• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Zack Wheeler is tipping his pitches:

CHICAGO (AP) -- New York Mets manager Terry Collins said top prospect Zack Wheeler is tipping his breaking pitches.

Collins said in his pregame media session Wednesday the Mets noticed the flaw in Wheeler's motion during his second big league start a night earlier. Wheeler allowed four runs in 5 1-3 innings against the Chicago White Sox.

''We saw it. We tried to address it during the game a little bit,'' Collins said.

The 23-year-old right-hander is scheduled to start again Sunday, and Collins says pitching coach Dan Warthen will work with Wheeler during a bullpen session Thursday.

''Guys look for it all the time. It starts with the glove,'' said Collins. ''Moving the glove there's different things to look for and then all of sudden you start to look when he speeds up, when he slows down, what the pitches are. You start to get a read on it.''

Collins said he's talking publicly about it because the problem was so obvious he received about 10 text messages and emails alerting him to the issue.

''This is going to get out as a scouting report, but he's been tipping his off-speed stuff more than his fastball,'' Collins said. ''We've got to fix it. We'll fix it tomorrow.''

Collins said Wheeler was also tipping is pitches in his debut, when he tossed six shutout innings.

''It shows you what kind of stuff he's got,'' said Collins.

MiKeD

Banned
id like too, but his stuff wasnt really overwhemling. Yankees are really that bad. Cano cant do it all.

Talking more about location of his fastballs, getting ahead in pitch counts etc...
Not all pitchers have an overwhelming pitching arsenal and it's not a given to shut out an offense over 9 innings, even if you're playing against a depleted Yankess offense.

cashman

Banned
Looks like the Yankees wanted to catch their flight a little bit more then the rangers did today.

Also Engel Beltre got his first two hits!

According to Darling, Wheeler was slowing down his delivery when throwing his off-speed pitches. He didn’t do this during his first start, against the Braves, and, according to people who watched him in Las Vegas, he wasn’t doing this in Triple-A. So, it was clearly an anomaly and something I’m sure this group of professionals will be able to tackle.
conflicting reports.

MiKeD

Banned
Intentionally walking Kendrick, loading the bases, to get to Hamilton.

Oh how the mighty have fallen...
Grand slam coming up

XiaNaphryz

conflicting reports.

Fangraphs quick look:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/zack-wheeler-is-tipping-his-pitches/

I don’t know about you, but I see three different pitches, three distinctly different resting spots for his glove. The curveball is close and at the letters, the fastball shows more separation from his body at about the same height, and the slider comes to a rest close and a little bit lower than the curve.

This is the sort of thing that young starters deal with from time to time, and the Mets’ staff is sure that they can fix this quickly. It’s probably just as easy as identifying the one, most comfortable resting spot at each point in his delivery, and repeating this. As long as this is actually where the tipping is happening (and his release point seems fine), then it’s more easily fixed than most other mechanical issues. He’s at rest. Just find a good resting spot. Rinse and repeat.

So Zack Wheeler is tipping his pitches. But it’s probably not that big of a deal. The control? That’s the more difficult problem.

XiaNaphryz

I meant he wasn't tipping in the Braves game. I watched him that start and he was pretty consistent.

Sounds like the tipping they were referring to was also something to do with the glove though, so it might not just be the delivery speed.

But as the article mentions, it'll all likely be addressed quickly anyway.

turnbuckle

This may have already been posted previously but I hadn't seen it -

Baseball Prospectus started a couple new podcasts this season.

Baseball Prospectus - Fringe Average
Mike Ferrin (from MLB Network Radio) and Professor Parks discussing stuff from the majors and minors. It's very similar to Up and In - Mike isn't Kevin Goldstein but he's pretty good so far.

Baseball Prospectus - TINSTAAPP Podcast all about pitching. They talk a lot about pitching mechanics, what they're seeing from pitchers around the league and in the minors, and they do a weekly "matchup" where they talk in depth about what they're seeing from the starting pitchers of a specific game. I've only listened to the episode that went into detail on the Verlander/Darvish matchup from a month ago but I thought it was a good listen and quite insightful.

I haven't listened to the awful Baseball Tonight podcast in months. I listen to Keith Law's weekly podcast and the ESPN fantasy focus podcast, but these BP podcasts are scratching a different itch for me.

Well. Maybe there will be heavy rain and they'll call the game. After the first inning I thought this was going to be a big game for the Jays. Lester looks like crap. Maybe they'll come back.

Lexxism

What's more, I can't believe Bautista didn't catch the damn ball! They might be able to minimize the damage if he caught it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Looks like the Mets are back to their usual routine: Great starting pitching with no run support.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
more people were interested in a burning light bulb than the bottom of the 11th at nats park. Natitude knows when it has lost.

Top Bottom