• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
harperhit2_medium.gif

#dead

Is there any video of the Riveria and Chamberlain 'shush' moment?

I'm behind the news but it amazes me that he think he can talk to someone like Mo like that.

eznark

Banned
Holy shit, the Brewers won?

Oh wait, it was the Pirates. Move along.

If you didn't watch it, it was the most Brewers - Pirates game ever. The Pirates had like 14 errors but the Brewers were just barely able to scrape together a run an inning as a result. The Brewers got every single close call (incidentally all but one were correct). The Pirates flat shit all over themselves.

Hey man... the Pirates are good. It's only a matter of time before they take back Pittsburgh from the Steelers and restore it to its rightful place as a baseball-town.

eznark

Banned
There were like 20 people at the game last night and they are playing great baseball. Yeah...baseball town.

Cincinnati on the other hand, packed for the weekend games! It was awesome. Even if the good people of Cincinnati have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to non motor sports, baseball in particular.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/05/13/sports/baseball/money-on-the-bench.html?hp&hp&_r=1&

They forgot Motte on the Cards, so that brings the total up close to $40 mil.

Now imagine a gimped Pujols that would most likely not be playing right now if he were still on the Cards.

Thank you based Angels!

EDIT: Didn't see the player detail link, so they have it correct.

That's an awesome website! Thanks for the link. I was just checking out Pujols' stats and, damn, he's batting under .240. Tragic stuff. I know it's terrible of me, but I cannot help but laugh when I see him flailing and his team in general sucking. I'm sure I'll get what's coming to me for that some day, but for now, I'll be salty and enjoy it.

BFIB

That's an awesome website! Thanks for the link. I was just checking out Pujols' stats and, damn, he's batting under .240. Tragic stuff. I know it's terrible of me, but I cannot help but laugh when I see him flailing and his team in general sucking. I'm sure I'll get what's coming to me for that some day, but for now, I'll be salty and enjoy it.

I never had any ill will towards his decision. Sure, it sucked having a franchise icon leave (and his wife's comments sure didn't help matters), but that contract would have basically meant a 2-3 year window to win, and then most likely bottom feeding with no payroll flexibility for the next decade.

Watching him play now, its almost sad. Guy seriously needs to take some time off, but there's no way he will.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/05/13/sports/baseball/money-on-the-bench.html?hp&hp&_r=1&

They forgot Motte on the Cards, so that brings the total up close to $40 mil.

Now imagine a gimped Pujols that would most likely not be playing right now if he were still on the Cards.

Thank you based Angels!
We would be panicking at the prospect of paying him $20M+ for the next 8 years but I think our team with a DL'd Pujols would still be competing this year. No Beltran would mean a dip in production but Adams playing more would offset that a little bit. Now once you look beyond this year, Albert's contract would've likely ruled out the Wainwright and Molina extensions as well as any payroll flexibility for marginal upgrades for the next several seasons. Plus, the compensation pick we got for losing Pujols was used for Wacha, who could be an impact arm as early as next year.

Things really couldn't have turned out better for the Cards wrt his free agency and departure. It's kinda funny how a bulk of that Pujols money went towards the 3 guys who were involved with one of the greater Cardinal moments in postseason history.

eznark

Banned
How would you even tell with Harper? Would he start speaking like an adult and suddenly learn how to do simple math?

"He hasn't said "bro" in three sentences, get him to the emergency room!"

Granderson has been activated from the DL and is starting in LF tonight.

Mariners 5/14 Starting Lineup:
1. Michael Saunders - CF
2. Jason Bay - LF
3. Kyle Seager - 3B
4. Kendrys Morales - 1B
5. Mike Morse - RF
6. Kelly Shoppach - C
7. Raul Ibanez - DH
8. Robert Andino - 2B
9. Brendan Ryan - SS
SP - Felix Hernandez

Yankees 5/14 Starting Lineup:
1. Brett Gardner - CF
2. Robinson Cano - 2B
3. Vernon Wells - DH
4. Curtis Granderson - LF
5. Lyle Overbay - 1B
6. Jayson Nix - SS
7. Ichiro Suzuki - RF
8. Chris Nelson - 3B
9. Austin Romine - C
SP - C.C. Sabathia

I didn't know relievers logged in so many innings back then. They cuddle players too much now.

It's all pitchers that get coddled now. Randy Johnson threw a 160 pitches in a start in September 1992 where he struck out 18 in 8 innings. People's heads would fucking melt if someone even came close to that. Remember the shitstorm Kirk Gibson went through for Edwin Jackson's no-hitter when he threw 149?

Opiate

We would be panicking at the prospect of paying him $20M+ for the next 8 years but I think our team with a DL'd Pujols would still be competing this year. No Beltran would mean a dip in production but Adams playing more would offset that a little bit. Now once you look beyond this year, Albert's contract would've likely ruled out the Wainwright and Molina extensions as well as any payroll flexibility for marginal upgrades for the next several seasons. Plus, the compensation pick we got for losing Pujols was used for Wacha, who could be an impact arm as early as next year.

Things really couldn't have turned out better for the Cards wrt his free agency and departure. It's kinda funny how a bulk of that Pujols money went towards the 3 guys who were involved with one of the greater Cardinal moments in postseason history.

I've said this before, but imagine how bad the Angels position would be now if Trout hadn't succeeded so spectacularly. Hamilton, Pujols, still paying for Wells, Wilson is aging, and so forth. To make matters worse, those contracts are very backloaded and are going to get significantly more expensive even as Hamilton/Pujols/Wilson reach their middle 30s.

I completely agree that the Pujols departure worked perfectly for STL. We got all of Pujols HoF caliber seasons at a discount, and now the Angels get to pay for them.

I've said this before, but imagine how bad the Angels position would be now if Trout hadn't succeeded so spectacularly. Hamilton, Pujols, still paying for Wells, Wilson is aging, and so forth. To make matters worse, those contracts are very backloaded and are going to get significantly more expensive even as Hamilton/Pujols/Wilson reach their middle 30s.
I completely agree that the Pujols departure worked perfectly for STL. We got all of Pujols HoF caliber seasons at a discount, and now the Angels get to pay for them.
Can't leave out the part where the Angels gave up Jean Segura for a Greinke rental. The one player they should've opened the checkbook for ended up going to their cross-town rival. The Dodgers have their own issues with bloated contracts but at least they aren't making the wrong move at every juncture. Paying Vernon Wells $29M to OPS .875 for the Yankees after they gave up Napoli for his contract (and a sub .700 OPS with the Angels) is hilarious. You've gotta wonder how many more mistakes the Angels GM can make before he gets canned.

3N16MA

Banned
Can't leave out the part where the Angels gave up Jean Segura for a Greinke rental. The one player they should've opened the checkbook for ended up going to their cross-town rival. The Dodgers have their own issues with bloated contracts but at least they aren't making the wrong move at every juncture. Paying Vernon Wells $29M to OPS .875 for the Yankees after they gave up Napoli for his contract (and a sub .700 OPS with the Angels) is hilarious. You've gotta wonder how many more mistakes the Angels GM can make before he gets canned.

Angels can't catch a break. Yanks turn dirt into gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom