• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering, with Motte being shut down until May and Tommy John looking likely for him, if the Cards will try to sign Brian Wilson. Wouldn't have to hand him the 9th right away and he might bring some stability to the pen. Some people on the Cards site are saying to bring up Wacha which would be absolutely insane.
Insane in terms of starting his service clock early? Yep.

But from what I've heard, he has the stuff to be a lights out reliever at the major league level right now. His fastball command and changeup are really good and you don't need more than two plus pitches to thrive in the bullpen. It just doesn't make much sense since we have a lot of relief pitchers we can put in that spot without screwing with a potential future starter's service clock.

I don't know if Brian Wilson is healthy but a flyer can't hurt.

eznark

Banned
COhCZ.gif

Wait, why is Brian Wilson a free agent anyway?

Shit, get him Cards. He has the beard that goes so well with the rest of the beards the Cardinals have sported on-and-off over the last few seasons.

New Safeco is a launching pad. EIGHT homers in that game. That's gotta be a park record. AA pitching probably helped out a bit.

edit: I guess it wasn't a park record

And Safeco Field itself, in the second game with its new outfield dimensions, hosted eight homers in all -- the third most in a single game in the history of the ballyard.

Marlins attendance last night: 14,222
Mariners attendance last night: 10,745

andycapps

Anybody worried about Kimbrel? Or is this just early season jitters? He got rocked in the WBC, and hasn't been his normal unhittable self lately. He's gotten out of the jams, but made it more interesting than it should be. Seems to not have his control at the time. I feel like he's probably okay, but he's got to work out some jitters. Hope Freddy didn't kill his arm already.

Also, I feel pretty good with the lineup the Braves have now. Gattis is killing it, and Pena is clutch off the bench. Laird has been solid as well. Johnson is still a great utility guy. J Upton is obviously killing it and BJ is doing a little better now. It's just a totally different feel than in previous years, we have a powerful lineup but there are a lot of strikeouts there. Which is fine, it's just not typical for us. I feel like we should be pretty solid throughout the year when J Upton hits an inevitable slump and then others can come out of theirs. We should have enough good bats that when some are in a slump, others are on fire.

Thoughts?

eznark

Banned
Seems like its a release point issue. He has dropped way down and also sort of abandoned his curveball. Should be pretty easy to fix.

andycapps

Seems like its a release point issue. He has dropped way down and also sort of abandoned his curveball. Should be pretty easy to fix.

True, his delivery seems a bit off. I noticed that on a couple pitches that were big mistakes last night. Hopefully McDowell can get him sorted out. Maybe he's overanalyzing things and trying to fix what wasn't broken.

alstein

Anybody worried about Kimbrel? Or is this just early season jitters? He got rocked in the WBC, and hasn't been his normal unhittable self lately. He's gotten out of the jams, but made it more interesting than it should be. Seems to not have his control at the time. I feel like he's probably okay, but he's got to work out some jitters. Hope Freddy didn't kill his arm already.

Also, I feel pretty good with the lineup the Braves have now. Gattis is killing it, and Pena is clutch off the bench. Laird has been solid as well. Johnson is still a great utility guy. J Upton is obviously killing it and BJ is doing a little better now. It's just a totally different feel than in previous years, we have a powerful lineup but there are a lot of strikeouts there. Which is fine, it's just not typical for us. I feel like we should be pretty solid throughout the year when J Upton hits an inevitable slump and then others can come out of theirs. We should have enough good bats that when some are in a slump, others are on fire.

Thoughts?

IT's probably a slump. I think he's more structurally sound than Venters- so I don't think it's his arm.
He'll probably never repeat last year, that was historic, but he can still be Billy Wagner good.

Gattis will likely cool off 2nd half of the season when folks start to gameplan for him.

tc farks

Axford is just following the Kolb/Turnbow/Cordero Brewers' closer path of coming out of nowhere to dominate for a year or two and then fade back into obscurity. It's Henderson's turn to continue the cycle.

eznark

Banned
Axford is just following the Kolb/Turnbow/Cordero Brewers' closer path of coming out of nowhere to dominate for a year or two and then fade back into obscurity. It's Henderson's turn to continue the cycle.

100% agree and honestly, it's fine as long as they recognize it early. Axford has an option left, it's mind boggling that he hasn't be sent down yet. Send him to A ball to try and reinvent himself, develop a change up, etc.

I'd bring up Burgos to be the bridge guy. He can easily make it through an order, has a ton of pitches and has dominated for the better part of a year.

Digging into Axford on BB.net is amazing. In six at bats this season when the batter has gotten to 2 balls (regardless of strikes) Axford has only thrown a non-fastball ONCE. The fuck?

Wait, why is Brian Wilson a free agent anyway?

Shit, get him Cards. He has the beard that goes so well with the rest of the beards the Cardinals have sported on-and-off over the last few seasons.
Yea he is. Threw twice for the Mets in the offseason wasnt ready. Said he will throw for teams once he feels 100%. Most likely early May.

Sanjuro

Wade Boggs is bitter that his number hasn't been officially retired yet. Not sure if want...

I mean, it's up there for the Devil Rays. What more do you want!?

andycapps

IT's probably a slump. I think he's more structurally sound than Venters- so I don't think it's his arm.
He'll probably never repeat last year, that was historic, but he can still be Billy Wagner good.

Gattis will likely cool off 2nd half of the season when folks start to gameplan for him.

I agree on both. Gattis is doing great now because nobody knows who he is and they'll make adjustments for him. Hopefully he has enough baseball IQ to adapt to opposing pitching. Everything he's shown seems to indicate a high baseball IQ in that he's risen so quickly through the minors.

Exactly. As long as there's still ore left in the weirdo/Canadian closer mine they keep going back to, it's fine. I only wish that Melvin traded them all before they blew up. Because they always blow up.

Sanjuro

I find it strange when a player comes out and says he wants a team to retire his jersey.

Uhh, that's not your call.

Lou Merloni should have his #26 retired first anyway.

I'm still pissed about Rocket though. I've wanted his retired for some time now. Never been issued since.

Brinbe

According to Wilner (Jays guy), it's a light drizzle but he thinks the game will go on.

2-6 here we come!

wooo! Been a week since I've been able to actually watch a game, so I'm looking forward to it, even if Buehrle will most likely get destroyed.

Syrinx

I will be going to the Mets' June 28 game against the Nationals. Looking forward to seeing them suck. Hope I can see Harvey or Wheeler pitch.

Looks like Corey Kluber's getting the start tonight for the Tribe against the Yankees. All I'm hoping for is that this doesn't turn into the disaster that the last two games have been.

So glad we wasted $7 million on Brett Myers :/.

Was just checking Twitter for updates regarding the Jays rain delay and there are people talking about Casper Wells being picked up by the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom