• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

He filed to elucidate his point, but it's true that smart pitchers pitch differently when they're up by several runs than they do in a game that's close. You can afford to just fire it in there ad dare them to hit it. Saves your arm a lot of stress over the course of a season. You don't WANT to give up runs - that's an idiotic thing for Kenny to say as well, but thinking of players as numbers rather than breathing creatures leads him to say a lot of stupid shit himself.
This has never been backed up by the stats.

Brashnir

This has never been backed up by the stats.

I'll trust the words of a bunch of hall of fame pitchers over some guy with a calculator. Have you ever pitched competitively? It hurts. Your fingertips go numb after a dozen or so high-effort pitches, and stop recovering between innings after 50 or so. Saving your arm when you're up by 4 runs is a big thing when you've got to do it all again in 5 days.

Doytch

I'll trust the words of a bunch of hall of fame pitchers over some guy with a calculator. Have you ever pitched competitively? It hurts. Your fingertips go numb after a dozen or so high-effort pitches, and stop recovering between innings after 50 or so. Saving your arm when you're up by 4 runs is a big thing when you've got to do it all again in 5 days.
The stats tell us that top pitchers do not give up more runs/hits/walks when they're comfortably ahead than at other times. Lets assume they do let up, that they do take something off their effort level. This implies that letting up has done nothing to their efficacy as a pitcher. Why wouldn't they then just pitch at this lower effort level all the time, if it hurts less and saves your arm?

BTW, as someone who does compete in athletics at an ehhh, fairly decent level and is heavily invested in things like nutrition, physiology and biology, I've learned one thing: Never trust the top athletes. The number of bafflingly-stupid things I've heard from top cyclists or runners or triathletes or swimmers about basic physiology and training is staggering. And those athletes are way smarter than idiotic baseball players who slam Red Bulls, still drink Gatorade, and wouldn't have a shot in hell of guessing what periodization is.

alstein

The stats tell us that top pitchers do not give up more runs/hits/walks when they're comfortably ahead than at other times. Lets assume they do let up, that they do take something off their effort level. This implies that letting up has done nothing to their efficacy as a pitcher. Why wouldn't they then just pitch at this lower effort level all the time, if it hurts less and saves your arm?

BTW, as someone who does compete in athletics at an ehhh, fairly decent level and is heavily invested in things like nutrition, physiology and biology, I've learned one thing: Never trust the top athletes. The number of bafflingly-stupid things I've heard from top cyclists or runners or triathletes or swimmers about basic physiology and training is staggering. And those athletes are way smarter than idiotic baseball players who slam Red Bulls, still drink Gatorade, and wouldn't have a shot in hell of guessing what periodization is.

It may not be that they're giving up, but that they're aiming to throw strikes/willing to risk getting hit more.

My dad did pitch competitively , and we said they used to fine folks for walking guys when up big.

Fox318

12CFhIn.png

Sanjuro

Damn. I was looking forward to it.

Saying I was looking forward to it is an understatement. I've wanted to head into the hub every night this week, this is just something surreal.

They haven't re-scheduled the game yet, so not sure when my tickets are valid. I hope there is some sort of double header this weekend.

Riggs

Banned
Well definitely no Red Sox tonight I guess. Just surprised as shit he's still on the lose. I only started following this at like 4AM, gave up at 10AM, woke up at 5PM (all EST), and still nothing.

3N16MA

Banned
He filed to elucidate his point, but it's true that smart pitchers pitch differently when they're up by several runs than they do in a game that's close. You can afford to just fire it in there ad dare them to hit it. Saves your arm a lot of stress over the course of a season. You don't WANT to give up runs - that's an idiotic thing for Kenny to say as well, but thinking of players as numbers rather than breathing creatures leads him to say a lot of stupid shit himself.

So you're saying that a Cliff Lee or Felix Hernandez is going to change the way they pitch if their team is up 4-1? Why wouldn't they pitch in the same matter considering it has been successful at holding the opposition to 1 run? Why change from what is successful to another style?

If you're going to say they do it to save their arm then why not use the less stressful style all the time? It's good enough to get hitters out and preserve a lead so it must be good enough to use at the start of a game.

carlos

Braves sucking badly today...I blame starting Laird at C; when Gattis starts, braves pitchers haven't allowed more than 2 runs.

suEcide

Fucking. Toronto. Fuck, fuck, fuck...

On a lighter note, I saw Lawrie was on base. I missed that. Did he get his first hit, or walked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom