• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

3N16MA

Banned
Soriano might be coming home

Via George King: The Yankees are close to acquiring Alfonso Soriano from the Cubs. Chicago will pay the bulk of the $25M or so left on his contract through next season, and the money will be structured in such a way that Soriano has no impact on the 2014 luxury tax calculation, similar to Vernon Wells. King says the Yankees will send a mid-level prospect to the Cubbies.

Soriano, 37, has ten-and-five no-trade protection, but he has indicated he will not veto a deal to return to New York in the past. He came into Monday’s action hitting .259/.289/.476 (103 wRC+) with 17 homers this season, including a 123 wRC+ against lefties. Following what has become an annual slow start, he’s put up a .300/.326/.744 (186 wRC+) line with ten homers over the last 30 days. The Yankees are desperate for power, particularly from the right side, so Soriano definitely fills a need.

http://riveraveblues.com/2013/07/king-yankees-close-to-acquiring-alfonso-soriano-91274/

Ugh. An actual decent performance by Ubaldo wasted today. Only gave up two runs. He is doing a bit better now.

Sucks we couldn't score more than a run. Put Swisher back in his normal spot, dammit! xD

Good stuff though, M's.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Yankees are close to trading for... drumroll... Alfonso Soriano!

Edit: and I should have scrolled up before posting. /fail

Yankees would cover remaining 2013 salary but Cubs would have to chip in some for his $18 million 2014 salary. Soriano would also have to approve the trade since he has full no-trade power due to 10/5 rights.

Mariners play by play guy is a little bit too excited.

I REALLY don't like him. Someone grounds out to the second baseman and he has a fucking meltdown, it gets old real quick.

M's have quickly been playing really well, been fun to watch.
And in classic Seattle sports, I pretty much expect it to all come crashing down at any point and lose 20 in a row.

Malo

Banned
Yankees don't tank fool. At least we won't get to see anymore of Vernon Wells. Maybe they can get Kendrys Morales to DH and play 1B.
We should tank. Our offense sucks and our minor league system has taken a step back this year. Even if we somehow manage to make the playoffs, we're going to be fodder for the team we face. It's time to tank and rebuild.

Yankees are very close to acquiring Soriano and the deal could be done by tomorrow evening. Soriano has indicated to the Cubs that he will not block the trade. The final hold-up is agreeing on how much the Cubs will cover of his $18 million 2014 salary.

No Jays trade rumors?

That usually means the Jays are about to make a deal that will shake the very foundation of the organization.

Then they will still suck.

jl4855

No Jays trade rumors?

That usually means the Jays are about to make a deal that will shake the very foundation of the organization.

scouts at sunday's game from the reds and nats were watching buerhle (reds), rasmus and lind (nats).

No Jays trade rumors?

Grilli went down in Pittsburgh, so they must be looking for bullpen help now. That's about all the Jays have to offer right now. Though after last night, I'm not sure who would want any of them.

That is a desperate and overpay for Garza. Thought he should only be worth Grimm and maybe a lesser prospect for a rental. If Billy Beane got involved then props to him. Cubs arent afraid to stockpile talent at one position, Rangers are too afraid to do anything with their prospects.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That is a desperate and overpay for Garza. Thought he should only be worth Grimm and maybe a lesser prospect for a rental. If Billy Beane got involved then props to him. Cubs arent afraid to stockpile talent at one position, Rangers are too afraid to do anything with their prospects.

Really? Overpay?

Mike Olt has been terrible this year. Justin Grimm is a back end of the rotation guy. Matt Garza is pretty damn good.

And how exactly are the Rangers too afraid to do anything? They just traded a bunch for actual major league talent.

RBH

Why the fuck is Soriano coming back home? I want to tank dammit!

When am I going to get avatar quoted?

image.php

eznark

Banned
Really? Overpay?

Mike Olt has been terrible this year. Justin Grimm is a back end of the rotation guy. Matt Garza is pretty damn good.

And how exactly are the Rangers too afraid to do anything? They just traded a bunch for actual major league talent.

Olt is handicapped at this point and lord knows if he will ever recover but if he does he is an easy 5 with 6 potential. He has one of those bizarre swings that misses a lot of balls in the zone but he has power. Grimm is a potential #3 ceiling.

The Cubs got that (and other pieces) for essentially nothing. They aren't in contention and they weren't going to resign Garza.

Really? Overpay?

Because its a rental and they don't have enough offense to compete this year for a WS. Should've just waited it out and aign him in the offseason if they want him that bad. To me its an overpay even if Olt stays a AAAA player.

Yea, rumor has it Billy got involved and made the price tag increase.

BFIB

One would think that the Rangers already have an extension offer in mind for Garza. But this is what, 3 years now that they have made a big splash for pitching while giving up top talent?

eznark

Banned
One would think that the Rangers already have an extension offer in mind for Garza. But this is what, 3 years now that they have made a big splash for pitching while giving up top talent?

People said the same thing about the Angels last year though, so I'm not giving teams the benefit of that doubt any longer.

eznark

Banned
Gary Whitta ‏@garywhitta 2m
Wow, the SF Giants are SHIT this year. What happened?

Just wanted this recorded for the next time Whitta drive-by's this thread with his bandwagon bullshit pretending to care about baseball.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Mets need to unload anyone another team will take. Byrd, Murphy, Ike, Tejada, Parnell, Hawkins. Get bullpen and OF help. This same carousel bullshit year after year is tiring.

BFIB

Mets need to unload anyone another team will take. Byrd, Murphy, Ike, Tejada, Parnell, Hawkins. Get bullpen and OF help. This same carousel bullshit year after year is tiring.

I'd like to have Byrd in a Cards uni for the playoff stretch.

jbug617

Banned
Pedroia and the Red Sox agree to an extension. Around 14 million per year.

@bradfo 24s

To clarify, per source, Pedroia, Sox agree to deal to begin after last guaranteed season and stretch to '21. Seven yrs, $100, full no-trade

cashman

Banned
Olt is handicapped at this point and lord knows if he will ever recover but if he does he is an easy 5 with 6 potential. He has one of those bizarre swings that misses a lot of balls in the zone but he has power. Grimm is a potential #3 ceiling.

The Cubs got that (and other pieces) for essentially nothing. They aren't in contention and they weren't going to resign Garza.

CJ Edwards is also a MORP ceiling guy and he hasn't given up a home run in the sally as well as Ramirez who has a 3 ceiling and bullpen floor.

Olt is the only guy with an outside chance of being a star but they still gave up a lot of major league talent for someone who doesn't take care of their weakness which is a righty power bat.

eznark

Banned
CJ Edwards is also a MORP ceiling guy and he hasn't given up a home run in the sally as well as Ramirez who has a 3 ceiling and bullpen floor.

Olt is the only guy with an outside chance of being a star but they still gave up a lot of major league talent for someone who doesn't take care of their weakness which is a righty power bat.

Calling A-ball arms "bullpen floor" guys is too far a stretch for me but Edwards is a good arm. I think the package really says just how concerned teams are about Olt's vision. I almost wonder if the Rangers were trying to unload him for anything they could get.

Meier

"Once we arrive at school, we're taught that the rules don't apply to us. You can't blame me for something that is emblematic of the University of Miami."

This is a quote I'd actually believe from Ryan Braun.

Top Bottom