• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

TS-08

what important categories exactly?

wOBA, wRC+, fWAR. Altuve plays a more important position, but is relatively worse at it. Altuve is really only a much better base runner, but that isn't enough to make him a better overall player.

And bear in mind I think Altuve is a worthy candidate and I can understand if he wins. But Judge was better.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Altuve was consistently great so that is a major plus for him. Judge was amazing the first half, garbage (average) for a quarter and then amazing for the last quarter. He ended up with better numbers than Altuve but I think the long stretch of sucking and the mountain pile of Ks will keep him from winning the MVP.

Joe

I'M NOT SAYING THE YANKEES WILL LOSE THE DIVISION SERIES

But if they do...it will be a lot easier to swallow if the Red Sox lose their series too.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
lol they walked Altuve. Smart move by the Sox, even though now they get Correa to deal with

one of the rare times thats actually paid off. Selection bias but i feel like correa has made teams pay more often than not when they've walked altuve to get to him.

Blame the guy who turned this into an Altuve v. Judge pissfest, then backed up his assertion with "batting average."

In what universe is batting average not one of the most important statistics in baseball?
And Judge had 208 strikeouts this season compared to Altuve's 84 strikeouts. Altuve is MVP.

TS-08

In what universe is batting average not one of the most important statistics in baseball?
And Judge had 208 strikeouts this season compared to Altuve's 84 strikeouts. Altuve is MVP.

I'm not going to bother getting into this with you. I've already cited some better stats. But God forbid I get accused of turning this into a "sabermetrics jizzfest" because you want to make your case based on strikeouts.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
who had the fifth inning for AJ Perizinksi to mention the 2005 world series?

also they forced us to leave the roof open during the WS, so not sure what he's smoking.

JoseDFrog

Banned
I'm not going to bother getting into this with you. I've already cited some better stats. But God forbid I get accused of turning this into a "sabermetrics jizzfest" because you want to make your case based on strikeouts.

You can still beat him with regular ass counting stats like OBP, runs scored, home runs, rbis, xbase hits, walks... Although none if it means shit since the voters only care about the narrative.

TS-08

You can still beat him with regular ass counting stats like OBP, runs scored, home runs, rbis, xbase hits, walks...

I did cite OBP to someone else. But the other stats will just get countered with some argument that Altuve is a better "all-around hitter", like what happened in that Judge thread in OT. I also don't really want to cite to some of those.

When do pitchers and catchers report?
You can still beat him with regular ass counting stats like OBP, runs scored, home runs, rbis, xbase hits, walks... Although none if it means shit since the voters only care about the narrative.
I did cite OBP to someone else. But the other stats will just get countered with some argument that Altuve is a better "all-around hitter", like what happened in that Judge thread in OT. I also don't really want to cite to some of those.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

clemenx

Banned
I know this is the internet and we have to act like everything is black or white but this year it is pretty easy to say that there's no wrong choice for the AL MVP... It's boring and discussion is fun but neither choice would be a disgrace.

Line_HTX

Apart from Astros-GAF, there's a lot to like about Houston. Still pulling for Bosox.

image.php

There was a Yankees fan a few days back that argued that consistency does not matter though.

Judge may lead Altuve in most categories but the margin is slim. The categories Altuve leads Judge in (Batting Average, strikeouts, steals) Altuve leads by a massive margin. If Judge had his BA up to even .300, he would be MVP. But its not.

Bsigg12

That last ball to Ramirez was a strike last inning. Angel Hernandez is a joke of a home plate ump. He's so inconsistent with his strkezones, I don't understand how he got this game or any game in the playoffs.

TS-08

Judge may lead Altuve in most categories but the margin is slim. The categories Altuve leads Judge in (Batting Average, strikeouts, steals) Altuve leads by a massive margin. If Judge had his BA up to even .300, he would be MVP. But its not.

Judge has a higher OBP. Why does the batting average matter?

I don't find the consistency argument very availing because, to the point that it affects a player's overall value, it would ultimately be reflected in the stats. The fact that he was so good the rest of the season to still be better than Altuve in those stats means he has overcome that issue enough. For me anyway. I also simply think Judge meant more to his team's playoffs chances than Altuve did, although I consider that a small factor.

Judge has a higher OBP. Why does the batting average matter?

I don't find the consistency argument very availing because, to the point that it affects a player's overall value, it would ultimately be reflected in the stats. The fact that he was so good the rest of the season to still be better than Altuve in those stats means he has overcome that issue enough. For me anyway. I also simply think Judge meant more to his team's playoffs chances than Altuve did, although I consider that a small factor.

OBP isn't nearly as important because a fielders choice counts towards your OBP. I wonder how many times Judge has been on base thanks to hitting into a fielders choice

Top Bottom