• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

Malvingt2

Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal1m
Trade: #Braves announce acquisition of LHP Scott Downs from #Angels for RHP Cory Rasmus. Strong add to bullpen by Atlanta.

here we go

crpav

What if the PED/Steroid/HGH era was actually started and encouraged by Selig and MLB? The strike hurt the game and they needed something to liven it up and get fans back. You can't tell me that watching the amazing offensive seasons wasn't exciting at the time. There was no better time for casual fans. Reports of PED use leaked, stories got out, people didn't like the idea of a tainted game, investigations started and MLB hides and now implements testing and suspensions. There were other factors beihnd this as well. balls that were tighter and flew farther, fences being moved in and pitchers throwing more hittable pitches. Just a theory.

Malvingt2

Kevin McAlpin‏@KevinMcAlpin
#Braves have now made 2 unbelievable trades with the Angels in the last 8 months. T Hanson for J Walden & now C Rasmus for S Downs

Good..

Jake Peavy price still high as hell?

jbug617

Banned

Yeah. White Sox want top prospects and not to pay anything on his contract.

Rosenthal says Brian McCann to the Rangers in the offseason is a possibility.
Rangers called Miami about Stanton and scouted Bautista/Encarnacion

If the Braves go 28-29 the rest of the way, the Nationals would have to finish 39-17 to win the NL East by 1.0 game.

ianlaughnbuv8.gif

Yeah, no way that could happen. When's the last time a team collapsed that bad?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Great move, and we didn't give up much of anything either.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with this.

#Braves have now made 2 unbelievable trades with the Angels in the last 8 months. T Hanson for J Walden & now C Rasmus for S Downs

Good..

I would trade Cody Martin + T. Cunningham and a PTBNL for Peavy. Maybe. His injury history is too much to offer any pieces of actual value.

BFIB

I said it yesterday, but it bears repeating. Mo is going to overpay on Peavy. I just know it.

All these pitching prospects, and that is the best we'll get?

Fox318

I've heard from like 6 people today that said arods contract was the worst ever.

Wasn't Mike Hampton's worse considering his play?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's not that weird? It's the same logic as Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup, which is among the best food combinations out there.

I typically don't equate the flavor of tomato soup with that of ketchup. Tomato soup is usually a lot more savory.

eznark

Banned
I've heard from like 6 people today that said arods contract was the worst ever.

Wasn't Mike Hampton's worse considering his play?

Considering the Yankees have been able to at least try and spend freely during the entire contract duration that seems like a real dumb statement.

jbug617

Banned
Red Sox and the Phillies talked about Michael Young and Cliff Lee. Nothing is going to happen because Sox don't want trade their top prospects

What if the PED/Steroid/HGH era was actually started and encouraged by Selig and MLB? The strike hurt the game and they needed something to liven it up and get fans back. You can't tell me that watching the amazing offensive seasons wasn't exciting at the time. There was no better time for casual fans. Reports of PED use leaked, stories got out, people didn't like the idea of a tainted game, investigations started and MLB hides and now implements testing and suspensions. There were other factors beihnd this as well. balls that were tighter and flew farther, fences being moved in and pitchers throwing more hittable pitches. Just a theory.

What do you mean "what if"? This is exactly what happened. Unless you want to believe that Selig and the rest of the front offices and the media had no idea that guys were juicing in the 80s and 90s.

3N16MA

Banned
Barry Zito's contract is horrible. 6.8 fWAR with a 4.55 FIP/4.78 xFIP over the life of the contract. Giants got kicked in the balls and robbed for $126M.

3N16MA

Banned
Detroit was desperate for a closer a month ago and let out in the media they'd pay top dollar. Mets had the cheapest longterm alternative, but it seems Detroit went bottom-of-the-barrel. I mean Jose Veras? lol.

Veras is there to add depth and perhaps take on a save situation if Benoit cannot. Benoit has been very good as the closer which means the need that was there a month ago no longer exists.

Top Bottom