• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

On Baseball Central they were talking about all the gang activity that goes on in the California ballparks and how fights in the stands and parking lots are quite frequent. Is it really that bad?

On Baseball Central they were talking about all the gang activity that goes on in the California ballparks and how fights in the stands and parking lots are quite frequent. Is it really that bad?

I went to a ton of Giants games and never saw any fights.

It should be a 25 game suspension just for charging the mound, regardless of injury. Stop these dumbasses from feeling like they have to prove how tough they are.

I can't speak for this season as I haven't gone yet. Last year I saw only one fight happen but that was between two drunks. I haven't really seen anything gang related.

JABEE

It should be a 25 game suspension just for charging the mound, regardless of injury. Stop these dumbasses from feeling like they have to prove how tough they are.

This has been happening forever. Why is this incident the thing that should spark a 25 game suspension? Is it because Los Angeles's $100 million+ investment was injured in this incident?

This has been happening forever. Why is this incident the thing that should spark a 25 game suspension? Is it because Los Angeles's $100 million+ investment was injured in this incident?

No because its stupid and pointless and eventually leads to shit like injuries happening. It's in the leagues best interest for players not to get injured doing stupid shit, especially not on the field. I have always thought this "let the players police themselves!" stuff to be stupid. Thats some john kruk/joe morgan outdated crap. Baseball players are goddamn morons they can't police themselves. The damn umps and league should be policing them that's what they are there for. Fights and brawls used to be commonplace in the NBA too and they cleaned that shit up because it was in their best interest to do so.

Sanjuro

I don't mind it. I think it's a better mindset than my pitcher has to get me back. Either way, neither are going away.

Sanjuro

Giving in. Heading into the film 42. Haven't been to the cinema in a long time, have a weird desire to see this even though everything looks terrible. Some of the reviews have been surprising.

JABEE

No because its stupid and pointless and eventually leads to shit like injuries happening. It's in the leagues best interest for players not to get injured doing stupid shit, especially not on the field. I have always thought this "let the players police themselves!" stuff to be stupid. Thats some john kruk/joe morgan outdated crap. Baseball players are goddamn morons they can't police themselves. The damn umps and league should be policing them that's what they are there for. Fights and brawls used to be commonplace in the NBA too and they cleaned that shit up because it was in their best interest to do so.

I agree, but they should have done that before the season started. Suspending someone over the precedent for doing something that has been done in baseball for a long time is stupid.

Baseball fights for the most part are stupid. It's just a bunch of people tugging on each other for 5 minutes and then 10 minutes of sitting around for punishments to be decided.

My contention is that this was a problem before today and it should been addressed then. Changing the precedent for a common offense because a star player was hurt is a bad decision for a league interested in promoting fair play and adherence to guidelines.

Baseball brawls are nothing new. If you want to change punishment norms you shouldn't do it on the fly before adjustments can be made. It would be like Shanahan in the NHL deciding with no announcement that players can be suspended for 25 games for getting into a fight. Fights may be commonplace in the NHL, but the same logic can be applied to the severe overreaction to both offenses.

I agree, but they should have done that before the season started. Suspending someone over the precedent for doing something that has been done in baseball for a long time is stupid.

Baseball fights for the most part are stupid. It's just a bunch of people tugging on each other for 5 minutes and then 10 minutes of sitting around for punishments to be decided.

My contention is that this was a problem before today and it should been addressed then. Changing the precedent for a common offense because a star player was hurt is a bad decision for a league interested in promoting fair play and adherence to guidelines.

Baseball brawls are nothing new. If you want to change punishment norms you shouldn't do it on the fly before adjustments can be made. It would be like Shanahan in the NHL deciding with no announcement that players can be suspended for 25 games for getting into a fight. Fights may be commonplace in the NHL, but the same logic can be applied to the severe overreaction to both offenses.

You won't get an argument from me there. This shouldn't be reactionary. It should be an across the board change made during the offseason. You can't just make Quentin a scapegoat because a guy got hurt and the next brawl will be business as usual. Like I said, automatic suspensions for rushing the mound, intentionally throwinf at guys and leaving the dugout will stop these idiots with the quickness. If they want to settle business themselves, do it in the parking lot on their own time and dime.

Meier

Giving in. Heading into the film 42. Haven't been to the cinema in a long time, have a weird desire to see this even though everything looks terrible. Some of the reviews have been surprising.

Whoa, I was totally expecting that it would be terrible since there were only about 6 reviews as late as Wednesday. There must have been a crazy tight embargo for reviews for some reason.. you never see that on something that's pretty good but it's up to 72% now at least.

RBH

Not sure if these have been posted yet - Screens of Marlins Park during the Braves series. (lolol). Sorry about the size:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

k-bigpic.jpg

Yikes.

Sanjuro

Whoa, I was totally expecting that it would be terrible since there were only about 6 reviews as late as Wednesday. There must have been a crazy tight embargo for reviews for some reason.. you never see that on something that's pretty good but it's up to 72% now at least.

Yeah. This looked like a 30-40% project that middle schools would show to stupid school kids. The reviews still aren't raving. They share the same sentiment I have, except the performances are fairly genuine.

BFIB

Heading to the Cards game tonight to see the next round of beatdowns on the Brew Crew.

Gonna be fucking cold. First game of the year though, I'm pumped!

Gattis' defense at catcher was MUCH better than everyone was saying about him. As long as he can throw his face in front of ground balls, I'm for it.

I went to Padres games quite a bit from 2005-2008 and it honestly felt more like a really well-attended Minor League game a lot of the time. Big-name opponents like the Dodgers or a popular east coast team would bring more (and different) fans out, but random games against, say, the Rockies were about as chill as you'd expect from a San Diego crowd. Weekends tended to be drunker, Sundays tended to have more kids. When they played the Reds I'd wear my gear and was never given a hard time for it. I never felt like violence was imminent or anything.

Parch

I agree charging the mound is starting to get stupid. Hitters have done it when they haven't even been hit by the pitch. Pitchers need to throw inside, but hitters take offense to that and are trying to intimidate to take that away from the pitchers.

They'd have to significantly increase the penalty for intentionally beaning a hitter if they increase the penalty for charging the mound. Pitchers might get thrown out of one game for plunking a hitter, but 25 games for charging the mound? Not fair. Maybe the number of suspension games for hitters and pitchers should be a judgement call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom