover of a bygone era that does little to satisfy anyone except for those obsessed with 1920's era baseball.

The Beard

There is absolutely zero strategy involved in the double switch. Stop kidding yourself. Lmao at "intensity". I hate that baseball gives in to you casual fans.

A playoff series came down to a guy that had 10 at bats this year. Rallies and games shouldn't be decided by someone that pitches.

Lol

Spoken like a true casual fan. There's no strategy in a double switch? Smh

There's absolutely no strategy in finding a bat with no fielding skills and putting him in the DH spot.

Malo

Banned
Lol

Spoken like a true casual fan. There's no strategy in a double switch? Smh

There's absolutely no strategy in finding a bat with no fielding skills and putting him in the DH spot.
Casual? I must have missed you posting during the regular season.

Go DH!

Lmao, do people think nl baseball is like chess or something? 😂

It isn't.

This is one big dumb circlejerk. I like seeing pitchers hit, but only a certain few who actually know what they are doing. The rest look silly doing it and equals a free out.

Seriously, some of the responses in the last page and a half, even if joking, are mind bogglingly stupid. Are we seriously calling out people for being casuals just because they prefer no DH? Or vice versa? Jesus christ.

Well this is certainly the dumbest argument in the thread all season. Congrats fam we did it!

Can we please get back to arguments that matter?

Fuck ketchup.

Mortemis

Banned
^ketchup ain't so bad, corran changed my ways.

It isn't.

This is one big dumb circlejerk. I like seeing pitchers hit, but only a certain few who actually know what they are doing. The rest look silly doing it and equals a free out.

Seriously, some of the responses in the last page and a half, even if joking, are mind bogglingly stupid. Are we seriously calling out people for being casuals just because they prefer no DH? Or vice versa? Jesus christ.

I agree, I like seeing pitchers bat too, without it I'd miss moments like Felix hitting a grand slam. But circle jerks around double switches and stuff like that are annoying, especially when people start throwing around remarks like casual and easy mode.

norm9

The only reason the DH is around is because it gives out of shape ballplayers a "position" to play.

Up with ketchup. Down with fancy artisinal ketchup.

BFIB

How about this?

Old School knee high socks:

20100602-233758-pic-267060490_t607.jpg

Or long pants:

albert_pujols_5cr2ks1x_ygrr3h1z.jpg

lmao, are we going to throw around "casual fan" bullshit? how is it "giving in" when it was in the rules first? The DH is a concession to trying to attract fans (durr casual ones!) that wanna see more dingers and bigger numbers on the board. That's it. Meanwhile it's incredibly lame to have players that don't have to play defense. And while many pitchers are bad at hitting, it makes those that are decent at it even more valuable. Even Jansen, who NEVER hits, laid down a decent bunt last night. Everyone was contributing.

Saying there's zero strategy in a double switch kind of invalidates your opinion anyway though so whatever. The last batter Kershaw faced was only there because of a series of decisions made over the last several innings that compounded on each other.

If all people care about is getting the best hitters to the plate why not have the same 3 guys bat every inning. Imagine getting to see a great hitter like Bonds in his prime bat 9 times a game instead of 3. Just have 9 infielders on each team and a few hitters who you just cycle through, hell we could even have a bunch of little speedy guys who just run the basses for the hitters. They could just stand next to the batters box and take off whenever a ball is put in play.

norm9

How about this?

20100602-233758-pic-267060490_t607.jpg

Dislike the picture but I'm a fan of the knee highs. I also like tighter fitting uniforms. Not a fan when it balloons out like a blouse.

it's around because pitchers suck at hitting and it's boring to watch

6-7-8 in the lineup also kinda suck at hitting compared to the first four spots. I watched Hideo Nomo hit a homerun once. It was great.

How about this?

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/20100602-233758-pic-267060490_t607.jpg[img]

Or long pants:

[img]http://www.sportsonearth.com/assets/images/6/9/6/71460696/cuts/albert_pujols_5cr2ks1x_ygrr3h1z.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Knee high all-day every day.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
A joke I made a while back was: Astros Baseball or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Designated Hitter. I didn't like it at first (Mostly because the Astros were strongarmed into joining the AL in the first place.), but I'm fine with it.

I joke around when I call it "Mickey Mouse Baseball", I'm just talking shit, because that's what I do, and it was an odd transition. (Though I'm sure the Brewers went through the opposite).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom