• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calamity in Boston?

tqUxz.gif

dvdjamm

Adam Rosales got robbed of a 9th inning game tying homer by the blind umpires

One of the umps is Angel Hernandez...OK,that explains it

Opiate

I'm trying to decide if it's actually possible to intelligently spend 200M on a team.

I don't mean to suggest that money is worthless in baseball. Clearly it isn't. But at some point the returns become profoundly diminishing, and it seems to me that a team would be much better off not spending money and keeping their farm system intact than spending just because they're "supposed to" and buying up expensive, aging, injury prone all stars at the expense of their draft picks.

If I had to guess, it feels like being a mid-tier franchise is best right now, if run competently. Not enough money to be fast and loose with your drafting, but enough that you can keep a few stars if some blossom.

Oozer3993

What in the what. That is the first time I can ever remember the Indians benefiting from a terrible call. Usually they just get screwed by them.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm trying to decide if it's actually possible to intelligently spend 200M on a team.

I don't mean to suggest that money is worthless in baseball. Clearly it isn't. But at some point the returns become profoundly diminishing, and it seems to me that a team would be much better off not spending money and keeping their farm system intact than spending just because they're "supposed to" and buying up expensive, aging, injury prone all stars at the expense of their draft picks.

If I had to guess, it feels like being a mid-tier franchise is best right now, if run competently. Not enough money to be fast and loose with your drafting, but enough that you can keep a few stars if some blossom.

Except its not feasible to do this now thanks to restrictions on bonuses for both domestic and international players - the pool in 2013/2013 was under 3 million for instance.

Although theres loopholes that some teams have already jumped through like the Rays intentionally going WAY over the cap on international players in a year and just living with the punishment a year later (they can't sign a single international player for more than 250k).

I'd imagine many more teams are going to follow suit with the spend a truckload money can't sign anybody the following year strategy that the Rays used last year.

On that note teams can actually trade away and trade for international spending money. The Rays pool this year is quite large but they can't actually spend much of it due to the penalties so they will probably be trading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom