• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemax

Banned
Well you can play a game under protest, but I've never seen one of those where MLB actually decided to uphold the protest and enforce the rule.

Jubs

nathan.gif

#robotumps

Link

The Autumn Wind
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkmets&id=64008

PHILADELPHIA -- Terry Collins pulled out from the desk in the visiting manager’s office at Citizens Bank Park a white envelope with the words “IN ESCROW” handwritten on it.

“I’ve got it right here,” the manager said.

Collins had fined Matt Harvey $250 for a late ballpark arrival and good-naturedly offered to return the money if Harvey blanked the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday night.

Harvey surrendered one run in seven innings.

The manager offered the money back anyway.

Harvey declined.

“I gave up a run,” Harvey said after the Mets beat Philadelphia 7-2. “I told him I didn’t want it. I didn’t live up to what was going on. He keeps it. He can take his wife out to dinner or whatever. I think he was going to double it if I went nine, so I was trying.”

Said Collins: “In escrow. It’s accruing interest as we speak. He’s not going to get it today, but I’m not going to spend it. I know that. He’ll get it one of these days, I’ll tell you that. He deserves it. That’s a tough lineup to get through, especially when he didn’t have his best stuff.”

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
So Mike Zunino is currently batting .533 with a 2.023 OPS.

15 AB's ... 3 HR's in Triple A.

See ya soon buddy.

How nice will that be if he can take over full time at C.. Maybe start working Jesus to first.. Or the bench

zulux21

So which team will have the most shutouts by the end of the season, the Marlins or the Astros? So far, they have three each.

Astros are likely going to set the team strike out record this year, which won't lead to many runs.

Marlins have this kid named Giancarlo Stanton who seems to be pretty good. now if stanton is traded sometime this year I might have to change my thoughts, but given the marlins at least have someone the average baseball fan would call an above average hitter (stanton) and he also happens to be a guy who will by himself keep a shut out from happening at least 30 times this year, I am going to have to go with the astros will be shut out more. (also in general I know more of the names on the marlins line up than the astros, though in general I don't know if any of the young talent is known to be able to hit well.)

alstein

Astros are likely going to set the team strike out record this year, which won't lead to many runs.

Marlins have this kid named Giancarlo Stanton who seems to be pretty good. now if stanton is traded sometime this year I might have to change my thoughts, but given the marlins at least have someone the average baseball fan would call an above average hitter (stanton) and he also happens to be a guy who will by himself keep a shut out from happening at least 30 times this year, I am going to have to go with the astros will be shut out more. (also in general I know more of the names on the marlins line up than the astros, though in general I don't know if any of the young talent is known to be able to hit well.)

The Braves are likely to set their team record, and they'll score a ton of runs. Strikeouts aren't much worse than other forms of outs, and are better than double plays.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Stanton has no protection and is going to be pitched around a lot. I doubt he'll be putting up big numbers this season.

EDIT - I agree that it will probably be the Astros, but just pointing that out.

bluemax

Banned
Courtesy Jeff Sullivan:

2013 Houston Astros 239 PA 82 strikeouts.

1992-1996 Tony Gwynn 2653 PA 86 strikeouts.

Stanton has no protection and is going to be pitched around a lot. I doubt he'll be putting up big numbers this season.

EDIT - I agree that it will probably be the Astros, but just pointing that out.

Line up protection is completely meaningless.

nathan.gif

#robotumps

Looking at the GIF, it was closer to a strike than I had remembered. But don't take that the wrong way, I remembered it basically rolling past the plate.

Tech-assisted umps. Umps get the call from the tech, but announce the call in the traditional way. That's what I would like to see in the distant future.

jakncoke

Banned
woot we won, sucks i fell asleep in the 6th. stupid west coast road trip start times.

edit; team batting average up to .126!

Talon

MLBGaf, im heading to Wrigley in May to watch the Reds take on the cubs. Is stubhub/craigslist my best bet for tickets, also tips on where to sit/avoid in Wrigley?
There are websites that tell you where the old columns are.

Personally, there are no bad seats in that park outside of behind those columns. I prefer sitting either in the infield reserve or the first row of the deck in the infield along the first or third base lines.

Stubhub will be a good bet. I've gotten great seats in recent shitty Cub years for $25-35/seat.

Looking at the GIF, it was closer to a strike than I had remembered. But don't take that the wrong way, I remembered it basically rolling past the plate.

Tech-assisted umps. Umps get the call from the tech, but announce the call in the traditional way. That's what I would like to see in the distant future.

The perspective of the camera makes it look closer than it is. If you were looking at it straight on like the pitcher or catcher - whose body language said it was an obvious ball - you probably wouldn't have the same opinion.

The margin of error for PitchFX is one inch and is measured as it crosses the front of the plate. It's far more reliable than our eyes are.

MLBGaf, im heading to Wrigley in May to watch the Reds take on the cubs. Is stubhub/craigslist my best bet for tickets, also tips on where to sit/avoid in Wrigley?
Scorebig.com a nice site man. Check it out. Only thing u cant pick exaclty where you want to seat. Its done by different tiers.

eznark

Banned
Don't buy tickets beforehand for a Cubs game in May. There are plenty of scalpers and tickets get real cheap real fast, especially if you want good seats. If you feel like you absolutely have to sit in the bleachers then that might be something worth going online for and paying the convenience tax.

I turned off the Cards game around the 7th inning to go to the gym. Caught the post game on the radio on my drive home... Literally said "wtf" when I heard the line score. Damn Reds.

Also, with the right sunlight, a good strikeout pitcher could break the single game SO record facing the Kstros this season. It'd be the perfect storm scenario.

Syrinx

So which team will have the most shutouts by the end of the season, the Marlins or the Astros? So far, they have three each.

I'm a little alarmed that the Mets allowed the Marlins to score 13 runs on them in the three game set. I realize we didn't exactly have studs going (unless you want to count Niese, since he's the team's Opening Day starter and the best we have not named Matt Harvey), but they've scored 1 run in the games not against us. That's...troubling.

Talon

Don't buy tickets beforehand for a Cubs game in May. There are plenty of scalpers and tickets get real cheap real fast, especially if you want good seats. If you feel like you absolutely have to sit in the bleachers then that might be something worth going online for and paying the convenience tax.
This is probably sound advice. I never bought from scalpers when I was living in Chicago because I'm an OCD planner, and I want to always know exactly where we're sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom