• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT| - Natinals Already Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

From Chronicle comments section, hot dogs at the Astros/Rangers game :

Friends of mine at the game tonight reported that they ran out of hot dogs.

Come on Jim Crane, a majority of us can accept you not spending (wasting) money on over paid free agents while we "re-build" but it's really low for fans paying retail ($56 for a dugout seat) to not be able buy a hot dog for $5 especially because you want to eliminate spoilage on an 8 cent product.

dark times lol :l

Opiate

I'm not sure what to think of the Cardinals for the year, but I can say I'm excited for the future. We already have several exciting young players on the team (Jay, Rosenthal, Miller, Kelly) and there are quite a few more rising through the ranks to be added within the next few years.

As another note, the small sample size available so far always reminds me of players who start off slow -- or who are notorious for having dry spells at some point in the year -- and how you always have fans arguing, "well if you take out August they hit 300 with XXX OPS" etc. etc.

And if it's a single one off event, that's not entirely unreasonable. But some players start making this a habit, with a slow first month, or they tire down the stretch, or just have random bursts and dry spells. At that point, taking out the bad patches becomes a meaningless exercise because you can expect them to happen again. A guy who consistently hits .270 through out the year is not worse than a guy who also averages.270 but actually hits .330 for the second half of the year -- unless you have real reason to believe that .330 is sustainable going forward.

I'm not sure what to think of the Cardinals for the year, but I can say I'm excited for the future. We already have several exciting young players on the team (Jay, Rosenthal, Miller, Kelly) and there are quite a few more rising through the ranks to be added within the next few years.
Rosenthal was electric tonight; can't wait for him to get his shot in a starting role. Hopefully not because of an injury to our better starters though.

Can't imagine Beltran staying healthy and productive through another season so we may see Taveras up before long.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
xMH1v.gif

Nice!
Great game MadBum!
Romo is a beast as usual.

GG. On to the next one....Timmy time!

Edit: Buster and the team's gotta work on the DPs.....this just won't do.
On the other hand, our starters have been lights out so far with a 0.00 ERA! :)

Syrinx

As another note, the small sample size available so far always reminds me of players who start off slow -- or who are notorious for having dry spells at some point in the year --
and how you always have fans arguing, "well if you take out August they hit 300 with XXX OPS" etc. etc.

And if it's a single one off event, that's not
entirely unreasonable. But some players start making this a habit, with a slow first month, or they tire down the stretch, or just have random bursts and dry spells. At that point, taking out the bad patches becomes a meaningless exercise because you can
expect them to happen again. A guy who consistently hits .270 through out the year is not worse than a guy who also averages.270 but actually hits .330 for the second half of the year -- unless you have real reason to believe that .330 is sustainable going forward.
I don't have too much of a problem with people bringing up your August example. The season is six months long and most players do go through some stretch where they aren't quite as productive. Though I suppose when that's the case, it's a moot point to bring up with individual players.

But I think you're right about people who invoke this argument when talking about stretches like a quarter or third or even half the season. Sometimes it seems guys start getting MVP talk when they're having great second halves, and then you go and look and see that the guy was straight mediocre in the first half.

clav

I drafted that Dodger pitcher, Ryu, near the end of this year's draft.

WHIP is concerning after tonight's performance.

Any thoughts about him?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Welcome home Mr. Morse..

Feel sorry for Darvish, too.

Opiate

I don't have too much of a problem with people bringing up your August example. The season is six months long and most players do go through some stretch where they aren't quite as productive. Though I suppose when that's the case, it's a moot point to bring up with individual players.

But I think you're right about people who invoke this argument when talking about stretches like a quarter or third or even half the season. Sometimes it seems guys start getting MVP talk when they're having great second halves, and then you go and look and see that the guy was straight mediocre in the first half.

I have much less problem in general if they go through the next season performing consistently at a high rate, too.

It's only a problem for those select players you can essentially rely on to get injured once a year. Some guys play 120 games, consistently, year in and year out. Or guys who always start slow.

If it's a once-in-a-career slump for a month or two, then I can see cutting it out and pretending the slump doesn't exist. But if you slump every year for a month, then cutting it out simply doesn't make sense because it's clearly part of who they are.

Blackace

Iwakuma looked solid tonight I hope he can keep it up

He's not highly touted. The only value you'll get is because Furcal is out for the year.
Thx for the info..
This years minor draft I tried to look for the hidden gems that I may get lucky with in the future(I'm in a keeper league). My first pick(4th overall) was the SS from Houston. I needed to fill some minor leaguer spots in my roster so I tried to grab as much middle infielders I can...

Blackace

I want out of Bizarro World

It's been awhile but not unheard of..

Before Monday's Mariners-Athletics game, Seattle starting pitcher Felix Hernandez gave Oakland catcher John Jaso a gift: a brand new gold Rolex. What's the occasion? Well, the former Mariner Jaso was the catcher for Hernandez's perfect game in Seattle last summer. The back of the watch is inscribed with "8/15/12", the date of the perfect game.

Perhaps ironically, Jaso was the A's hitter who broke up Hernandez's perfect came on Monday, doubling in the fourth inning after Hernandez set down the first ten hitters in a row. That would be Jaso's one hit of the game, and one of three for the A's on the game in their 2-0 defeat to Seattle.

only in Baseball

Opiate

It's been awhile but not unheard of..

only in Baseball

I just want to point out that the Mariners are not just leading the AL West, but actually have the best record in baseball; no one else has started 2-0, amazingly enough. Many still haven't played 2 games, though.

RdN

Damn.. Just saw Darvish`s outing. Losing a perfect game with 2 outs on the 9th must be one of the must frustrating things in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom