• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Beckx

yea if bagwell was juicing everyone was.

he never had ridiculous standout season from the entirety of the rest of his career. His head didnt become gigantic. his only suspicion comes from playing in the same era as bonds, mcgwire and sosa.

if it suddenly comes out tomorrow that he took steroids, is his career somehow totally undermined? is he a bad person that you have to hate just because of that?

no. but according to MLB culture you have to hate him, he's a cheater, and all his stats magically become meaningless.

it's shit. fans are still in thrall to magical thinking.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
if it suddenly comes out tomorrow that he took steroids, is his career somehow totally undermined? is he a bad person that you have to hate just because of that?

no. but according to MLB culture you have to hate him, he's a cheater, and all his stats magically become meaningless.

it's shit. fans are still in thrall to magical thinking.
you're making assumptions about me.

My two problems from my post that you quoted, that i elaborated on, were 1) The media who were the ones driving the PED scarlet letter now give Arod a job in the media.
2) Frank Thomas talking shit about Bagwell, when he doesnt even know Bagwell, never played with him, never even played in the same league as him.

I dont particularly care about PED use. I think there are instances where it should be allowed.

Beckx

you're making assumptions about me.

My two problems from my post that you quoted, that i elaborated on, were 1) The media who were the ones driving the PED scarlet letter now give Arod a job in the media.
2) Frank Thomas talking shit about Bagwell, when he doesnt even know Bagwell, never played with him, never even played in the same league as him.

I dont particularly care about PED use. I think there are instances where it should be allowed.

"Dude was a cheater and by all accounts a bad teammate" didn't really convey that sentiment!

dickroach

5000x5000.jpg

MVP

I feel strangely confident that the Yankees will hit Kluber around tonight. Just wishful thinking. This could get ugly, lol.

People on social media were slamming Joe for starting Gray. Why? You don't win a single game without scoring a run so what does it even matter?

dickroach

the legit is answer "hope he doesn't choke when he comes in in the 6th inning"

edit:
he had five appearances in September
1) pitched the 7th and 8th innings
2) pitched most of the 5th, the 6th and the 7th
3) pitched one out in the 6th and the 7th
4) pitched 2 outs in the 6th and the 7th
5) pitched the 7th

8.2 IP, 0R, 3H, 13Ks, 2BBs

Sanjuro

the legit is answer "hope he doesn't choke when he comes in in the 6th inning"

edit:
he had five appearances in September
1) pitched the 7th and 8th innings
2) pitched most of the 5th, the 6th and the 7th
3) pitched one out in the 6th and the 7th
4) pitched 2 outs in the 6th and the 7th
5) pitched the 7th

8.2 IP, 0R, 3H, 13Ks, 2BBs

My god. Is that...is that Andrew Miller?!

captive

"Dude was a cheater and by all accounts a bad teammate" didn't really convey that sentiment!
Well if you looked like 5 posts later...

He still was a cheater, the current rules forbid PED use, ergo he broke the rules ergo he was a cheater.

Beckx

Well if you looked like 5 posts later...

He still was a cheater, the current rules forbid PED use, ergo he broke the rules ergo he was a cheater.

man, this to me is the worst example of how shitty MLB's Scarlet Letter culture about PEDs is: Your Guy Was Caught, He's a Cheater, My Guy Was Suspected But Not Caught, He's Clean and Awesome

I wouldn't count them out because the Yankees have been surprising all year but wow did the Indians look good tonight. Truly showing up as the best team in AL. Yankees pitching needs to be perfect if they are going to win. Gray unsurprising was not able to match Bauer.

And if you look at the history of the past year, the Yankees can't hit off Indians pitching.

Yankees have some talent, no doubt.. but what good is the power bats if you can't connect with the ball??

captive

Oh good AJ Perzinski, over under innings till he mentions 2005 world series or they show highlights from it?

captive

man, this to me is the worst example of how shitty MLB's Scarlet Letter culture about PEDs is: Your Guy Was Caught, He's a Cheater, My Guy Was Suspected But Not Caught, He's Clean and Awesome
So your ok with cheating, even with people that got caught?

Like I said there are instances where PED use should be allowed. The problem is right now its not fair to the guys who are doing it clean.

This is probably going to sound weird, but I love the overlay that Fox is using for the score bug and stats presentation. I only wish it was a tad smaller, but other than that, it's really good. No score ticker is also very much appreciated.

Final score predictions from tonight's Yankess - Indians game?

Can NYY knock Klubot out early somehow? If so, what batters are most likely to do it?

Beckx

So your ok with cheating, even with people that got caught?

no, but I think MLB is the worst in how it's handled, and how as a result a lot of fans view it. i think Bonds is one of the best, if not the best, to ever play the game and PEDs don't represent very many (if any at all) of his record HR season. I think PED use can be very dangerous for the player's health and MLB looking the other way for decades was inexcusable. I think MLB got very very scared by how Congress reacted, and the commission, and so pursued a strategy to make PED use the Greatest Crime Imaginable, whereas in other leagues it's not. The same events, and the MLB stance, affected how MLB fans react to PEDs. it gets really dumb when you see Arod get tarred for cheating and a guy who wasn't caught but dogged by rumors treated as no problem. i think it's really awful to hear people call Starling Marte a "cheater" and blame his struggles on "being off the PEDs" and write off everything he did before it. I think baseball fans in the US suck a lot of the time.

Beckx

Verlander and Bauer got rocked yesterday?

The five "hottest" (by 538 metrics analyzing increases in fastball speed, a metric that has in the past correlated to pitching well in playoffs, e.g. Bumgarner) were Sale, Keuchel, Lackey, Hendricks, and Severino, in that order. It doesn't go past those 5.

The 5 "cold" (lost velocity) are Santana, Hill, Kershaw, Scherzer, and, uh, Pomeranz.

It's a good article, but as the author noted, the performance of Sale and Severino kinda blew it out of the water.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-greatness-and-we-know-who-could-be-next/amp/

a hot pitcher going against a cold pitcher has correlated to a 8% difference in win expectancy, better than the benefit of home field. that would bode well for the Astros today.

Toth

If the Yankees lose today, Severino needs to start tomorrow. They can’t let that kid go into the off season thinking only about his wild card game meltdown.

Top Bottom