• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

sangreal

Dragging Ethier around by his jersey probably wasn't the most well thought out celebration

(yes I know they were trying to rip it off)

zulux21

Watch Peavy get shellacked in Fenway.

time will have to tell as far as i can find peavy has only pitched in Fenway once (which was in 2011)
3Q1wp.png

given how things are going for the white sox this season though, peavy will likely return to his old cy young form and be the best pitcher in the majors from here on out just because the white sox could have used that earlier to increase his trade value lol

zulux21

Only 8 games back now!!!!

:(

less than half of the games the white sox are back from first/wild card 2 :p

though the white sox are only 5.5 games ahead of where i want them to be.... darn astros sucking so much... on the plus side the marlins are only a half game behind the white sox... so if they win tomorrow and the sox lose the sox could be the second worst team in baseball... AW YEAH!

Man. So, I'm watching the replay of Indians and White Sox since I have MLB.TV now. I'm watching it from the White Sox telecast from when we had our big innings to see how they called it.

I couldn't believe how homertastic they were. Whenever the White Sox got a hit, or scored a run they'd yell YES! and just be generally extremely biased. Now, I know it's their local telecast. However, where's the professionalism? The Indians telecasts call the game pretty well, the only time showing excitement if it's a late comeback or a walk off in the ninth. Then National Telecasts where obviously they're unbiased.

Are most other teams local TV broadcasters like this? It was hilarious just hearing them call the game.

zulux21

Man. So, I'm watching the replay of Indians and White Sox since I have MLB.TV now. I'm watching it from the White Sox telecast from when we had our big innings to see how they called it.

I couldn't believe how homertastic they were. Whenever the White Sox got a hit, or scored a run they'd yell YES! and just be generally extremely biased. Now, I know it's their local telecast. However, where's the professionalism? The Indians telecasts call the game pretty well, the only time showing excitement if it's a late comeback or a walk off in the ninth. Then National Telecasts where obviously they're unbiased.

Are most other teams local TV broadcasters like this? It was hilarious just hearing them call the game.

the white sox announcer (Hawk) is notorious for being a homer, and it drives plenty of baseball fans bonkers.

I grew up with it, and I don't mind it (I can understand why people don't like it). Hawk can be annoying (especially when there is a call he feels is bad, he will bitch about it for innings), but i prefer to listen to a baseball game with an announcer that seems to actually give a crap about the team instead of just someone trying to do their best to say what is going on.

As for if other teams broadcasters are like it (aka they are clearly rooting for the team they are broadcasting for), some are (but not nearly as homery as Hawk is) and I enjoy those... some sound like they are just reading a script about what is going on... and I find those broadcasts really boring. (some also do a job like what you said... mostly straightforward but will root for their team in exciting moments)

1) Welcome to Hawk Harrellson
2) No. The best crew in the business are the Mets broadcasters Gary Cohen/Keith Hernandez/Ron Darling, known as "Gary, Keith, and Ron". Very passionate yet just as passionate about the opposition, and Keith fills the Charles Barkley role.

the white sox announcer (Hawk) is notorious for being a homer, and it drives plenty of baseball fans bonkers.

I grew up with it, and I don't mind it (I can understand why people don't like it). Hawk can be annoying (especially when there is a call he feels is bad, he will bitch about it for innings), but i prefer to listen to a baseball game with an announcer that seems to actually give a crap about the team instead of just someone trying to do their best to say what is going on.

As for if other teams broadcasters are like it (aka they are clearly rooting for the team they are broadcasting for), some are (but not nearly as homery as Hawk is) and I enjoy those... some sound like they are just reading a script about what is going on... and I find those broadcasts really boring. (some also do a job like what you said... mostly straightforward but will root for their team in exciting moments)

It didn't anger me or anything, or would it if we lost. Just I was surprised at how much there was!

Is he even more homerful when his other broadcasting partner is with him? I heard them say at the beginning the other guy is sick or something :(

1) Welcome to Hawk Harrellson
2) No. The best crew in the business are the Mets broadcasters Gary Cohen/Keith Hernandez/Ron Darling, known as "Gary, Keith, and Ron". Very passionate yet just as passionate about the opposition, and Keith fills the Charles Barkley role.

Cool, I'll watch some Mets sometime then.

zulux21

It didn't anger me or anything, or would it if we lost. Just I was surprised at how much there was!

Is he even more homerful when his other broadcasting partner is with him? I heard them say at the beginning the other guy is sick or something :(

I don't have mlb.tv (no point to pay for a season I don't want to watch lol, ill just catch free games from time to time) but Hawk is homerful in general. It's rubbed off a bit on steve stone but stone isn't nearly as homerful.

Honestly Hawk gets out of hand from time to time (ok at least a few times a game) and instead of a homer announcer with a lot of excitement he comes off as a raving fan lol. When Stone takes over (if hawk ever dies/retires) it should be better, I imagine it will become more like the white sox radio which still has a bit of homerism but has far fewer outbursts/dangnubbits.

that's the type of thing that bothers me when I watch a game with him... as if the game went to 20 innings he would still be bitching that they should have caught that ball at least once a half inning ><;

LOL I do like this guy actually. Very funny stuff. Tonight's Indians Sox game had some stuff like this.

The Umpire blocked Ramirez from a clear Double Play Ball, so Hawk wouldn't stop talking about it all game.

Then later, Michael Bourn raced down the line and spiked their Pitcher tonight which scored two which had him pretty wild too. I'm sure it'll be on youtube soon.

I don't have mlb.tv (no point to pay for a season I don't want to watch lol, ill just catch free games from time to time) but Hawk is homerful in general. It's rubbed off a bit on steve stone but stone isn't nearly as homerful.

Honestly Hawk gets out of hand from time to time (ok at least a few times a game) and instead of a homer announcer with a lot of excitement he comes off as a raving fan lol. When Stone takes over (if hawk ever dies/retires) it should be better, I imagine it will become more like the white sox radio which still has a bit of homerism but has far fewer outbursts/dangnubbits.

I was gifted with an account for my birthday so I didn't have to pay for it. It's why I'm just getting around to hearing him and other stuff now. But yeah, it's definitely interesting.

All the players involved will receive 50-game suspensions (aside from Melky Cabrera, Bartolo Colon, and Yasmani Grandal) in exchange for not appealing their case. This means all players will be eligible to return shortly before the season ends and into the postseason.

Alex Rodriguez was informed his deal for not fighting punishment would be a full suspension for 2013 and 2014. A-Rod is fighting it and MLB will likely pursue a lifetime suspension in response.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The best Hawk call ever was his stone fucking silence after Thome hit a Thornton pitch 600 feet to walk off the Sox in 2010.

"...

...and we'll be back."

zulux21

The best Hawk call ever was his stone fucking silence after Thome hit a Thornton pitch 600 feet to walk off the Sox in 2010.

"...

...and we'll be back."

the really odd thing... is that should be a forgettable moment for me (the white sox lost I don't have a long term memory for most losses) but for some reason I actually remember that lol

devilhawk

"...

...and we'll be back."
No, the best was quite a few years back when a Sox player jacked one and he went into the "you can put it on the boooooooooard.." but it ended with "oh no, dammit, he caught it!" For some reason I believe it was Dye at the plate, but it doesn't matter. It wasn't a enraged meltdown, just a perfect way to destroy his stupid catch phrase.

JABEE

A war is brewing.

A Rod is going to fight this suspension to the end.

MLB Tells The Union Who's Getting Suspended; Announcements Coming Soon
But by all accounts, there's one player who has no intention of making a deal. Alex Rodriguez's lawyer said Monday he plans to fight any suspension, and it could get ugly. Because MLB is going after Rodriguez for interfering with its investigation as well as for PED use, it is expected to punish him not under the drug policy, but under a catch-all "best interests of baseball" clause in the CBA. If so, Rodriguez would remain suspended while an appeal is heard by baseball's independent arbiter. Beyond that, his recourse could be to a federal court, or if the union decides to go to bat for Rodriguez, it could force the re-opening of negotiations on the CBA itself. The remaining $100 million or so Rodriguez's contract isn't the only thing at stake; the long labor peace that baseball is so proud of could be in danger as well.

http://deadspin.com/mlb-tells-the-union-whos-getting-suspended-announceme-974074611

JoseDFrog

Banned
A war is brewing.

A Rod is going to fight this suspension to the end.

MLB Tells The Union Who's Getting Suspended; Announcements Coming Soon

These announcements of announcements are getting boring. I want to see this as much as anyone, but people keep writing articles about a-rod every day and not a damn thing has happened yet.

I guess Hawk's "YOU CAN PUT IT ON DA BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARD... YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!" isn't much different than Mike Shannon's "GIT UP BABY, GIT UP!" but, some how, fuck Hawk.

6 game losing streak? Molina injured? I'm just going to sit in the dark and watch this on replay.

Opiate

Oof, tough week for the Cardinals!

I'm happy for the Pirates, though. It's always seemed like a town that were looking for any reason to go to the ballpark, but the Pirates refused to give them one for decades on end. Congrats to them!

What do you guys think the Braves should do with BJ once he gets back? The batting lineup we have now with Heyward at leadoff and Simmons back in 8th has done wonders for us, and Gattis has steadily contributed this month with timely hits and rbis if not performing up to the impossible standard he set earlier in the year. In my opinion since we have such a large division lead we could play him regularly and see if he can get hot but honestly I'd prefer he just come off the bench as a defensive replacement late in games at this point in the season. The outfield is performing well enough without him and the lineup is clicking extremely well right now, I see no reason to mess with it too heavily.

Top Bottom