• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

cashman

Banned
With Elvis Andrus locked down for another 8 years with his contract extension I was fine having Leury Garcia as a backup.

You always hear that Kinsler will be moved to OF but it doesn't happen so whats the point in keeping Profar? You can't move Elvis anywhere else if Kinsler is at 2B.

Instead Jon Daniels made desperation trades all fucking season long giving up more than he got when other franchises knew he was desperate. Rather than being smart and cashing in his chips at the right time.

They traded Mike Olt in the Garza trade who was a pretty good backup 1B/3B. Baker not that good at 3B. So now as Rangers fans we gotta watch Beltre hobble around the bases at the end of the season cause there's no one to give him a night off.

The Rangers have fucking mirrored the Mavericks for the last 2 years. Hobbling into the playoffs being a one and done team a year after being in the championship. Then trying to limp into the playoffs at the last minute and failing the year after.

So would I trade Profar to get the pieces I need to elevate a slightly above average team? Hell fucking yes.

BTW I hope the Rangers resign Lance Berkman that way after he gets hurt from falling in the shower 20 games in they can put a big fucking BB on the back of his jersey.

/rant off gratz rays
1. There's probably going to be a change with Kinsler now that the possibility that Murphy and Moreland won't be starters anymore.

2. No Baker wasn't good at 3rd this year, but his hitting was more than adequate to be the backup for a few games. And besides Profar spelled him at 3rd quite a few times.

3. Mike Olt was hit like shit in the minors this year. He wouldn't have been an upgrade over Baker.

4. Again you've reached an even lower level of dumb if you think the Rangers are in the same position the Mavs are in lolololol.

5. Bolded: That's pretty contradictory. It's pretty fucking desperate to trade one of the best trading chips in baseball for a not that huge upgrade. It was dumb when the Royals traded him for Myers. Even dumber if the Rangers did it for Profar.

1. There's probably going to be a change with Kinsler now that the possibility that Murphy and Moreland won't be starters anymore.

2. No Baker wasn't good at 3rd this year, but his hitting was more than adequate to be the backup for a few games. And besides Profar spelled him at 3rd quite a few times.

3. Mike Olt was hit like shit in the minors this year. He wouldn't have been an upgrade over Baker.

4. Again you've reached an even lower level of dumb if you think the Rangers are in the same position the Mavs are in lolololol.

5. Bolded: That's pretty contradictory. It's pretty fucking desperate to trade one of the best trading chips in baseball for a not that huge upgrade. It was dumb when the Royals traded him for Myers. Even dumber if the Rangers did it for Profar.

1. Radio personalities and beat writes said the same thing last year and it didn't happen. I don't see why that would change. Gentry will take LF, Martin in CF, and Rios at RF. This isn't addressing the issue at all especially if Nelson Cruz is re signed, but he may be re signed as DH. I don't see Rios or Martin taking back up spots.

2. Baker can DH but I don't trust Profar at 3B.

3.I'll give you that on Olt but Grimm was an unknown with his age.

Care too elaborate on Number 4? The mavs were 8 seed in 2012, the rangers hobbled into the wildcard. While the regular seasons may have had different ups and downs the end result is fairly similar. The same goes for the mavs 2012-2013 season and the rangers season this year. Although the mavs ended up slightly worse they were going for a late 8 seed push. If you read I've said they've mirrored each other for the past two seasons.

5. Will Myers may have been rated as a lower prospect than Profar but you can't argue that Myers' hitting numbers for the season are much better Profar's.

edit whoops

BPro thinks the Dodgers will sweep..
ChipperJones.gif

Little known fact. I made the GIF and it is from a Braves game in LA.

ToxicAdam

I completely shut the game off after the 7th. It was too much disappointment for one man to bear.

Kind of sucks that the Indians two free agent acquisitions were the ones who choked the most when the team needed them.

Not that it mattered really. This team wasn't going to get past the Red Sox THEN the Tigers (most likely). Both teams handled the Indians pretty well during the regular season.

ToxicAdam

I don't understand why the Dodgers are the favorites. I guess they are all just betting on Kershaw to win 2 games?

I think the series is a coin flip. Could very easily see the Braves run off three straight wins. Once they get a lead in the late innings, it's ovah.

turnbuckle

I read something a guy posted on another forum regarding the Tiger's pitching staff.

- The Tigers have 3 of the top 4 pitchers WAR in the AL.

- Doug Fister, our #4 starter, has a higher WAR (8th in AL) than any other AL pitcher in the playoffs.

In other words, Oakland in 3.

I don't understand why the Dodgers are the favorites. I guess they are all just betting on Kershaw to win 2 games?

I think the series is a coin flip. Could very easily see the Braves run off three straight wins. Once they get a lead in the late innings, it's ovah.
LA has the best rotation in the NL playoffs. The injuries to Kemp/Ethier complicate things though.

harSon

Banned
I wish I still lived in the East Coast :( I work until 6 today, so I'm reduced to watching the game from Box Score/Game Cast....

cashman

Banned
Care too elaborate on Number 4? The mavs were 8 seed in 2012, the rangers hobbled into the wildcard. While the regular seasons may have had different ups and downs the end result is fairly similar. The same goes for the mavs 2012-2013 season and the rangers season this year. Although the mavs ended up slightly worse they were going for a late 8 seed push. If you read I've said they've mirrored each other for the past two seasons.

5. Will Myers may have been rated as a lower prospect than Profar but you can't argue that Myers' hitting numbers for the season are much better Profar's.

edit whoops
The Rangers have a significantly better roster composition then the Mavs do. The mavs have been in a complete mess roster wise with a bunch of old guys in one year deals, while the Rangers have pretty much their entire starting rotation locked up for the next few years and need to add a few bats to jump for maybe an 85 win team next year to a 90+ win team.

As for Myers vs Profar. At the time Profar was 2 years younger and played better defense than Myers at a premium defensive position. The sustained major league success has obviously boosted Myers' value.

Jrmint

What scenario do you guys think needs to happen for the Pirates to win this series?

I'd say they need to win 1 of 2 in StL and then win both in Pittsburgh. I'd say any other scenario the Cards win the series.

Shouldn't be too tough to win both in Pittsburgh since probably Liriano and Cole will pitch those games.

I feel good about STL's chance to kick some ass in the playoffs, what with the most insane clutch hitting ever from 2011 and the awesome infield fly rule to boot. Now, if they could just manage to win once they're up 3-1 in a series and we'd be good to go.

Kingbrave

I'm so pumped up for the game tonight. So much better than the wild card game from last year. Wish I didn't live 5 hours away. Hell, I'd drive anyway except epilepsy...fuckers!

I feel good about STL's chance to kick some ass in the playoffs, what with the most insane clutch hitting ever from 2011 and the awesome infield fly rule to boot. Now, if they could just manage to win once they're up 3-1 in a series and we'd be good to go.
Question marks about the starting pitching after Wainwright, the lack of HR power in our lineup, mediocre defense outside of Yadi, and the craptastic bench are all reasons to worry.

Shouldn't be too tough to win both in Pittsburgh since probably Liriano and Cole will pitch those games.
It sounds like Cole is pitching Game 2 and Morton is lined up for Game 4.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Why is Freddy Garcia set to start a playoff game in 2013? Braves better hope they're sweeping lolol.

I mean, it starts with no Tim Hudson and no Brandon Beachy obviously. Paul Maholm probably isn't any better than Garcia at this point, and he might even be worse. Alex Wood would have been the dude, but (a) he's probably reached his innings limit and (b) they need a second LHP in the bullpen. So that leaves... Freddy Garcia and David Hale (who is on the playoff roster). I'd personally go with Hale, but Fredi has a fetish for playoff experience, due to his discussions with other managers, especially Bill Belichick.

And so here we are.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
McCovey Chronicles' playoff rooting guide for Giants fans

10. Dodgers
Not an option to have them anywhere else. Not an option.
You can't pull the "if the Red Sox" card or "National League is" on this. No, no, no, no, no.

9. Cardinals
Let me check if … yep, Matt Holiday is still on the team. And … right, right, Jose Oquendo is still a coach. Really, the Cardinals are going to be around for the next decade, and eventually they'll win it all. So root against them when you have the chance.

8. Red Sox
A Red Sox/Cardinals World Series is almost my worst fear because a) we've seen it before, and recently, and b) I dislike both teams equally.
Not enough to froth at the mouth. Not enough to sneer at people who wear the caps of either team. Just a low-grade annoyance, for the most part.

The Red Sox have won two Series recently, so they fail the at-least-I'd-be-happy-for-their-fans test.

7. Braves
Strong field of annoying teams if the Braves are just #7.
I remember the fair-weather Braves fans at Candlestick when I was growing up. Funny how they weren't there in the '80s, but in the '90s they would take over the ballpark. Scarring. And there's 1993 to think about, too.

That's before you get into the whole Paul Blart, Unwritten Rules Cop persona of the current team. And I don't like that Andrelton Simmons is going to keep Brandon Crawford from ever winning a Gold Glove. And I don't like that Craig Kimbrel is so good. And I don't like the stink of Chipper Jones wafting about the entire organization.

And that chant. Oh, god, that chant.

Without Victorino, the Red Sox move up a spot. The Braves are pretty gross. The most important part of them not winning, too, is that it tickles me that the 2010-2012 Giants combined for more championships than the Braves from 1991 through 2005. Just tickles me.

6. Reds
This is purely a function of Mat Latos and the relative likeability of the teams ahead of them.
I still like Dusty Baker, even though I still wake up in the middle of the night screaming, "BUNT, BUNT, GET DOWN, BUNT, BUNT, TAKE MARK GARDNER OUT, LEAVE RUSS ORTIZ IN, IT'S A BUNT, BUNT, BUNT, BUNT, BUNT."

So I like a lot of things about the Reds, and they've had an underrated run of pain, too. They've won just one playoff series since 1990. I wouldn't be crushed to see them with a little success.

Mat Latos, though.

5. Rays
I … I just don't like the Rays that much.

I used to. They're smart. They do more with less. They're fantastically inventive with how they build a roster.

But it's hard to cobble a list together of individual Rays that I like. Evan Longoria and David Price, sure. Ben Zobrist hasn't done anything to actively offend me, I guess. Sam Fuld's neat. But when I look at the Rays, I see Josh Lueke, Delmon Young, Luke Scott, and Fernando Rodney. Wil Myers already annoys me like I thought Bryce Harper would. Is that Ryan Roberts? Goodness.

That's not enough to make me dislike the entire organization or how it was constructed, so I could root for the Rays in the World Series without holding my nose. If they won, it would actually be a fantastic story of brains over resources. And they were also kind enough to see something in Tim Beckham in 2008. So I could be okay with the Rays. Just not ahead of the other teams.

4. Tigers

They really did us a solid back there, guys. And they're also one of the reasons the Padres don't have a title. The city of Detroit could use a little pick-me-up, and it's not like the Tigers have one in a while. Sure, they've spent their way to the top, for the most part, but that can't be the only consideration. I didn't dislike the Tigers last year, and I'm kinda pulling for them now.

3. A's
Imagine Bud Selig presenting the trophy at O.co
, though. Someone on my Facebook feed mentioned this, and I can't get it out of my head. The boos, oh, man, the boos. It would be glorious.

2. Indians

It takes one hell of a drought to put a team in front of the A's, but the Indians are one of two teams that qualify. The last time the Indians won the World Series was before Willie Mays made The Catch. That's a long time. Children born after the last Indians Championship are collecting Social Security now.

Kinda have to pull for Scott Kazmir, too. He's the Ryan Vogelsong of the American League.

1. Pirates
This is also not an option. Of course you're rooting for the Pirates. National League, long drought, long history of unwittingly helping the Giants.

Z5zHhXQ.png

It's been a long time since 1972, everyone. The Pirates would be #1 on this list in a field of 29.

Raise the Jolly Roger.

But for the next week, I think I'm a bigger Braves fan than anything else. Everything else is secondary. Go Uptons, go.

So much for Cleveland and Cincy.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Someone explain to me why postseason.tv is working on my phone app but they want me to pay $5 to use it on a laptop?

Wish I wasn't fucking stuck at work until 9pm. I love the fact the Pirates are back in the playoffs and want to watch all their shit.

Top Bottom